About 3 weeks to World Cup course pre-inspection.....

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

Highway Star
Level 10K poster

About 3 weeks to World Cup course pre-inspection.....

Post by Highway Star »

Soooooooooo...........yeah. About that................. :bang
"I'M YELLING BECAUSE YOU DID SOMETHING COOL!" - Humpty Dumpty

"Kzone should bill you for the bandwidth you waste writing novels to try and prove a point, but end up just looking like a deranged narcissistic fool." - Deadheadskier at madhatter

"The key is to not be lame, and know it, and not give a rat's @$$ what anybody thinks......that's real cool." - Highway Star http://goo.gl/xJxo34" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"I am one of the coolest people on the internet..." - Highway Star

"I have a tiny penis...." - C-Rex

XtremeJibber2001 - THE MAIN STREAM MEDIA HAS YOU COMPLETELY HYPNOTIZED. PLEASE WAKE UP AND LEARN HOW TO FILTER REALITY FROM BS NARRATIVES.

"Your life is only interesting when you capture the best, fakest, most curated split second version." - Team Robot regarding Instagram posters
throbster
Postaholic

Re: About 3 weeks to World Cup course pre-inspection.....

Post by throbster »

[quote="Highway Star"]Soooooooooo...........yeah. About that................. :bang[/quote

5 cold nights is all they need...

http://www.mychamplainvalley.com/news/k ... /843168510
I get all the news I need from the weather report

- Simon and Garfunkel
rogman
Postinator

Post by rogman »

Jet stream is a bit of a problem at the moment: it's bringing up warm air from the south, and will for the next 10 days or so. Once that flips over K should be good to go. Hardly any need to panic.
Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Post by Highway Star »

throbster wrote:
Highway Star wrote:Soooooooooo...........yeah. About that................. :bang[/quote

That's super duper optimistic. 5 nights = 60 hours. They need about 75 acre feet of snow, or 1.25 acre feet per hour. That means about 70 snowguns operating maxed out in totally optimal temps below 20F, using about a 1/3rd of the resort's water pumping capacity. I'm not sure exactly how many snowguns they can get on or around Superstar, but it's not much more than 60. There are limits on how much of a water flow rate they can get on just that trail. At those temps they will not be limited by air flow.

If they don't get the optimal temps, it becomes a battle of how much time they can get at marginal temps vs. reduced water flow on the guns vs. air capacity. In poor temps, one rental compressor only provides enough air for 3 of the K3000 ground guns. They will have over 20 large air compressors available between rentals and installed capacity, but how much air can actually be pumped up the trail? They have said previously they need 144 hours of snowmaking, 6 days, or around .5 acre feet per hour which is a far more realistic figure in marginal temps.
Last edited by Highway Star on Oct 26th, '17, 08:13, edited 2 times in total.

"Kzone should bill you for the bandwidth you waste writing novels to try and prove a point, but end up just looking like a deranged narcissistic fool." - Deadheadskier at madhatter

"The key is to not be lame, and know it, and not give a rat's @$$ what anybody thinks......that's real cool." - Highway Star http://goo.gl/xJxo34" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

XtremeJibber2001 - THE MAIN STREAM MEDIA HAS YOU COMPLETELY HYPNOTIZED. PLEASE WAKE UP AND LEARN HOW TO FILTER REALITY FROM BS NARRATIVES.

"Your life is only interesting when you capture the best, fakest, most curated split second version." - Team Robot regarding Instagram posters
icedtea
Guru Poster

Post by icedtea »

Don’t worry, be happy.

"To have the truth in your possession you can be found guilty, sentenced to death."
Peter Tosh
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

icedtea wrote:Don’t worry, be happy.

Why do you have a picture of my dog? If it wasn't for the blue collar I couldn't tell the difference.
icedtea
Guru Poster

Post by icedtea »

That’s my buddy Jack! RIP half pit half lab best dog I’ve ever had. I swear he understood English and loved to swim.

