As baby boomers leave the ski slopes....

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

heiusa
Blue Chatterbox

Re: As baby boomers leave the ski slopes....

Post by heiusa »

I started skiing at age 5 in 1962, We skied at many different mountains, I was lucky that my father loved to ski.

We skied mostly in NJ, the Catskills and VT.

Holiday Mt, Davos, Mt Cathalia, Hunter, Bellayre, Plattekill, Great Gorge, Vernon Valley, Sterling Forest.

In VT. Mt Snow, Stratton, Bromley, Pico, Killington, Sugarbush, Mad River, Stowe.

We went almost every weekend! I was fortunate that we had a second home in the Catskills growing up and we lived only 1/2 hour from Great Gorge.

We would also take an annual trip either out west or to Europe.

I started on wooden skis, with lace up leather boots and bear trap bindings, oh how the equipment has changed.

My father started to ski at Pico in 1947.

I started my oldest daughter skiing when she was 3 at Pico. All three of my kids love skiing at Killington and Pico.

I now have a second home at the base of Pico, the tradition has passed from my father to me and now to my three kids.

I find that skiing is a great family sport, a great way to spend time together away from the electronics.
skixc2
Black Carver

Post by skixc2 »

heiusa wrote:I started skiing at age 5 in 1962, We skied at many different mountains, I was lucky that my father loved to ski.

We skied mostly in NJ, the Catskills and VT.

Holiday Mt, Davos, Mt Cathalia, Hunter, Bellayre, Plattekill, Great Gorge, Vernon Valley, Sterling Forest.

In VT. Mt Snow, Stratton, Bromley, Pico, Killington, Sugarbush, Mad River, Stowe.

We went almost every weekend! I was fortunate that we had a second home in the Catskills growing up and we lived only 1/2 hour from Great Gorge.

We would also take an annual trip either out west or to Europe.

I started on wooden skis, with lace up leather boots and bear trap bindings, oh how the equipment has changed.

My father started to ski at Pico in 1947.

I started my oldest daughter skiing when she was 3 at Pico. All three of my kids love skiing at Killington and Pico.

I now have a second home at the base of Pico, the tradition has passed from my father to me and now to my three kids.

I find that skiing is a great family sport, a great way to spend time together away from the electronics.
The above is awesomely amazing!

I started Nordic skiing at age 2, Alpine skiing at age 3 in 1994. My first Alpine skiing was at the now defunct Temple Mountain in Peterborough, NH. After that closed in 1999 my ski education moved to Pat's Peak and eventually to my home-town ski area of Crotched Mountain when it re-opened in 2003.
Raise 'Em Jay
Southside_Bobby
Slalom Racer

Post by Southside_Bobby »

The size of our "ski house" when I was growing up was about 150 sq. ft. Family of seven.

I was the youngest of five kids, and we started skiing when I was 5 in 1966. After a few years of staying in motels and eating ski lodge lunches (which my Dad hated, especially the cost), we looked up one day and saw a 25 foot motor home coming down the driveway. After that we spent every Thanksgiving, XMas, and Winter vacation for the next ten years piling in that thing and skiing around the Northeast.

I loved it. We would stay at year-round campgrounds, using their showers, lounge rooms and fireplaces etc. My Dad would get up early and drive to the mountain and park while we were sleeping. We would wake up, eat breakfast in the parking lot, and be on our way. We all had keys and came back at our leasure for lunch. It was closed quarters, but somehow we got along.

Today, seeing families with spacious slope-side lodging and all the amenities, I suppose I grew up just having too much fun to realize how "ski house poor" we were.
Attachments
Motor Home Circa 1974 c.jpg
Motor Home Circa 1974 c.jpg (42.61 KiB) Viewed 721 times
2014 - "A South Ridge trail is Pipe Dream. A South Ridge lift shouldn't be."
2019 - "A South Ridge trail is Pipe Dream. A South Ridge lift (operating midweek) shouldn't be."
2023 - Killington announces that the South Ridge lift will run five days a week.
2024 - Killington lied.
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

Southside_Bobby wrote:The size of our "ski house" when I was growing up was about 150 sq. ft. Family of seven.

I was the youngest of five kids, and we started skiing when I was 5 in 1966. After a few years of staying in motels and eating ski lodge lunches (which my Dad hated, especially the cost), we looked up one day and saw a 25 foot motor home coming down the driveway. After that we spent every Thanksgiving, XMas, and Winter vacation for the next ten years piling in that thing and skiing around the Northeast.

I loved it. We would stay at year-round campgrounds, using their showers, lounge rooms and fireplaces etc. My Dad would get up early and drive to the mountain and park while we were sleeping. We would wake up, eat breakfast in the parking lot, and be on our way. We all had keys and came back at our leasure for lunch. It was closed quarters, but somehow we got along.

