About 3 weeks to World Cup course pre-inspection.....

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

yiddle on da fiddle
Powderhound

Re: About 3 weeks to World Cup course pre-inspection.....

Post by yiddle on da fiddle »

Bubba wrote:
rogman wrote:
Dr. NO wrote:aren't there limitations on the Woodward draw down and the Bear and Grand ponds draw down level for fire safety? If they are near capacity on those factors they would have to re-negotiate the pumping systems and peak use of the water.
Quick google search: Snowshed Pond is 7.2 acres and can be drawn down 12 feet. A rough back of the envelope calculation is thus
7.2 acres * 43560 sq ft/acre * 12 feet * 7.48 gallons/cubic foot = 28151608 gallons available
(28151608 gallons / 12000 gallons per minute) / 60 minutes per hour = ~40 hours water from the pond alone.

However the pond gets smaller as we draw down (the sides are not vertical like a swiming pool), so we'll call it somewhere around 36 hours (day and half) at 12000 gallons/minute.

So assuming that replenishment from Woodward is 12000/minute (a huge assumption) you could run considerably longer than 36 hours until you'd effectively sucked the pond dry. Let's say you double the draw down to 24000 gallons per minute. You're pumping water everywhere you can drag a hose to! Double the uphill capacity! You're pulling 24000 gal/minute, with a 12000 gal/minute refill. Snowmakers are running amok. You can still run for that day and half before you have to start thinking about backing off. Yeah, YMMV...

And another completely unproductive day is in the books...Sigh.
Not to worry. Highway Star will fill us all in on Killington's water capability with the insight of the ill informed.
One would certainly think....wonder if our house resident .....knows the water capacity on THIS as well?....
Attachments
enemabag.jpg
enemabag.jpg (19.15 KiB) Viewed 1068 times
yiddle on da fiddle
Powderhound

............................................................................................................................................. :barebutt:
Attachments
enemanozzlecard.png
enemanozzlecard.png (51.04 KiB) Viewed 1066 times
Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Post by Highway Star »

Huh.

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.ph ... hdjb2sUlhE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"I'M YELLING BECAUSE YOU DID SOMETHING COOL!" - Humpty Dumpty

"Kzone should bill you for the bandwidth you waste writing novels to try and prove a point, but end up just looking like a deranged narcissistic fool." - Deadheadskier at madhatter

"The key is to not be lame, and know it, and not give a rat's @$$ what anybody thinks......that's real cool." - Highway Star http://goo.gl/xJxo34" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"I am one of the coolest people on the internet..." - Highway Star

"I have a tiny penis...." - C-Rex

XtremeJibber2001 - THE MAIN STREAM MEDIA HAS YOU COMPLETELY HYPNOTIZED. PLEASE WAKE UP AND LEARN HOW TO FILTER REALITY FROM BS NARRATIVES.

"Your life is only interesting when you capture the best, fakest, most curated split second version." - Team Robot regarding Instagram posters
Big Bob
Postinator

Post by Big Bob »

Race was a success Highwaystar, what do you have to say now? U gonna start winning about next years race or are you going to give up?
2 hours and 10-minute drive to K
2023/2024 Ski Days: 30 days for the season
Killington: 12/14, 1/4, 1/9, 1/11, 1/17, 1/23, 1/31, 2/5, 2/20, 2/26, 3/4, 3/20, 3/25
Loon: 11/29, 12/8, 12/21, 1/8, 1/19, 1/22,1/30, 2/7, 2/15, 3/1, 3/8, 3/22
Sunday River: 3/12
Sugarloaf: 3/13, 3/14
Cannon:1/15, 2/22
twilkas
Tree Psycho

Post by twilkas »

he didnt admit to it last year, dont see why that would change. while understanding the subtleties of various snow making equipment and wet bulb temps etc etc, all of which is quite interesting -- hs big picture? = missing.
i wasnt even there this year, yet still felt an inexplicable, yet very real, sense of pride for my beloved K as i watched live on nbc!

