Current Conditions 2200' 17/18

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Re: Current Conditions 2200' 17/18

Post by skiadikt »

daytripper wrote:Just saying that every other major ski resort in Vermont has lifts spinning except Killington.
not true. latest mt snow update:

UPDATE AT 9:26 A.M.: Grommet, Nitro Express, Covered Bridge, Tumbleweed, Outpost, Seasons, The Bluebird Express, Voyager, Gemini, Apollo and Discovery Shuttle are all now open. All other lifts remain on hold.

UPDATE AT 9:16 A.M.: Heavy Metal is now closed.

stowe:
9:25am Update-- The Sunny Spruce Quad and Sensation Quad chairlifts are delayed due to cold weather with no estimated opening time. The Mansfield Gondola & OverEasy Transfer Gondola are on wind hold. Shuttles are providing transportation between Spruce Peak and Mt Mansfield. All other scheduled lifts are open.

sugarbush:
Heaven's Gate is on windhold.

jay peak:
December 28th 9:22 AM We’ve closed Upper Mountain lift access for today, as the mercury is so cold, even a Polar Bear would likely be looking for a second layer and some hand warmers. Lower Mountain lifts, minus the Metro Quad, started to spin at 8:00 AM, and as of now, it looks like we’ll have Lower Mountain spinning until 4:00 PM today.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
SnoBrdr
Whipping Post

Post by SnoBrdr »

Bubba wrote:
skiadikt wrote:from report:
All lifts are on hold. We expect to have some lifts operating by 9 a.m.

enjoying a chai latte & croissants. might sit today out ...
Wouldn't surprise me if the hold is, at least in part, power related. Real time price is around $200/MWH and VELCO shows load trending above forecast. Request for voluntary load reductions from large customers would be normal in these conditions. GIS may know more.
Heard last night at Casey's that Pico Condo were without power.

Dunno if it was true but if it was I hope they have it back by now.
Beware of fools & trolls here, they lurk everywhere.
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

skiadikt wrote:
daytripper wrote:Just saying that every other major ski resort in Vermont has lifts spinning except Killington.

UPDATE AT 9:26 A.M.: Grommet, Nitro Express, Covered Bridge, Tumbleweed, Outpost, Seasons, The Bluebird Express, Voyager, Gemini, Apollo and Discovery Shuttle are all now open. All other lifts remain on hold.

stowe:
9:25am Update-- The Sunny Spruce Quad and Sensation Quad chairlifts are delayed due to cold weather with no estimated opening time. The Mansfield Gondola & OverEasy Transfer Gondola are on wind hold. Shuttles are providing transportation between Spruce Peak and Mt Mansfield. All other scheduled lifts are open.

sugarbush:

jay peak:
December 28th 9:22 AM We’ve closed Upper Mountain lift access for today, as the mercury is so cold, even a Polar Bear would likely be looking for a second layer and some hand warmers. Lower Mountain lifts, minus the Metro Quad, started to spin at 8:00 AM, and as of now, it looks like we’ll have Lower Mountain spinning until 4:00 PM today.
They all say at least some lifts are open.
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

brownman wrote:They're only trying to save you insane people from yourselves. :chill
You really should be thanking them. :like

:Toast
gotta agree w that...
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

daytripper wrote:
skiadikt wrote:

stowe:

sugarbush:

jay peak:
and k has 15 lifts running so what's your point. as of now only supe, needles & canyon are closed and i'm sure you wanna be riding that canyon today. :roll: a 9am start when it was -16 at the base and windy is no biggie. bash away if that's your thing.
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

It's more just the safer world we live in, 10+ years ago lifts would spin in the frigid cold, I've skied in -15, back in mid 2000's it seemed to always be that cold and all lifts turned. You just dressed for it and came in after 2 or 3 runs. Different world now, you can't make your own decisions, may be because people sue for all sorts of sh*t like frostbite and even if the mountain won the case it still costs lawyer fees. The world is made too safe now.
SnoBrdr
Whipping Post

Post by SnoBrdr »

skiadikt wrote:
daytripper wrote:
skiadikt wrote:

stowe:

sugarbush:

jay peak:
and k has 15 lifts running so what's your point. as of now only supe, needles & canyon are closed and i'm sure you wanna be riding that canyon today. :roll: a 9am start when it was -16 at the base and windy is no biggie. bash away if that's your thing.
Superstar was ruining at 2 pm.
Beware of fools & trolls here, they lurk everywhere.
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

SnoBrdr wrote:
skiadikt wrote:
daytripper wrote:
skiadikt wrote:

stowe:

sugarbush:

jay peak:
Superstar was ruining at 2 pm.
Was not running at 11 when I started skiing but K1 was running and had a line because almost everyone wanted to ride it. Saw people on the triple so some were courageous enough to ride it.
Woodsrider
Slalom Racer

Post by Woodsrider »

My daughter and I got caught on the SPQ for a few long stops due to wind. Rough in that wind. She’s a trooper.
Guy in Shorts
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by Guy in Shorts »

Bubba wrote:
skiadikt wrote:from report:
All lifts are on hold. We expect to have some lifts operating by 9 a.m.

enjoying a chai latte & croissants. might sit today out ...
Wouldn't surprise me if the hold is, at least in part, power related. Real time price is around $200/MWH and VELCO shows load trending above forecast. Request for voluntary load reductions from large customers would be normal in these conditions. GIS may know more.
Sorry to be late for is it too cold ski thread but I was out skiing in the totally unsafe minus 17 degree weather. lifts were on hold for the first hour but no-one that was really at mountain seemed to mind. Bummer that some of you tucked safely behind your keyboards felt different. GMP can require Killington to shut down snowmaking to conserve on power if needed. The power that was out to the Pico condos was caused by a crew digging up an underground power line as they attempted to move the output from the new solar panels. It seems when the panels were initially wired into the same feed as the condos. Home Owner Assoc objected and gave Killington 30 days to separate the solar power from the condo building power feeder thus you have construction project going on below zero weather taking out power to buildings full of vacationers. Nice work Pico Homeowners Assoc.
If my words did glow with the gold of sunshine.
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

Sunday morning, New Years Eve at 7:25 AM. At my house across from Pico, it's currently -13 and I can hear wind gusting outside. Pico's website says -9 and Killington's says -10. Whatever....it's cold.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

warmed up to a balmy -11 at 9:35am here in "downtown" mendon. after yesterday's freeze out, sitting the dance out today. enjoy ...
MrsG
Whipping Post

Post by MrsG »

Up tp -2.4 here at 2,200, sunny, and no wind .... We'll give it a try - found some old Bolle goggles I bought on Steep & Cheap a long, long time ago for $25 - Hope they are better than my over $100 ones :mrgreen:
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

MINUS 26 at the bottom of kelly hill, didn't go above minus 24 all the way to rochester this morning...
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
Guy in Shorts
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by Guy in Shorts »

Cold settled in the valleys this morning.
If my words did glow with the gold of sunshine.