Salomon QST 92 skis

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

f.a.s.t.
Wanted Poster

Salomon QST 92 skis

Post by f.a.s.t. »

Does anyone have, or skied, the Salomon QST 92? I'm looking to add a 3rd ski to my quiver, something good in soft snow, moguls and trees on those warm days, especially spring when things get nice and soft. I looked at them today at Putnam Ski Shop in Hampton, NH. They are this years version-same as last year for $535 including a Tyrolia RX12 (steel housing) binding, 177 cm ski. Seemed like a pretty good price. The employee said this is his everyday ski, he's 240 lbs too, which is a few pounds more than me. He said it won't wash out on me?

The other two in my quiver are 187 Blizzard Brahmas for front side groomers, hardpack and 184 K2 Amp Rictor 90txi's with AT bindings for my all around-everyday ski.

Any other suggestions? I'm also looking at the Kastle FX94. I'm looking for something without metal in them?
!!!!!!!!!! MAKE AMERICA LOVE AGAIN !!!!!!!!!!
freeski
Post Office

Re: Salomon QST 92 skis

Post by freeski »

Any Atomic Nomad with Titanium. Cheap, old models.
I Belong A Long Way From Here.
throbster
Postaholic

Post by throbster »

I demo'd them along with a bunch of other miid fats and thought they were top one or two. Forgiving and quick turning. Not beefy but good for the quiver.
I get all the news I need from the weather report

- Simon and Garfunkel
Spyderman
Bumper

Post by Spyderman »

Did demo at Bear Mtn in mid March the Nordica Enforcer 93's that everyone raved about and then the Rossi Sin 7 (99 under foot). The Rossi tips fluttered too much. Nordica better. Then I took the Salomon QST 92's as a last resort. I was shocked!!!
In my opinion the Salomon was much better ride and ease of turning than the Nordica Enforcer. I would buy the QST 92. However I paused because I heard the new Head Kore 92 is highly rated and tested. Leaning toward the Heads now. I have Head Supershape I Rally and they are unbelievable carvers and even good in light show in stitch of only being 76 under foot.

Hope this helps. But for the price you got on QST's go for it!
Big Bob
Postinator

Post by Big Bob »

f.a.s.t. wrote:Does anyone have, or skied, the Salomon QST 92? I'm looking to add a 3rd ski to my quiver, something good in soft snow, moguls and trees on those warm days, especially spring when things get nice and soft. I looked at them today at Putnam Ski Shop in Hampton, NH. They are this years version-same as last year for $535 including a Tyrolia RX12 (steel housing) binding, 177 cm ski. Seemed like a pretty good price. The employee said this is his everyday ski, he's 240 lbs too, which is a few pounds more than me. He said it won't wash out on me?

The other two in my quiver are 187 Blizzard Brahmas for front side groomers, hardpack and 184 K2 Amp Rictor 90txi's with AT bindings for my all around-everyday ski.

Any other suggestions? I'm also looking at the Kastle FX94. I'm looking for something without metal in them?
Putnam's is on Rt 1 in Portsmouth, not Hampton
2 hours and 10-minute drive to K
2023/2024 Ski Days: 30 days for the season
Killington: 12/14, 1/4, 1/9, 1/11, 1/17, 1/23, 1/31, 2/5, 2/20, 2/26, 3/4, 3/20, 3/25
Loon: 11/29, 12/8, 12/21, 1/8, 1/19, 1/22,1/30, 2/7, 2/15, 3/1, 3/8, 3/22
Sunday River: 3/12
Sugarloaf: 3/13, 3/14
Cannon:1/15, 2/22
DES
Slalom Racer

Post by DES »

I bought the Brahmas and Enforcer 93 last season, haven't tried the Salomon, but same here, ride the bulls on firm days (or when I know I'll be skiing with my legs together ("old school", when it's just Superstar trail remaining)), but the Enforcers truthfully make everything easy...there is no challenging terrain, they just eat up everything. I have a feeling for that price, you'll be happy buying the Salomon's!
hillbangin
Wanted Poster

Post by hillbangin »

I found a pair of Nordica NRGY 100s last year really cheap. I actually like them a little more than the Enforcer. Bought them short - OK for bumps unless the snowboards have troughed everything out - Awesome in the tight woods.
RustyK
Whipping Post

Post by RustyK »

I have the QST 92's.

Great all around ski. Never used my powder boards this year because of them.