Killington nailed it once again, the ripple affects felt farther and wider than any of us can truly calculate.
Nice job gentleman.
Now let me at that glacier!!! :banana:
Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Post by Highway Star »

Big Bob wrote:Race was a success Highwaystar, what do you have to say now? U gonna start winning about next years race or are you going to give up?
It will be great when the race moves back to Aspen and Killington stops being FIS's bitch.

"Kzone should bill you for the bandwidth you waste writing novels to try and prove a point, but end up just looking like a deranged narcissistic fool." - Deadheadskier at madhatter

"The key is to not be lame, and know it, and not give a rat's @$$ what anybody thinks......that's real cool." - Highway Star http://goo.gl/xJxo34" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

XtremeJibber2001 - THE MAIN STREAM MEDIA HAS YOU COMPLETELY HYPNOTIZED. PLEASE WAKE UP AND LEARN HOW TO FILTER REALITY FROM BS NARRATIVES.

"Your life is only interesting when you capture the best, fakest, most curated split second version." - Team Robot regarding Instagram posters
Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Post by Highway Star »

twilkas wrote:Killington nailed it once again, the ripple affects felt farther and wider than any of us can truly calculate.
Killington's customers aren't going to get jack squat out of this, it's all going to go to POWDR and John Cumming.

rogman
Postinator

Post by rogman »

Highway Star wrote:"Hey you kids get off of my ski area"
Fixed it for you...
freeski
Post Office

Post by freeski »

One of these days HWS is going to be right and he'll be the one the skiers party with during their "down time'.

I Belong A Long Way From Here.
yiddle on da fiddle
Powderhound

"effect". Not affect. Fixed it for ya. HWS is still the nozzle on the enema bag of life...........bottoms UP!.... :barebutt:
snoloco
Tree Psycho

Post by snoloco »

Highway Star, this race is not going back to Aspen. They gave it up so they could start hosting finals. The FIS is going to want to keep it at Killington if they can because they get a much larger turnout than anywhere in the west. There are more racers in the east and just more support for the sport in general.

If you want to ski the most open terrain in November, you'll have to go elsewhere, but by next weekend Killington will be comparable if not better than other mountains in terms of open terrain.
machski
Black Carver

Post by machski »

snoloco wrote:Highway Star, this race is not going back to Aspen. They gave it up so they could start hosting finals. The FIS is going to want to keep it at Killington if they can because they get a much larger turnout than anywhere in the west. There are more racers in the east and just more support for the sport in general.

If you want to ski the most open terrain in November, you'll have to go elsewhere, but by next weekend Killington will be comparable if not better than other mountains in terms of open terrain.
I don't think FIS allows one resort to host finals continuously. And Aspen needs big upgrades prior to the FIS tour stopping there again. But the want to host finals won't keep them from looking to get this race back for years they don't host once they please FIS.
That said, K could only loose them if HWS's wettest dreams came true for two continuous years.
snoloco
Tree Psycho

Post by snoloco »

Only like 1000 people even attended the Thanksgiving Weekend race at Aspen when they had it there. No way the FIS ever gives it back to them if Killington can prove that they can host it consistently.
Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Post by Highway Star »

I'd have no problem with Killington hosting the race, if it was some time in February, or early March.

As it is, we are FIS's bitch. Take a holiday weekend, use half the snow available, and the only base area that is open? Yeah, you're their bitch.

yiddle on da fiddle
Powderhound

Highway Star wrote:I'd have no problem with Killington hosting the race, if it was some time in February, or early March.

As it is, we are FIS's bitch. Take a holiday weekend, use half the snow available, and the only base area that is open? Yeah, you're their bitch.
'Use half the snow available"?....admittedly...I'm no math wunderkind.....and...evidently...neither are you. A giant poster child for Trojan-Enz....yes....