Was an instant invite into parties down in Squan back in the day.
"To have the truth in your possession you can be found guilty, sentenced to death."
Peter Tosh
machski
Black Carver

Post by machski »

Highway Star wrote:
throbster wrote:
Highway Star wrote:Soooooooooo...........yeah. About that................. :bang[/quote

That's super duper optimistic. 5 nights = 60 hours. They need about 75 acre feet of snow, or 1.25 acre feet per hour. That means about 70 snowguns operating maxed out in totally optimal temps below 20F, using about a 1/3rd of the resort's water pumping capacity. I'm not sure exactly how many snowguns they can get on or around Superstar, but it's not much more than 60. There are limits on how much of a water flow rate they can get on just that trail. At those temps they will not be limited by air flow.

If they don't get the optimal temps, it becomes a battle of how much time they can get at marginal temps vs. reduced water flow on the guns vs. air capacity. In poor temps, one rental compressor only provides enough air for 3 of the K3000 ground guns. They will have over 20 large air compressors available between rentals and installed capacity, but how much air can actually be pumped up the trail? They have said previously they need 144 hours of snowmaking, 6 days, or around .5 acre feet per hour which is a far more realistic figure in marginal temps.
I seem to recall you preached this sermon last year only to have Killington kill it. They will be fine and pull through.
jimmywilson69
Poster Child Poster

Post by jimmywilson69 »

Didn't they run 100 guns on SS last year? I may be misremembering, but I do recall seeing something where they had "splitter" valves off of each hydrant to increase the amount of guns.
2023-2024

Ski Visits in PA
Roundtop: 12/22,12/23, 1/8, 1/13, 1/14, 1/17 LR, 1/18 LR, 1/19, 1/20, 1/21, 1//22 LR, 1/23 LR, 1/26, 1/29 LR, 2/2 LR, 2/3, 2/4, 2/7 LR, 2/8, 2/9, 2/10, 2/11, 2/15, 2/16 LR, 2/17, 2/18, 2/19 LR, 2/21 LR, 3/8 LR, 3/9, 3/10

Ski Visits in VT
Okemo: 12/8, 2/29, 3/1, 3/2, 3/18
Stowe: 12/9
Killington: 12/10, 2/25, 2/26, 2/27, 3/16, 3/17

Ski Visits in NY
Hunter: 3/15

Total Ski Visits 44

LR = Lunch Runs
snoloco
Tree Psycho

Post by snoloco »

While Killington and just about everyone in the local area want to pull this off, it is not the end of the world if they end up cancelling, which will be done if the weather goes bad. It's a weather based sport, and the FIS signed up for this when they decided to hold a race in the east in November. They cancel races every year due to weather.
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

snoloco wrote:While Killington and just about everyone in the local area want to pull this off, it is not the end of the world if they end up cancelling, which will be done if the weather goes bad. It's a weather based sport, and the FIS signed up for this when they decided to hold a race in the east in November. They cancel races every year due to weather.
yup, it's baked in...
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

icedtea wrote:That’s my buddy Jack! RIP half pit half lab best dog I’ve ever had. I swear he understood English and loved to swim.

Was an instant invite into parties down in Squan back in the day.
What's he mixed with? I have a boxer/Australian Shepherd mix and she looks just like him.
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

jimmywilson69 wrote:Didn't they run 100 guns on SS last year? I may be misremembering, but I do recall seeing something where they had "splitter" valves off of each hydrant to increase the amount of guns.
yes. my friend's kids are snowmakers who'll be assigned to supe. they say they can max at about 100 guns.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Post by Highway Star »

skiadikt wrote:
jimmywilson69 wrote:Didn't they run 100 guns on SS last year? I may be misremembering, but I do recall seeing something where they had "splitter" valves off of each hydrant to increase the amount of guns.
yes. my friend's kids are snowmakers who'll be assigned to supe. they say they can max at about 100 guns.
I'll believe that if it includes using splitters. I've counted around 60 hydrant pairs on the trail, or around one pair every 50 feet or so. What's more important is the maximum practical flow rate of air and water they can generate on the trail with the max number of guns, that would allow you to calculate what combination of guns they could use and how much snow they could make in what conditions.

ANGUS
Slalom Racer

Post by ANGUS »

H star is a Killington hating moron. H star please pm your physical address of where you live in your mom's basement. You need help. Twisted F.

I thought your prissy self moved to a " better mountain ". WTF do you care about the cup? Shut the f up and go away! You're not even a pass holder. You opinion doesn't count.