Top To Bottom

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

deadheadskier
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Re: Top To Bottom

Post by deadheadskier »

180 wrote:I have to disagree, early season TTB K never has had an advantage, GN to Bunny and Mouse Trap is long way with crappy narrow trails. Okemo and Mt Snow with their long flat wide trails is far easier to cover. What makes us love the Beast the rest of the season, hurts us now and always has.
I think the frustration lies with some that Killington clearly has the fire power, elevation and resources to go TTB as quickly as anywhere else.

Wildcat is opening Saturday with Lynx ttb. That's a 1.5 mile long run of good pitch, 2100 vertical and plenty of areas of ledge. They only have an approximately 2M gallon reservoir and far less pumping and air capicity, lower base elevation and a fraction of the revenue Killington has, yet they're getting it done.

I applaud Killington for having the Stairway in place for getting those October turns ready more years than not. Likewise applaud them for longest season. But with a window of cold weather like this one and a not too terrible forecast for next week, I can certainly appreciate some regulars being upset they aren't making the effort to get ttb. Hopefully they surprise folks and pull it off.

Nothing wrong with some passholders venting their frustration. Isn't that how the stairway came to be in the first place?
Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Post by Highway Star »

Mistergiff wrote:
daytripper wrote:
madhatter wrote:
5:03 pm 11/09/17--Winter is here, skiers and riders! As we head into day three of the longest season in the East, our forecast is calling for single digit temperatures overnight. You can bet that Killington snowmakers will use those frosty temps to maximum advantage as they start to expand terrain. Upper Great Northern and Upper East Fall will be under the guns tonight, and of course Superstar will be too as we prepare for the upcoming Audi FIS Ski World Cup taking place Thanksgiving weekend.

Well kick Friday off with Rime and Reason freshly groomed. If our snowmakers make good progress, we could see Upper Great Northern from the K-1 Express Gondola unload down to Rime open soon. Until then, expect two way traffic on the Peak Walkway as outlined below.

With this aggressive cold front moving through tonight, we could see some weather related delays on Friday morning. Check back here before heading to the hill, and well keep you posted.

Already starting with the weather related delays.....it's to cold so we won't be ready to go on time!
This has nothing to do with the cold. Its going to be very windy out of the northwest in the morning. Just the type of wind that shuts down the North Ridge Triple.
Too bad you couldn't ski top to bottom.
"I'M YELLING BECAUSE YOU DID SOMETHING COOL!" - Humpty Dumpty

"Kzone should bill you for the bandwidth you waste writing novels to try and prove a point, but end up just looking like a deranged narcissistic fool." - Deadheadskier at madhatter

"The key is to not be lame, and know it, and not give a rat's @$$ what anybody thinks......that's real cool." - Highway Star http://goo.gl/xJxo34" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"I am one of the coolest people on the internet..." - Highway Star

"I have a tiny penis...." - C-Rex

XtremeJibber2001 - THE MAIN STREAM MEDIA HAS YOU COMPLETELY HYPNOTIZED. PLEASE WAKE UP AND LEARN HOW TO FILTER REALITY FROM BS NARRATIVES.

"Your life is only interesting when you capture the best, fakest, most curated split second version." - Team Robot regarding Instagram posters
ANGUS
Slalom Racer

Post by ANGUS »

Wtf? Can we just call this the whiner Zone. Everyone should shut the f*&k up or get a punch in the face. It will be what it is. World cup will be amazing. Don't like it? Go ask for your pass money back. Otherwise shut the f*ck up!
Big Bob
Postinator

Post by Big Bob »

After having a great day on Wed, get the top open first, then blow lower Eastfall to the canyon chair and the runout. Great Northern sucks and gets clogged up with gapers! Let them go to Mt Snow and Okemo. This will give K one more lift. A little exercise on the 18 story stairmaster will be good for your health. Looking foreword to Superstar after it is de iced and worthy for the general public.
2 hours and 10-minute drive to K
2023/2024 Ski Days: 33 days for the season
Killington: 12/14, 1/4, 1/9, 1/11, 1/17, 1/23, 1/31, 2/5, 2/20, 2/26, 3/4, 3/20, 3/25, 4/2, 4/5
Loon: 11/29, 12/8, 12/21, 1/8, 1/19, 1/22,1/30, 2/7, 2/15, 3/1, 3/8, 3/22, 4/14
Sunday River: 3/12
Sugarloaf: 3/13, 3/14
Cannon:1/15, 2/22
rogman
Postinator

Post by rogman »

Downside: we wait an extra week for top to bottom.
Upside: faster expansion later due to the extra compressors.