No complaints. Go for it.
Where is Happy Hour ?
f.a.s.t.
Wanted Poster

Post by f.a.s.t. »

Thanks for all the advice. I got em yesterday, Salomon QST 92 with the Salomon Warden MNC 13 binding. Let it snow!
RustyK
Whipping Post

Post by RustyK »

QST.jpg
QST.jpg (201.67 KiB) Viewed 997 times
Where is Happy Hour ?
Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Post by Highway Star »

f.a.s.t. wrote:Does anyone have, or skied, the Salomon QST 92? I'm looking to add a 3rd ski to my quiver, something good in soft snow, moguls and trees on those warm days, especially spring when things get nice and soft. I looked at them today at Putnam Ski Shop in Hampton, NH. They are this years version-same as last year for $535 including a Tyrolia RX12 (steel housing) binding, 177 cm ski. Seemed like a pretty good price. The employee said this is his everyday ski, he's 240 lbs too, which is a few pounds more than me. He said it won't wash out on me?

I wouldn't take any ski advice from a 240lb guy skiing rockered 177cm skis.

Not to mention, RX12 bindings are garbage and a 10++ year old design. Who the hell puts tyrolias on salomons anyway?

The QST 92's are low intermediate to advanced level soft snow skis. It you like the 187 Brahma, the QST will be very unsatisfying. If you really want something short for bumps, I'd look for a pair of 180cm Blizzard Bushwackers. I've had 187cm Bonafides for years, and last year got a 187cm Bushwacker - it doesn't have a ton of top end, but is VERY precise with look turntables on it, stiff, light, poppy and nimble. I've come very close to buying a 187 Brahma several times.

As a side note, I also got a 193 Enforcer 100 last year, COMPLETELY overrated garbage ski. Mounted -2cm, STH2 16's. Skis short, soft, doesn't feel like a performance ski, and is a horrible all around Killington ski compared to the Bonafide. For literal HACKS with no skills. Only redeeming qualities are it's incredibly forgiving performance in wet/weird new snow 3-12" and it being plenty maneuverable in the woods. In the future I won't take them out unless there's new snow. I feel like the 187 Bonfides ski a bit short at times, but the enforcer skis even shorter than them.
Last edited by Highway Star on Sep 13th, '17, 13:49, edited 1 time in total.
"I'M YELLING BECAUSE YOU DID SOMETHING COOL!" - Humpty Dumpty

"Kzone should bill you for the bandwidth you waste writing novels to try and prove a point, but end up just looking like a deranged narcissistic fool." - Deadheadskier at madhatter

"The key is to not be lame, and know it, and not give a rat's @$$ what anybody thinks......that's real cool." - Highway Star http://goo.gl/xJxo34" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"I am one of the coolest people on the internet..." - Highway Star

"I have a tiny penis...." - C-Rex

XtremeJibber2001 - THE MAIN STREAM MEDIA HAS YOU COMPLETELY HYPNOTIZED. PLEASE WAKE UP AND LEARN HOW TO FILTER REALITY FROM BS NARRATIVES.

"Your life is only interesting when you capture the best, fakest, most curated split second version." - Team Robot regarding Instagram posters
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

Highway Star wrote:

Not to mention, RX12 bindings are garbage and a 10++ year old design. Who the hell puts tyrolias on salomons anyway?

The QST 92's are low intermediate to advanced level soft snow skis. It you like the 187 Brahma, the QST will be very unsatisfying. If you really want something short for bumps, I'd look for a pair of 180cm Blizzard Bushwackers. I've had 187cm Bonafides for years, and last year got a 187cm Bushwacker - it doesn't have a ton of top end, but is VERY precise with look turntables on it, stiff, light, poppy and nimble.

As a side note, I also got a 193 Enforcer 100 last year, COMPLETELY overrated garbage ski. Mounted -2cm, STH2 16's. Skis short, soft and a horrible all around Killington ski compared to the Bonafide. For literal HACKS with no skills. Only redeeming qualities were it's incredibly forgiving performance in wet/weird new snow 3-6" and it being plenty maneuverable in the woods. I feel like the 187 Bonfides ski a bit short at times, but the enforcer skis even shorter than them.

you forgot to mention he'll need to crank the DIN up as far as it goes and put 6-8 inch riser plates under those bindings in order to get superhero performance out of em...

