Do you remember your first powder day?

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

f.a.s.t.
Wanted Poster

Do you remember your first powder day?

Post by f.a.s.t. »

I started to ski when I was 13 with my school's ski club at little Boyce Park near Pittsburgh, PA. It was once a week for six weeks. The first five weeks it was skiing on hard and icy groomed man made and whatever natural snow they had. On the sixth night it dumped about a foot. I'll never forget my first powder day and how much different it was from the first five times. On the way home I asked my Mom to take me back the next day, I was hooked.
!!!!!!!!!! MAKE AMERICA LOVE AGAIN !!!!!!!!!!
jimmywilson69
Poster Child Poster

Re: Do you remember your first powder day?

Post by jimmywilson69 »

Boyce Park... Nice. I never skied there growing up. I've driven by it numerous times, but never skied there. Growing up near Greensburg it wasn't much farther to drive to Hidden Valley or 7 Springs. Plus obviously those places provided a better ski experience.

First powder day (> 6 inches) would've been my 2nd year skiing. I was still trying to figure out the turning thing, I used to like to bomb the runs and do a big hockey stop at the bottom. I knew how to ice skate, and that was the best way for me to come to a stop!

Anyways It was so much different, than the normal surface I had been used to. I was actually able to be a little more in control, although turning was both easier and harder (from a balance perspective) at the same time. If that makes sense. I was already hooked, so it was just a new experience.
2023-2024

Ski Visits in PA
Roundtop: 12/22,12/23, 1/8, 1/13, 1/14, 1/17 LR, 1/18 LR, 1/19, 1/20, 1/21, 1//22 LR, 1/23 LR, 1/26, 1/29 LR, 2/2 LR, 2/3, 2/4, 2/7 LR, 2/8, 2/9, 2/10, 2/11, 2/15, 2/16 LR, 2/17, 2/18, 2/19 LR, 2/21 LR, 3/8 LR, 3/9, 3/10

Ski Visits in VT
Okemo: 12/8, 2/29, 3/1, 3/2, 3/18
Stowe: 12/9
Killington: 12/10, 2/25, 2/26, 2/27, 3/16, 3/17

Ski Visits in NY
Hunter: 3/15

Total Ski Visits 44

LR = Lunch Runs
freeski
Post Office

Post by freeski »

First time over a foot was at K. Since then a couple >1' at Cannon, Sunday River. One at Bolton Valley. Two at Jerry Hill in Concord.

Best ever... Valentine's Day at Sunday River. :banana: :banana: :banana:
I Belong A Long Way From Here.
freeski
Post Office

Post by freeski »

FAST the quarries are getting cold...
I Belong A Long Way From Here.
Dr. NO
Signature Poster

Post by Dr. NO »

1st time at Medicine Bow (now Snowy Range) west of Laramie. Well over a foot of fresh. tried to turn but skis decided to go straight, over my head and partially into the woods. Bad part was the tails of the skis went into the soft wooded snow all the way to the boot. Took awhile to get the skis under me so I could stand up. Couldn't use the poles as they never touched solid snow or ground. By the end of the day I managed to figure out how to ski Pow (more likely learned how Not to ski in Pow).
MUST STOP POSTING ! MUST STOP POSTING !

Shut up and Ski!

Why's Everybody Always Pickin on Me?
icedtea
Guru Poster

Post by icedtea »

I remember doing an early season day trip to Mt. Snow. My buddy was a year older so we cut high school and somehow made it back and forth to NJ.

First time I also realized how important a base is.
"To have the truth in your possession you can be found guilty, sentenced to death."
Peter Tosh
TreeRunner
Beginner On Rentals

Post by TreeRunner »

1st time in powder was when I was a teen (close to 20 years ago), Sunday night at Wachusetts. Unfortunately I went nights so it was mostly tracked out by then even if still snowing. True first time fresh powder was at K about 12 years ago. That first time going through the trees had me hooked for life.
icedtea
Guru Poster

Post by icedtea »

icedtea wrote:I remember doing an early season day trip to Mt. Snow. My buddy was a year older so we cut high school and somehow made it back and forth to NJ.