I'll make that trade every time. The GN WROD kinda sucks. The sooner we get through that phase the better.

A bit hypocritical for HS to complain about them making snow one week then reverse course the next week and complain because they aren't. Some jackasses just like to hear themselves bray.
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

rogman wrote:Downside: we wait an extra week for top to bottom.
Upside: faster expansion later due to the extra compressors.

I'll make that trade every time. The GN WROD kinda sucks. The sooner we get through that phase the better.

A bit hypocritical for HS to complain about them making snow one week then reverse course the next week and complain because they aren't. Some jackasses just like to hear themselves bray.
yep basically a runout...
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

The K-1 Express Gondola and North Ridge Triple will be delayed until approximately 9:30 a.m. today.
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

The K-1 Express Gondola and North Ridge Triple will be delayed until approximately 10:00 a.m. today.
mach es sehr schnell

madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

The K-1 Express Gondola and North Ridge Triple will be delayed until approximately 10:30 a.m. today.
mach es sehr schnell

madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

The K-1 Express Gondola and North Ridge Triple will be delayed until approximately 10:45 a.m. today.
mach es sehr schnell

biged
Slalom Racer

Post by biged »

Big Bob wrote:After having a great day on Wed, get the top open first, then blow lower Eastfall to the canyon chair and the runout. Great Northern sucks and gets clogged up with gapers! Let them go to Mt Snow and Okemo. This will give K one more lift. A little exercise on the 18 story stairmaster will be good for your health. Looking foreword to Superstar after it is de iced and worthy for the general public.
Sounds like a good option, I would think it would be easier to put the cable and chairs on triple without skiers underneath.
brownman
Postinator

Post by brownman »

Wind loading into lower SS woods makes for decent early season bush whackin :like
Corniceimo is getting hammered :wink:
What a difference a few days make. :shock:
The Michaela show is most def hapnin.

:Toast
Forever .. Goat Path
Southside_Bobby
Slalom Racer

Post by Southside_Bobby »

biged wrote:
Big Bob wrote:After having a great day on Wed, get the top open first, then blow lower Eastfall to the canyon chair and the runout. Great Northern sucks and gets clogged up with gapers! Let them go to Mt Snow and Okemo. This will give K one more lift. A little exercise on the 18 story stairmaster will be good for your health. Looking foreword to Superstar after it is de iced and worthy for the general public.
Sounds like a good option, I would think it would be easier to put the cable and chairs on triple without skiers underneath.
I would love it if opening LEF and the canyon quad was the next goal. But it clearly is not the pattern of expansion that K has shown in recent years.

They want to ultimately get GN all the way down. So the top, then GN to the glades chair, then GN to K1, then open Snowdon, then GN to Ramshead.

One year recently they got Lower East Fall open earlier, and I loved it. I think many of us would prefer that. But K isn't just catering to us. And it makes total sense that they would want to make GN their first priority before LEF.
2014 - "A South Ridge trail is Pipe Dream. A South Ridge lift shouldn't be."
2019 - "A South Ridge trail is Pipe Dream. A South Ridge lift (operating midweek) shouldn't be."
2023 - Killington announces that the South Ridge lift will run five days a week.
2024 - Killington lied.
ME2VTSkier
Powderhound
Location: Aroostook County ME, Plymouth VT, Block Island RI, Clarksville OH, Ocala FL

Post by ME2VTSkier »

Southside_Bobby wrote:One year recently they got Lower East Fall open earlier, and I loved it. I think many of us would prefer that. But K isn't just catering to us. And it makes total sense that they would want to make GN their first priority before LEF.
It wouldn't be a bad idea if they made enough upgrades to be able to do both at the same time! :idea:

I mean come on, the temps are in the low teens there. Every gun possible should be running.
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

ME2VTSkier wrote:
Southside_Bobby wrote:One year recently they got Lower East Fall open earlier, and I loved it. I think many of us would prefer that. But K isn't just catering to us. And it makes total sense that they would want to make GN their first priority before LEF.
It wouldn't be a bad idea if they made enough upgrades to be able to do both at the same time! :idea:

I mean come on, the temps are in the low teens there. Every gun possible should be running.
i get it but obviously getting an intermediate route to the base is the priority. also east fall probably requires more snow and the runout being flat probably more prone to melting out. you'd have to think they're maxed out at this point especially running upwards of 100 guns on superstar.
spoiled South American skiin' whore