Irma

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Re: Irma

Post by Stormchaser »

Trending towards a direct hit to the island my folks live on. City just announced mandatory evac. Not sure how far they will get with traffic. The bridge in/out is always jammed, wonder if they'll make it 4 lanes out, no inbound traffic...
The City of Marco Island has issued a mandatory evacuation order effective immediately.

Due to the recent westward changes in Hurricane Irma’s forecasted track, Marco Island and all of Southwest Florida is in harm’s way. Major impact including destructive winds, life-threatening storm surge, flooding r*ins and possible tornadoes are predicted to occur Saturday and Sunday.

“The city issued a mandatory evacuation given the (storm’s) increasing westward track and associated increased impact,” said Dave Baer, Marco Island Police Department (MIPD) captain. “The city thought it was was in the best interests of its residents to do so.”

The city issued a voluntary evacuation on Tuesday, so many residents were already gone by Friday morning, Baer said; that’s helped keep the Jolley Bridge, one of only two ways off the island, from getting congested.

As for the people who are still in town, they should evacuate to a shelter as soon as possible.

“It’s unfortunate if people wait for mandatory evacuations because they put themselves in additional jeopardy,” Baer said. “It might be too late to book a flight to Georgia, but it’s not too late to go to a shelter.”
ImageImageImageImage
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

Stormchaser wrote:Trending towards a direct hit to the island my folks live on. City just announced mandatory evac. Not sure how far they will get with traffic. The bridge in/out is always jammed, wonder if they'll make it 4 lanes out, no inbound traffic...
They have a good 24 hours. That should get them well inland. Just a mile inland and 20 feet higher ground makes a huge difference. 15 miles inland in a well built commercial building is a way better risk than coastal 2nd floor taking a direct hit. It's a long way to anywhere with few roads though, especially in dense traffic. I'd hate to hear anyone on that island is going to ride it out if the current track holds.
rogman
Postinator

Post by rogman »

Mister Moose wrote:
Stormchaser wrote:Trending towards a direct hit to the island my folks live on. City just announced mandatory evac. Not sure how far they will get with traffic. The bridge in/out is always jammed, wonder if they'll make it 4 lanes out, no inbound traffic...
They have a good 24 hours. That should get them well inland. Just a mile inland and 20 feet higher ground makes a huge difference. 15 miles inland in a well built commercial building is a way better risk than coastal 2nd floor taking a direct hit. It's a long way to anywhere with few roads though, especially in dense traffic. I'd hate to hear anyone on that island is going to ride it out if the current track holds.
Mr Moose has given good advice: your parents should evacuate off of Marco, its elevation is too low. While Irma is now "only" a Cat 4 now, it is an extremely dangerous storm, the wind alone will cause catastrophic damage. NOAA's description here: http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/aboutsshws.php

Low lying coastal areas should be equally (or perhaps more) concerned with storm surge, which will bring a wall of water. I would encourage them to seek emergency shelter off island in a well constructed building at higher elevation.
ME2VTSkier
Powderhound
Location: Aroostook County ME, Plymouth VT, Block Island RI, Clarksville OH, Ocala FL

Post by ME2VTSkier »

They live on Marco? Cousins in Fort Meyers have a time-share down there. Really nice, but really exposed. Yeah, it's time for them to head inland. Push them to go.

Family in Fort Meyers shuttered the house up Wednesday, and will be required to stay at work(hospital) Saturday 7am until they are released.
Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Post by Stormchaser »

Storm surge is my fear at this point. The yard is 10-12' above sea level. Garage floor is 12'. House is 14'. The house is 300 yards from the beach near the southern end of the island.

They own property inland in Naples, 15-20 miles inland. They are heading there before the storm hits, but waiting till tomorrow early am to leave. Traffic is backed up at the bridge for miles, and heavy/slow/jammed traffic all the way to their condo. No gas means they cant afford to sit in traffic all night, and they are hoping it will be better at 4-5 am.
ImageImageImageImage
freeski
Post Office

Post by freeski »

Good friends of the family have an older daughter who works at Disney. She's going to work tomorrow and then be locked down in Disney's bunker until Tuesday. Didn't know Disney had a bunker.
I Belong A Long Way From Here.
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

Disney has a whole complex underground, it's way more than a bunker.

Here's the wind forecast for Marcos Island on Sunday.
Irma at Marcos.jpg
Irma at Marcos.jpg (121.9 KiB) Viewed 888 times
You don't often see numbers like this. Plus a violent direction shift as the eye passes. Even if this reflects a little over-forecasting it's still scary.
freeski
Post Office

Post by freeski »

Yep, I know all of the people, supplies go in and trash goes out underground, but is that all water tight?

Stormchaser hope your parents are well on their way to safety.
freeski
Post Office

Post by freeski »

“I am in disbelief right now...This is Long Island, Bahamas and the ocean water is missing!!!” she wrote on Friday."

Damn you Manbearpig :!:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/09/09/hu ... eline.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
icedtea
Guru Poster

Post by icedtea »

Keeping my fingers crossed have friends and property in Tampa.
"To have the truth in your possession you can be found guilty, sentenced to death."
Peter Tosh
Big Bob
Postinator

Post by Big Bob »

Marco Islamd photos posted on Facebook this morning

https://www.facebook.com/SevereWeather2 ... =3&theater" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2 hours and 10-minute drive to K
2023/2024 Ski Days: 33 days for the season
Killington: 12/14, 1/4, 1/9, 1/11, 1/17, 1/23, 1/31, 2/5, 2/20, 2/26, 3/4, 3/20, 3/25, 4/2, 4/5
Loon: 11/29, 12/8, 12/21, 1/8, 1/19, 1/22,1/30, 2/7, 2/15, 3/1, 3/8, 3/22, 4/14
Sunday River: 3/12
Sugarloaf: 3/13, 3/14
Cannon:1/15, 2/22
Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Post by Stormchaser »

Last heard from my folks at 5 pm last night. I heard cell towers are lying on the ground in their area. They evacd 12 miles off the island, so I expect they are ok. Thanks for all the well wishes.
ImageImageImageImage
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

Stormchaser wrote:Last heard from my folks at 5 pm last night. I heard cell towers are lying on the ground in their area. They evacd 12 miles off the island, so I expect they are ok. Thanks for all the well wishes.
:like :like
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Post by Stormchaser »

madhatter wrote:
Stormchaser wrote:Last heard from my folks at 5 pm last night. I heard cell towers are lying on the ground in their area. They evacd 12 miles off the island, so I expect they are ok. Thanks for all the well wishes.

Just got a text. They are fine. PD won't let anyone on the island until damage assessment is complete. Vids on facebook don't look too bad. Fish swimming in the streets...
ImageImageImageImage
MrsG
Whipping Post

Post by MrsG »

Glad your parents are safe .... and that the damage is minimal!
Stormchaser wrote:
madhatter wrote:

Just got a text. They are fine. PD won't let anyone on the island until damage assessment is complete. Vids on facebook don't look too bad. Fish swimming in the streets...