Will the new South Ridge Lift run every day? You betcha!

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

Southside_Bobby
Slalom Racer

Will the new South Ridge Lift run every day? You betcha!

Post by Southside_Bobby »

Now that a new lift will be a reality, will it run every day?

While advocating for the restoration of this important link in K's lift and terrain layout, I was often emphatically told that, should a new lift be built, it would only run on weekends. The reason given for this was that the old one only ran on weekends. An argument I always found fairly weak.

The old summit lodge was also open only on weekends.

There is no doubt in my mind that the new lift will not only run on weekends. I am also willing to put my beer money where my mouth is, and will wager a pack of "Sip of Sunshine" against anyone still absolutely sure this lift will only run two days a week.

My belief is also admittedly self serving, as I am a weekday pass holder.
Attachments
South Ridge 1.jpg
South Ridge 1.jpg (101.28 KiB) Viewed 1072 times
2014 - "A South Ridge trail is Pipe Dream. A South Ridge lift shouldn't be."
2019 - "A South Ridge trail is Pipe Dream. A South Ridge lift (operating midweek) shouldn't be."
2023 - Killington announces that the South Ridge lift will run five days a week.
2024 - Killington lied.
da Pimp
Double Diamond Skidder

Re: Will the new South Ridge Lift run every day? You betcha!

Post by da Pimp »

That view reminds me how much less the ride time should be, since the old crooked uphill line will be no more. Going straight up the old return line should make that ride a bit more bearable especially on bitter cold or windy days, and make lapping that area more worthwhile. Still hoping to see another cut trail and some more thinning of woods when this does become a reality. Will it become known as the South Ridge Pod (SRP)?
hillbangin
Wanted Poster

Post by hillbangin »

da Pimp wrote:That view reminds me how much less the ride time should be, since the old crooked uphill line will be no more. Going straight up the old return line should make that ride a bit more bearable especially on bitter cold or windy days, and make lapping that area more worthwhile. Still hoping to see another cut trail and some more thinning of woods when this does become a reality. Will it become known as the South Ridge Pod (SRP)?

It will be tracked out like it used to be - down to rock by 11 after a dump.

I'm kind of bummed they are replacing it.....It's been great over there for late day dump runs.
GSKI
Powderhound

Post by GSKI »

Jug to Breakaway is just enough of a trail to be a lot of fun on a power day. Kind of a "hidden" stash.
GSKI
Powderhound

Post by GSKI »

Breakaway is in the middle of the picture. Nice pic a rare view.
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

da Pimp wrote:That view reminds me how much less the ride time should be, since the old crooked uphill line will be no more. Going straight up the old return line should make that ride a bit more bearable especially on bitter cold or windy days, and make lapping that area more worthwhile.
Interesting question.

The old SRT is listed as 4,381 feet long, and I took that as the 2 legged length. Also I estimated the base terminal angle to be 20 degrees.

That works out to being 260 feet shorter for the straight run, about a 6% shorter ride.
da Pimp
Double Diamond Skidder

Post by da Pimp »

Just in looking at the photo - imagine starting at the same time, and getting up to and making the two turns on the old uphill line versus going straight up the return line. You would be almost be up to the south ridge flats while still making the chair turns on the uphill line. Then you had to traverse a lot of flat terrain just to catch up to the return line. And I am pretty sure that the uphill route maintained a slight angle all the way to the top, unlike the return line which was a straight shot down the hill. So not only did the first uphill part take you off at an angle for a good amount of footage, it also made you track to the top with a slight angle, resulting in a slightly longer distance. I estimate the return line route would be 2.5-3 minutes less. We'll see how they set up the new line. Another year to go.
brownman
Postinator

Post by brownman »

What .. an operating South Ridge lift and a Weekday Pass .. :shock:

:seeya
Forever .. Goat Path
Big Bob
Postinator

Post by Big Bob »

Of coarse it will run midweek, Christmas midweek and Feb. vacation midweek! Enjoy the fresh mulch
2 hours and 10-minute drive to K
2023/2024 Ski Days: 30 days for the season
Killington: 12/14, 1/4, 1/9, 1/11, 1/17, 1/23, 1/31, 2/5, 2/20, 2/26, 3/4, 3/20, 3/25
Loon: 11/29, 12/8, 12/21, 1/8, 1/19, 1/22,1/30, 2/7, 2/15, 3/1, 3/8, 3/22
Sunday River: 3/12
Sugarloaf: 3/13, 3/14
Cannon:1/15, 2/22
Dr. NO
Signature Poster

Post by Dr. NO »

Nice part of the return line is that it is more protected due to heavy tall trees and the slope near the top. No more howling winds while traveling along upper Pipe Dream.
MUST STOP POSTING ! MUST STOP POSTING !

Shut up and Ski!

Why's Everybody Always Pickin on Me?
Spyderman
Bumper

Post by Spyderman »

Bingo Dr. No. I told Alan Wilson & Rich MCGuirie 15 years ago to use the return line up to top of Southriidge to protect skiers riding the lift from the severe wind by being lower and protected by the dense evergreen trees.
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

Spyderman wrote:Bingo Dr. No. I told Alan Wilson & Rich MCGuirie 15 years ago to use the return line up to top of Southriidge to protect skiers riding the lift from the severe wind by being lower and protected by the dense evergreen trees.
That would be Rich McGarry.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe