Fat Bike

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

GnarDawg
Green Skidder

Fat Bike

Post by GnarDawg »

Anyone own/ride a fat bike? I'm was thinking about looking into getting one but don't know much about them except the look awesome.
Woodsrider
Slalom Racer

Re: Fat Bike

Post by Woodsrider »

They are fun. Good ones are expensive. Cheaper ones are really heavy. They have a significant gyroscopic effect in the steering that take some getting used to. But overall, they are just awesome. I haven't ridden them in the snow yet. But I want to. Most of my riding buddies have a fat bike in the stable for snow and/or mud. They ride all year long and stud the tires for the winter. The tires are so loud when they ride behind me it sounds like I'm being chased by a monster truck.

Tony down at Alpine Bike Works sell them. Rents them too. He's a good guy. He will take good care of you.
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

what's your main reason for wanting one? will it be your only bike? one of many bikes? 650b+ is also an option...some are capable of interchanging 29r wheels and tires....wanted to demo one last fall will be up at NEK soon might try again we'll see...not much chance I'd do the wheel swap thing but it does give you another option when you "retire" it for the next ride...
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

sometimes facebook is a little too "uncanny" but...

medium genius 720 plus
$2,299
Stowe, VT
Used demo bike. Stock except for X Fusion dropper.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... ater&ifg=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
GnarDawg
Green Skidder

Post by GnarDawg »

Mainly to do something other the run in the winter when I can't get up north on a weekend. I live near one of the best mountain biking areas in New England but I only run there and have never biked. Might be a fun way to change things up in the snow.

I have a Felt F75 I ride occasionally on the road but not that much. I thought I'd like to get into triathlon but I never really loved biking on the road.
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

GnarDawg wrote:Mainly to do something other the run in the winter when I can't get up north on a weekend. I live near one of the best mountain biking areas in New England but I only run there and have never biked. Might be a fun way to change things up in the snow.

I have a Felt F75 I ride occasionally on the road but not that much. I thought I'd like to get into triathlon but I never really loved biking on the road.
so you want a fatbike to ride in the snow? presumably on trails that are packed and/or ridden by others? s/b able to rent a bike from whoever is maintaining those trails/local bike shop...I think you'd want to try that out before going full in on it...
mach es sehr schnell

GnarDawg
Green Skidder

Post by GnarDawg »

where could I rent one? I'd be riding in Lynn Woods in Lynn, MA
Woodsrider
Slalom Racer

Post by Woodsrider »

As long as the snow is not too deep I ride all winter on my trail bike. It's best when the snow is crusty. You'd be surprised how good the traction is. A fat bike is that much better. I sink when it's soft and it's like pedaling in sand. Just sucks your energy. Fat bikes just float on top. That said, they are not as great everywhere else. I don't even like tires wider than 2.6. Not precise enough for me.

Rent one from Tony this winter and ride it on the golf course to see if you like it. I can't imagine you won't. the only reason I don't have one is because I'd rather be skiing and the trails by me in the winter are always packed down enough to ride my trail bike.