World Cup Six Weeks from This Saturday

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

Spyderman
Bumper

World Cup Six Weeks from This Saturday

Post by Spyderman »

We can do it! Just need the the temps to drop and consistently stay cold at nights and cooler days.
Then it’s time for K’s arsenal to “ Blow Baby Blow!!!” on Superstar. While we all would like a mid - October Opening Day,
I for one will sacrifice skiing in North Ridge until later October in favor of devoting as much resources as needed on SS for the World Cup. I know last year K was able to blow snow in both areas simultaneously and should be able to this year as well, weather permitting. However if circumstances change and we need an all out assault on SS I would gladly accept a slightly later than normal season opener on the Rime to ensure we’re ready for the World Cup.
Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Re: World Cup Six Weeks from This Saturday

Post by Highway Star »

Spyderman wrote:We can do it! Just need the the temps to drop and consistently stay cold at nights and cooler days.
Then it’s time for K’s arsenal to “ Blow Baby Blow!!!” on Superstar. While we all would like a mid - October Opening Day,
I for one will sacrifice skiing in North Ridge until later October in favor of devoting as much resources as needed on SS for the World Cup. I know last year K was able to blow snow in both areas simultaneously and should be able to this year as well, weather permitting. However if circumstances change and we need an all out assault on SS I would gladly accept a slightly later than normal season opener on the Rime to ensure we’re ready for the World Cup.
"I'M YELLING BECAUSE YOU DID SOMETHING COOL!" - Humpty Dumpty

"Kzone should bill you for the bandwidth you waste writing novels to try and prove a point, but end up just looking like a deranged narcissistic fool." - Deadheadskier at madhatter

"The key is to not be lame, and know it, and not give a rat's @$$ what anybody thinks......that's real cool." - Highway Star http://goo.gl/xJxo34" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"I am one of the coolest people on the internet..." - Highway Star

"I have a tiny penis...." - C-Rex

XtremeJibber2001 - THE MAIN STREAM MEDIA HAS YOU COMPLETELY HYPNOTIZED. PLEASE WAKE UP AND LEARN HOW TO FILTER REALITY FROM BS NARRATIVES.

"Your life is only interesting when you capture the best, fakest, most curated split second version." - Team Robot regarding Instagram posters
Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Post by Highway Star »

If I miss out on a month of early season skiing because of the world cup, I won't be pleased. And I'll say: "I told you so."

"Kzone should bill you for the bandwidth you waste writing novels to try and prove a point, but end up just looking like a deranged narcissistic fool." - Deadheadskier at madhatter

"The key is to not be lame, and know it, and not give a rat's @$$ what anybody thinks......that's real cool." - Highway Star http://goo.gl/xJxo34" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

XtremeJibber2001 - THE MAIN STREAM MEDIA HAS YOU COMPLETELY HYPNOTIZED. PLEASE WAKE UP AND LEARN HOW TO FILTER REALITY FROM BS NARRATIVES.

"Your life is only interesting when you capture the best, fakest, most curated split second version." - Team Robot regarding Instagram posters
Spyderman
Bumper

Post by Spyderman »

There is absolutely no way we will miss out on a month of early season skiing. Last year we opened around 10/25. We’ll be open by 10/31 at the latest.
Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Post by Highway Star »

Spyderman wrote:There is absolutely no way we will miss out on a month of early season skiing. Last year we opened around 10/25. We’ll be open by 10/31 at the latest.
Really. I've said before that in a marginal weather year they would not be able to get both the North Ridge and Superstar (plus training on Skyelark) open by Thanksgiving. Guess which one gets the snowmaking focus and which one doesn't open? The possibility of them not being open to the public until the first weekend in December is very real.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=41890" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cold November: No problem, race happens, skiing for public likely on other trails off superstar chairs, plus K-1, NRT and Snowdon.

Average November: Race draws most snowmaking resouces for first half of November. Superstar might be open to public for first half of November. Snowmaking on K-1 / NRT starts once Superstar looks to be in good shape, public skiing only on NRT for Thanksgiving weekend (45 minute lift lines).

Warm, rainy November: Snowmaking focused entirely on Superstar, during small overnight windows of snowmaking, with several r*in events melting snow. No public skiing on Thanksgiving weekend.

So, by my estimates they have a 2/3rd's chance of having either NO public skiing, or skiing on the NRT only for Thanksgiving - both of those are pretty bad senarios.

This is not even taking into account the chances of an ice storm, major r*in storm, or 70F thaw the week of the event.

Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

Highway Star wrote:Really. I've said before that in a marginal weather year they would not be able to get both the North Ridge and Superstar (plus training on Skyelark) open by Thanksgiving. Guess which one gets the snowmaking focus and which one doesn't open? The possibility of them not being open to the public until the first weekend in December is very real.

Highway Star wrote:Cold November: No problem, race happens, skiing for public likely on other trails off superstar chairs, plus K-1, NRT and Snowdon.

Average November: Race draws most snowmaking resouces for first half of November. Superstar might be open to public for first half of November. Snowmaking on K-1 / NRT starts once Superstar looks to be in good shape, public skiing only on NRT for Thanksgiving weekend (45 minute lift lines).

Warm, rainy November: Snowmaking focused entirely on Superstar, during small overnight windows of snowmaking, with several r*in events melting snow. No public skiing on Thanksgiving weekend.

So, by my estimates they have a 2/3rd's chance of having either NO public skiing, or skiing on the NRT only for Thanksgiving - both of those are pretty bad senarios.

This is not even taking into account the chances of an ice storm, major r*in storm, or 70F thaw the week of the event.
There are 3 possible outcomes when you flip a coin on a table: It lands heads up, it lands tails up, or it lands on the rim. So according to your statistical method, each has a 1/3 chance of happening. The rest of us know otherwise.

Killington brought in 7 or 8 extra compressors and several portable fan guns last season for the World Cup. They blew 70-100 guns on Superstar concurrently with GN, North Ridge and Bunny. I don't remember a single day last November they blew on Superstar but not elsewhere to expand terrain.

I'd guess the chance of weather induced failure to prep for the World Cup by Thanksgiving (Like Fall 2016 was) is somewhere between 1-in-8 to 1-in-12 years. It's in the acceptable risk range. Even in that dismal Fall, they managed to keep North Ridge open most of the time and kept losing the lower elevations until after Christmas.

It's hard to imagine weather so fluky where you could blow a World Cup surface to the base of Superstar, but not North Ridge. We talk about being air limited early season. It's far more likely they are hydrant limited on Superstar for the air capacity they now have. There will always be excess capacity for North Ridge et al.
hillbangin
Wanted Poster

Post by hillbangin »

Highway Star wrote:If I miss out on a month of early season skiing because of the world cup, I won't be pleased. And I'll say: "I told you so."

Skiing in November on that manmade garbage beats a good day of work - butt - it's just getting us ready for the first real dump in the begining of December.

And BTW - how many days to you usually 'ski' in November?
Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Post by Highway Star »

Mister Moose wrote:
Highway Star wrote:Really. I've said before that in a marginal weather year they would not be able to get both the North Ridge and Superstar (plus training on Skyelark) open by Thanksgiving. Guess which one gets the snowmaking focus and which one doesn't open? The possibility of them not being open to the public until the first weekend in December is very real.

Highway Star wrote:Cold November: No problem, race happens, skiing for public likely on other trails off superstar chairs, plus K-1, NRT and Snowdon.

There are 3 possible outcomes when you flip a coin on a table: It lands heads up, it lands tails up, or it lands on the rim. So according to your statistical method, each has a 1/3 chance of happening. The rest of us know otherwise.

Killington brought in 7 or 8 extra compressors and several portable fan guns last season for the World Cup. They blew 70-100 guns on Superstar concurrently with GN, North Ridge and Bunny. I don't remember a single day last November they blew on Superstar but not elsewhere to expand terrain.

