Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

icedtea
Guru Poster

Re: Irma

Post by icedtea »

Stormchaser wrote:
madhatter wrote:
Stormchaser wrote:Last heard from my folks at 5 pm last night. I heard cell towers are lying on the ground in their area. They evacd 12 miles off the island, so I expect they are ok. Thanks for all the well wishes.
:like :like

Just got a text. They are fine. PD won't let anyone on the island until damage assessment is complete. Vids on facebook don't look too bad. Fish swimming in the streets...
That's great news. Hopefully Jose stays away!
"To have the truth in your possession you can be found guilty, sentenced to death."
Peter Tosh
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

:like
Stormchaser wrote:
madhatter wrote:
Stormchaser wrote:Last heard from my folks at 5 pm last night. I heard cell towers are lying on the ground in their area. They evacd 12 miles off the island, so I expect they are ok. Thanks for all the well wishes.

Just got a text. They are fine. PD won't let anyone on the island until damage assessment is complete. Vids on facebook don't look too bad. Fish swimming in the streets...
:like Great news.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Dickc
Postaholic

Post by Dickc »

Stormchaser wrote:
madhatter wrote:

Hope their property is in good shape. Glad they are OK!
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
rogman
Postinator

Post by rogman »

Glad stormy's parents are ok.

Found this a few days ago, thought it was pretty cool. NHC's evolving five day forecast for Irma.
ME2VTSkier
Powderhound
Location: Aroostook County ME, Plymouth VT, Block Island RI, Clarksville OH, Ocala FL

Post by ME2VTSkier »

Good to hear!

:like
ME2VTSkier
Powderhound
Location: Aroostook County ME, Plymouth VT, Block Island RI, Clarksville OH, Ocala FL

Post by ME2VTSkier »

rogman wrote:Glad stormy's parents are ok.

Found this a few days ago, thought it was pretty cool. NHC's evolving five day forecast for Irma.
They got one for Jose?
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

Stormchaser wrote:
madhatter wrote:

Glad they are OK. Hopefully the damage is not too bad.
rogman
Postinator

Post by rogman »

Another time lapse view of Irma:
brownman
Postinator

Post by brownman »

Many weren't so lucky and some will never return :-o
Be thankful everyday .. :like

Harvey and Irma loss calculations are a long way from completion.
https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2017 ... ed-losses/

:Toast
Forever .. Goat Path
icedtea
Guru Poster

Post by icedtea »

My parents house was destroyed in Sandy. After all the red tape etc. they finally begun raising it. My mom gets panic attacks just talking about storms now.
"To have the truth in your possession you can be found guilty, sentenced to death."
Peter Tosh
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

Glad too hear it Stormy. Let us know what their man on the street description is of how Marco Is fared.
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

Don't forget the victims of Harvey. Hand in Hand is an event to raise relief funds that's on TV tonight (right now, in fact) so give as you can.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Post by Stormchaser »

icedtea wrote:My parents house was destroyed in Sandy. After all the red tape etc. they finally begun raising it. My mom gets panic attacks just talking about storms now.
As someone who lost a home first hand, I understand the lasting effect of the trauma it can cause. Stronger for going through it, and better off with the new home I designed myself. Glass half full.
ImageImageImageImage
Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Post by Stormchaser »

Mister Moose wrote:Glad too hear it Stormy. Let us know what their man on the street description is of how Marco Is fared.
Just talked to my folks. They lost most of the roof shingles, and the screen/cage around the inground pool. All the trees/bushes in the yard are stripped of their leaves and twisted like pretzels. Concrete utility poles snapped in half. Storm surge left flooded areas that are still underwater; the estate section of the island took it the worst (5-25 million dollar homes). 90% of the island is still without power, but my folks are one of the 10% who got power back last night. Still no water service. The fishing village of Goodland is only partially recognizable. Lots of boat damage in the marina, a few buildings and houses in that area lost their roofs. Ketch's, a restaurant on the island, has no power, but because of gas service they opened to give away free food to residents. With no power, the food in the fridges and freezers would go bad anyway. Nice gesture. Lots of buildings/businesses with windows blown out.
ImageImageImageImage