First time I also realized how important a base is.
I was rocking the balance. Some ass stole from me at Okemo.Image
"To have the truth in your possession you can be found guilty, sentenced to death."
Peter Tosh
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

Might not have been my first time of experiencing powder but it certainly was the most memorable. I was skiing Rendevous Bowl at Jackson Hole with a friend and trying to navigate about 2 feet of newly fallen snow and somehow I lost one of my skis and it took a long time to locate it. Of course I lost it because I did not know how to ski powder properly. Once I found it though, we really enjoyed that fresh powder.
f.a.s.t.
Wanted Poster

Post by f.a.s.t. »

jimmywilson69 wrote:Boyce Park... Nice. I never skied there growing up. I've driven by it numerous times, but never skied there. Growing up near Greensburg it wasn't much farther to drive to Hidden Valley or 7 Springs. Plus obviously those places provided a better ski experience.

First powder day (> 6 inches) would've been my 2nd year skiing. I was still trying to figure out the turning thing, I used to like to bomb the runs and do a big hockey stop at the bottom. I knew how to ice skate, and that was the best way for me to come to a stop!

Anyways It was so much different, than the normal surface I had been used to. I was actually able to be a little more in control, although turning was both easier and harder (from a balance perspective) at the same time. If that makes sense. I was already hooked, so it was just a new experience.
When did you start skiing at 7 Springs? I was there a lot in the mid to late 70's and less often in the early 80's. Maybe our ski paths crossed or our drinking paths in the Foggy Goggle?
f.a.s.t.
Wanted Poster

Post by f.a.s.t. »

freeski wrote:FAST the quarries are getting cold...
I was up Lake Chocorua last week, the water was still warm enough to swim.
brownman
Postinator

Post by brownman »

Yes
Forever .. Goat Path
LINYbob
Bumper

Post by LINYbob »

When I was living in Houston back in the later 70s, I drove to Taos at the end of the season. It snowed all week. This was April I think.
But they were going to close anyway after the week I was there.

I had no idea how to ski powder, and fell and almost couldn't get out of there. I lost a pole somewhere in the powder, but eventually I managed to find it.
My wonderful East Coast skis, along with my lack of skill, kept the tips diving in the snow - it was a challenge!

Definitely not what I was used to from my VT/MA days.
I knew the car was in there somewhere:
I knew the car was in there somewhere:
s_v13ak33ckam0940b.jpg (94.34 KiB) Viewed 619 times
Attachments
I thought it would be cool if I could get all the way back to Houston with snow on my car:
I thought it would be cool if I could get all the way back to Houston with snow on my car:
s_v13ak33ckam0941b.jpg (103.01 KiB) Viewed 619 times
snowmoose
Beginner On Rentals

Post by snowmoose »

it was in the eighties. we recieved at k over 3 feet of snow and I remember all of us locals for first chair, getting shovels and helping the lifties at the old k chair dig out the snow. It took awhile but well worth it. One of the first on the chair, I ended up skiing with the head of mt. operations at the time, leo deinis, and I talked him into doing the old superstar. We cut the rope and flew down the mountain, wishing we had snorkels on from all the face shots.All of a sudden I hear a guy yelling. there is tex, he lost his ski, and never found it. He skied down on one ski and had a heck of a time. leo and i get to the bottom and lo and behold, there is will skaskiw, one of the heads of ski patrol. He calls us over and wants to see my pass. Leo says to will, Dont take her pass away. that was the best g*d dA* runs :barebutt: I ever had. Well I was exstatic. You see, will was my then boyfriend....... :barebutt:
throbster
Postaholic

Post by throbster »

It was in the early 80's... I was sitting in my room in my frat house... when my room mate walked in with an eight ball...
I get all the news I need from the weather report

- Simon and Garfunkel