I'd guess the chance of weather induced failure to prep for the World Cup by Thanksgiving (Like Fall 2016 was) is somewhere between 1-in-8 to 1-in-12 years. It's in the acceptable risk range. Even in that dismal Fall, they managed to keep North Ridge open most of the time and kept losing the lower elevations until after Christmas.

It's hard to imagine weather so fluky where you could blow a World Cup surface to the base of Superstar, but not North Ridge. We talk about being air limited early season. It's far more likely they are hydrant limited on Superstar for the air capacity they now have. There will always be excess capacity for North Ridge et al.
I'm always amazed that you can type and still remember to breathe at the same time.

As always, your straw man argument sucks.

There's near zero chance Killington will fail to have the World Cup. It would take >40F at the top of Superstar for the entire month before to stop them. That isn't going to happen.

Fact is, a single K3000 snow gun is capable of using in excess of 500CFM of compressed air in marginal temps, which allows significant snowmaking. This means that a single large portable air compressor can run THREE SNOWGUNS in those conditions. Now, Killington has tons of compressor rentals and tons of installed capacity, but they could EASILY encounter temperatures that would require them to focus ALL their compressor capacity on Superstar, which most certainly can be done. If there are only marginal overnight temps available for snowmaking, you can be sure that is what will be done - and there's a solid 1 in 3 chance of that being the scenario on any given year.

yiddle on da fiddle
Powderhound

Post by yiddle on da fiddle »

Highway Star wrote:
Mister Moose wrote:

I'm always amazed that you can type and still remember to breathe at the same time.

There's near zero chance Killington will fail to have the World Cup. It would take >40F at the top of Superstar for the entire month before to stop them. That isn't going to happen.

Fact is, a single K3000 snow gun is capable of using in excess of 500CFM of compressed air in marginal temps, which allows significant snowmaking. This means that a single large portable air compressor can run THREE SNOWGUNS in those conditions. Now, Killington has tons of compressor rentals and tons of installed capacity, but they could EASILY encounter temperatures that would require them to focus ALL their compressor capacity on Superstar, which most certainly can be done. If there are only marginal overnight temps available for snowmaking, you can be sure that is what will be done - and there's a solid 1 in 3 chance of that being the scenario on any given year.
I'll take " Relentless Troll Asshats" for five hundred , Alex.....
BoozeTan
Guru Poster

Post by BoozeTan »

yiddle on da fiddle wrote:
Highway Star wrote:
Mister Moose wrote:

I'll take " Relentless Troll Asshats" for five hundred , Alex.....
Answer : This relentless Troll asshat is the most negative person on the Kzone and possible the entire internet.

Question : Who is Highway Star?
yiddle on da fiddle
Powderhound

Post by yiddle on da fiddle »

nuthin butt net.....
Attachments
stewieclapclapclap.jpg
stewieclapclapclap.jpg (13.98 KiB) Viewed 1098 times
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

skiing in nov is good, I can live w/o it but always partake if the opportunity arises...

world cup is great for K and the surrounding area...didn't go last year, we'll see this year...

still always hope both go off w/o a hitch...batting 1000 so far...
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

Highway Star wrote:
Mister Moose wrote:

So this year there is nearly a 0% chance of them not making the world cup happen. What's different then last year when u gave it a 50-50 chance of happening?
Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Post by Highway Star »

daytripper wrote:
Highway Star wrote:
Mister Moose wrote:

So this year there is nearly a 0% chance of them not making the world cup happen. What's different then last year when u gave it a 50-50 chance of happening?
If I recall correctly, I gave them 50/50 based on a specific long term forecast.

Also, this year they have proven that the event draws crowds and money to the area. It arguably brings in more money than offering skiing to the public in November. They have an even greater incentive to make it happen.

icedtea
Guru Poster

Post by icedtea »

Where is our annual SKIOFF sh*t post?
"To have the truth in your possession you can be found guilty, sentenced to death."
Peter Tosh