2017 Opening Day Wine Contest

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

Bubba
Site Admin

2017 Opening Day Wine Contest

Post by Bubba »

It's time for this year's Killington Zone Opening Day Contest. For the price of a bottle of wine, priced in the range of $12 - $20, you get to enter your guess as to what date Killington will officially open for the season this Fall. It's not the day they blow out the mice, if they even bother to do so, it's the day they open for skiing and riding, even if it's just for pass holders and even if they have to close shortly thereafter. Here are the rules:

Each entrant must pick a date and state their wine offering. There can be more than one entry choosing the same date. The winner will be the person or persons who pick the date closest to the actual opening date without opening day having passed them by. (Example: Opening day is 11/1. There is an entry of 10/31 and another of 11/2. The winner is the person who guessed 11/2.) The winner(s) will receive half of the wine bottles; the other half will go toward a season opening party, the date and place to be determined. If opening day comes after the last entry date, there will be no winner and all of the wine will go toward drowning our depression about the late opening.

Entrants do not have to be of legal drinking age, however, if an underage entrant wins the contest, the wine will have to be picked up by a parent or guardian. (KillingtonZone does not condone nor contribute to underage drinking.)

Entries will be accepted through 2359 hours EDT on Monday, October 9, 2017. Contestants may change their entries up until the close of the contest after which all entries will be final.

Wine entries will be delivered to my house in Killington and will be held in my specially constructed, bomb and wino proof wine cellar until the wine party. The winner(s) will select their half of the entries at the party or before. As we have tried to do the past several years, the wine you pledge with your entry should be the wine delivered. "To Be Determined" as an entry is discouraged, although enforcing this as a hard rule has become a losing battle.

Post your dates and wines in this thread and I will record them. Please post your entry only. Admins reserve the right to remove or edit any posts deemed unrelated to this contest.

Please make sure to have your wine delivered to me no later than December 1st. Thank you.

Let the games begin!
[td=1,][b]Zoner[/b][/td][td=1,][b]Date[/b][/td][td=1,][b]Wine[/b][/td][td=1,][b]Delivered[/b][/td][td=1,]ANGUS[/td][td=1,]October 20[/td][td=1,]1.5L Clos du Bois Chardonnay[/td][td=1,]***[/td][td=1,]tyrolean_skier[/td][td=1,]October 21[/td][td=1,]Cabernet Sauvignon or a Merlot[/td][td=1,][/td][td=1,]RustyK[/td][td=1,]October 23[/td][td=1,]Guns 'N Rosé Côtes de Provence[/td][td=1,][/td][td=1,]Southside_Bobby[/td][td=1,]October 24[/td][td=1,]Hudson Valley Cabernet[/td][td=1,][/td][td=1,]skiadikt[/td][td=1,]October 25[/td][td=1,]lucchetti lacrima di morro d'alba[/td][td=1,][/td][td=1,]Guy in Shorts[/td][td=1,]October 26[/td][td=1,]A local Vermont vintage[/td][td=1,][/td][td=1,]Bubba[/td][td=1,]October 26[/td][td=1,]red blend like Dreaming Tree Crush[/td][td=1,]***[/td][td=1,]MrsG[/td][td=1,]October 27[/td][td=1,]chardonnay[/td][td=1,]***[/td][td=1,]kram[/td][td=1,]October 30[/td][td=1,]7 deadly zins[/td][td=1,][/td][td=1,]RedRider[/td][td=1,]November 4[/td][td=1,]Something from Long Island[/td][td=1,]***[/td][td=1,]First Chair[/td][td=1,]November 7[/td][td=1,]Freakshow wine[/td][td=1,][/td][td=1,]Doria[/td][td=1,]November 10[/td][td=1,]La Creme Chardonnay[/td][td=1,][/td][td=1,]rogman[/td][td=1,]November 12[/td][td=1,]Benziger Cab[/td][td=1,][/td][td=1,]Finn[/td][td=1,]November 13[/td][td=1,]white wine[/td][td=1,][/td][td=1,]Snowjob[/td][td=1,]November 17[/td][td=1,]Guigal Cotes Du Rhone[/td][td=1,][/td]
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
ANGUS
Slalom Racer

Re: 2017 Opening Day Wine Contest

Post by ANGUS »

I'll be the first to be wrong. October 20th pass holder day. 1.5L Clos du Bois Chardonnay. Bubba PM me for your drop location. I'll be back in town on the 17th and can drop it off. I hope opening day is sooner.
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

I will be the optimist and choose October 14. My entry will be a Cabernet Sauvignon.
RustyK
Whipping Post

Post by RustyK »

Going to pick the date of.... October 23rd.