Today, seeing families with spacious slope-side lodging and all the amenities, I suppose I grew up just having too much fun to realize how "ski house poor" we were.
What a wonderful way for the family to all have fun together. Kudos to your parents for making it happen. My kids instead grew up in our condo at Killington. Nothing adventurous about that.
MrsG
Whipping Post

Post by MrsG »

Wow, great adventurous experience Bobby - thanks for sharing 8)
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

Southside_Bobby wrote: ●The size of our "ski house" when I was growing up was about 150 sq. ft. Family of seven.
●We started skiing when I was 5 in 1966.
●We spent every Thanksgiving, XMas, and Winter vacation for the next ten years piling in that [25 foot motor home] and skiing around the Northeast.
●We would stay at year-round campgrounds...
My Dad would get up early and drive to the mountain and park while we were sleeping. We would wake up, eat breakfast in the parking lot, and be on our way. We all had keys and came back at our leasure for lunch.
That last one is my favorite part. Drive-in slope-side condo with breakfast served up by a ski-Dad that let's you sleep in.

Southside_Bobby wrote:Today, seeing families with spacious slope-side lodging and all the amenities, I suppose I grew up just having too much fun to realize how "ski house poor" we were.
I think that's an outstanding family experience and it is exactly what I was talking about as far as what trade offs you can make when you want to ski and dollars are tight.

Did you go anywhere in it in the summer? Is that you with the K2s?
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

https://www.aarp.org/home-family/friend ... ls-fd.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
Southside_Bobby
Slalom Racer

Post by Southside_Bobby »

Mister Moose wrote:
Southside_Bobby wrote: ●The size of our "ski house" when I was growing up was about 150 sq. ft. Family of seven.
●We started skiing when I was 5 in 1966.
●We spent every Thanksgiving, XMas, and Winter vacation for the next ten years piling in that [25 foot motor home] and skiing around the Northeast.
●We would stay at year-round campgrounds...
My Dad would get up early and drive to the mountain and park while we were sleeping. We would wake up, eat breakfast in the parking lot, and be on our way. We all had keys and came back at our leasure for lunch.
That last one is my favorite part. Drive-in slope-side condo with breakfast served up by a ski-Dad that let's you sleep in.

Southside_Bobby wrote:Today, seeing families with spacious slope-side lodging and all the amenities, I suppose I grew up just having too much fun to realize how "ski house poor" we were.
I think that's an outstanding family experience and it is exactly what I was talking about as far as what trade offs you can make when you want to ski and dollars are tight.

Did you go anywhere in it in the summer? Is that you with the K2s?
We did indeed take summer trips. My Dad was active in the Lions Club, and we used to drive to the International Convention every summer when it was in North America. Dallas, New Orleans, Miami, Chicago, Montreal. We began to tow our VW Bug, leaving the motor home at the campground.

Yes, it is me holding the K2s.
2014 - "A South Ridge trail is Pipe Dream. A South Ridge lift shouldn't be."
2019 - "A South Ridge trail is Pipe Dream. A South Ridge lift (operating midweek) shouldn't be."
2023 - Killington announces that the South Ridge lift will run five days a week.
2024 - Killington lied.
picnic
Black Carver

Post by picnic »

now 65, I gave up skiing about 6 years ago when my wife and I bought a house in ft Lauderdale. No more trips to Kton or out west. winters in fla, Nov-April. I miss the skiing, but other interests in Florida still make the winters fun.
Homer says
Eat at Joe's
Drink at Moe's
(_ 8^(I)
icedtea
Guru Poster

Post by icedtea »

picnic wrote:now 65, I gave up skiing about 6 years ago when my wife and I bought a house in ft Lauderdale. No more trips to Kton or out west. winters in fla, Nov-April. I miss the skiing, but other interests in Florida still make the winters fun.
Why did you give it up? Injury?
"To have the truth in your possession you can be found guilty, sentenced to death."
Peter Tosh
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

icedtea wrote:
picnic wrote:now 65, I gave up skiing about 6 years ago when my wife and I bought a house in ft Lauderdale. No more trips to Kton or out west. winters in fla, Nov-April. I miss the skiing, but other interests in Florida still make the winters fun.
Del Boca Vista.
icedtea
Guru Poster

Post by icedtea »

Mister Moose wrote:
icedtea wrote:
Del Boca Vista.
Wait, there are people that aren’t obsessed with skiing who can just give it up?

Blasphemy...
"To have the truth in your possession you can be found guilty, sentenced to death."
Peter Tosh