another option would be to get another pair of similar length skis and rivet them together in order to make a 300ish cm ski that can handle all the highwaystar hero terrain with ease...( you'll need a good foot of overlap when riveting them in order to do 500 ft cliff drops etc) if you do that you can probably cut those risers down to 5 inches or so but it'd be best to integrate the binding, riser and boot into a a single unit and bolt it directly to the newly riveted skis...you won;t be able to boot up at the car anymore as your skis and boots are now one so you'll need to have a place near the lift to stash yer street shoes once ya get them skis on....you also cannot ride the gondola as they interfere w the haul rope when placed in the ski holders due to their length...on the plus side no one can get w/in 6 ft of you in the liftline so you are virtually guaranteed to not only have the chair to yourself but also likely to have the one in front and back of you go up empty as well enhancing your exclusive access to the secret terrain only skiers of the highest caliber can ever hope to ski...if you go w a twin tip design you'll be able to shoot 400 ft rooster tails ensuring that none of the gapers have any hopes of following you to the secret promised land...( you can do this by putting one ski fwd and one backwards before riveting)

it's also a good idea to have literally the most recognizable outfit on the hill but you'll have to come up w yer own ideas as HS has "giant penis suit" trademarked already... you also may not paint them pink nor have ronald mcdonald hair as those have been spoken for already as well...

in any case sorry you bought the worst possible ski on the planet and are doomed to years of mediocre skiing experiences as a result...next time be sure to check in here sooner than later...
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
f.a.s.t.
Wanted Poster

Post by f.a.s.t. »

As I wrote, "something good in soft snow, moguls and trees on those warm days, especially spring when things get nice and soft." Looks like I got what I was looking for. I will say, those Tyrolia bindings he quoted were not on display when I first looked at the skis. He showed them to me yesterday and they did look like crap. Salomon binding the way to go for this ski.
throbster
Postaholic

Post by throbster »

Highway Star wrote:

The QST 92's are low intermediate to advanced level soft snow skis. It you like the 187 Brahma, the QST will be very unsatisfying. If you really want something short for bumps, I'd look for a pair of 180cm Blizzard Bushwackers. I've had 187cm Bonafides for years, and last year got a 187cm Bushwacker - it doesn't have a ton of top end, but is VERY precise with look turntables on it, stiff, light, poppy and nimble. I've come very close to buying a 187 Brahma several times.

As a side note, I also got a 193 Enforcer 100 last year, COMPLETELY overrated garbage ski. Mounted -2cm, STH2 16's. Skis short, soft, doesn't feel like a performance ski, and is a horrible all around Killington ski compared to the Bonafide. For literal HACKS with no skills. Only redeeming qualities are it's incredibly forgiving performance in wet/weird new snow 3-12" and it being plenty maneuverable in the woods. In the future I won't take them out unless there's new snow. I feel like the 187 Bonfides ski a bit short at times, but the enforcer skis even shorter than them.
T-shirt for you:
Attachments
DICKHEAD-T-skjorter.png
DICKHEAD-T-skjorter.png (53.81 KiB) Viewed 851 times
I get all the news I need from the weather report

- Simon and Garfunkel
Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Post by Highway Star »

f.a.s.t. wrote:As I wrote, "something good in soft snow, moguls and trees on those warm days, especially spring when things get nice and soft." Looks like I got what I was looking for. I will say, those Tyrolia bindings he quoted were not on display when I first looked at the skis. He showed them to me yesterday and they did look like crap. Salomon binding the way to go for this ski.
Well, while I sincerely hope you like the skis, I suspect you'll be under gunned on the 177 length, if you normally and comfortably ski a 187 Brahma all around, you may have been better off with the QST 92 in the 185 length. The 2016 187 Brahma and prior (pre carbon) clocks in at a shade over 9 lbs, while the QST 92 177 is 7.4 lbs and the 185 is 7.9 lb. If I recall correctly, my 187 Bushwhackers are about 8.5 lb, while my 187 Bonafides are 10 lb, and all my big fast skis are in the 10 to 12 lb range. If the 187 Brahma's are big and tanky for you, then the 177 QST's will probably be just fine.
"I'M YELLING BECAUSE YOU DID SOMETHING COOL!" - Humpty Dumpty

"Kzone should bill you for the bandwidth you waste writing novels to try and prove a point, but end up just looking like a deranged narcissistic fool." - Deadheadskier at madhatter

"The key is to not be lame, and know it, and not give a rat's @$$ what anybody thinks......that's real cool." - Highway Star http://goo.gl/xJxo34" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"I am one of the coolest people on the internet..." - Highway Star

"I have a tiny penis...." - C-Rex

XtremeJibber2001 - THE MAIN STREAM MEDIA HAS YOU COMPLETELY HYPNOTIZED. PLEASE WAKE UP AND LEARN HOW TO FILTER REALITY FROM BS NARRATIVES.

"Your life is only interesting when you capture the best, fakest, most curated split second version." - Team Robot regarding Instagram posters