Same day as the Guns N Roses concert in Hartford!

My Wine:

Guns 'N Rosé

Côtes de Provence

Average Rating

GNR.JPG
GNR.JPG (19.51 KiB) Viewed 1776 times
Where is Happy Hour ?
Doria
Blue Chatterbox

Post by Doria »

October 19th...La Creme Chardonnay.
Snowjob
Poster Child Poster

Post by Snowjob »

Bubba, I'm a little confused.

The winner will be the person or persons who pick the date closest to the actual opening date without opening day having passed them by. (Example: Opening day is 11/1. There is an entry of 10/31 and another of 11/2. The winner is the person who guessed 11/2.)

In your example 11/2 has "passed by" the opening day of 11/1. So, why does 11/2 win?
Last edited by Snowjob on Aug 27th, '17, 22:30, edited 1 time in total.
Snowjob
Poster Child Poster

Post by Snowjob »

Friday, November 17th.

Most recent vintage of Guigal Cotes Du Rhone, which I'm pretty sure is 2013.

The 2012 received incredible reviews. If you'd like an introduction to the wine of the Rhone look for this, and try it with some food like roast chicken, grilled vegetables or meat.
a9a1c1
Beginner On Rentals

Post by a9a1c1 »

I think Opening day will be October 13th a friday! Hope it does open by then wanna get on and ski early this year, not just on thanksgiving weekend.
Guy in Shorts
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by Guy in Shorts »

Oct 26
Wine - a local Vermont vintage.
If my words did glow with the gold of sunshine.
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

a9a1c1 wrote:I think Opening day will be October 13th a friday! Hope it does open by then wanna get on and ski early this year, not just on thanksgiving weekend.
If you are entering the contest, you must list the type of wine you will contribute (over $12).
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

tyrolean_skier wrote:
a9a1c1 wrote:I think Opening day will be October 13th a friday! Hope it does open by then wanna get on and ski early this year, not just on thanksgiving weekend.
If you are entering the contest, you must list the type of wine you will contribute (over $12).
Which type of Cabernet Sauvignon are you bringing?
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

Mister Moose wrote:
tyrolean_skier wrote:
Which type of Cabernet Sauvignon are you bringing?
Whatever type I can find in the liquor store that falls into > $12 category. I have not purchased yet so cannot tell you the brand.
Southside_Bobby
Slalom Racer

Post by Southside_Bobby »

October 17th, mid day opening.

I can't ski that day, so it's a good bet it will open.

Hudson Valley Cabernet
2014 - "A South Ridge trail is Pipe Dream. A South Ridge lift shouldn't be."
2019 - "A South Ridge trail is Pipe Dream. A South Ridge lift (operating midweek) shouldn't be."
2023 - Killington announces that the South Ridge lift will run five days a week.
2024 - Killington lied.
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

unfortunately someone already "stole" my pick (my bday) so i'll go w/ the day before - oct 25. got a couple bottles of lucchetti lacrima di morro d'alba lying around so maybe i'll bring that.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
Southside_Bobby
Slalom Racer

Post by Southside_Bobby »

Snowjob wrote:Bubba, I'm a little confused.

The winner will be the person or persons who pick the date closest to the actual opening date without opening day having passed them by. (Example: Opening day is 11/1. There is an entry of 10/31 and another of 11/2. The winner is the person who guessed 11/2.)

In your example 11/2 has "passed by" the opening day of 11/1. So, why does 11/2 win?
Snowjob, the "passed by" means that you can't win if opening day is AFTER your guessed date. So in the example the opening of 11/1 happens after the guess of 10/31, but before the guess of 11/2.
2014 - "A South Ridge trail is Pipe Dream. A South Ridge lift shouldn't be."
2019 - "A South Ridge trail is Pipe Dream. A South Ridge lift (operating midweek) shouldn't be."
2023 - Killington announces that the South Ridge lift will run five days a week.
2024 - Killington lied.