Top To Bottom

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

throbster
Postaholic

Top To Bottom

Post by throbster »

I'd like to see K start the march to the bottom and connect the glades from the top. It looks like Slokemo has two runs covered ttb already (granted it looks pretty thin). Upper East Fall should be open soon, but c'mon!
I get all the news I need from the weather report

- Simon and Garfunkel
madhatter
Signature Poster

Re: Top To Bottom

Post by madhatter »

throbster wrote:I'd like to see K start the march to the bottom and connect the glades from the top. It looks like Slokemo has two runs covered ttb already (granted it looks pretty thin). Upper East Fall should be open soon, but c'mon!
rumor is ---not this week...
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
DES
Slalom Racer

Post by DES »

I was hoping to wait for TTB to use my free voucher, but I can't...just packed my Jeep for tomorrow.
snoloco
Tree Psycho

Post by snoloco »

As I said before, there's zero chance with the World Cup going on. Hate to say it, but it does impact public skiing terrain and not in a good way. Public skiing is never the emphasis of the host resort in the weeks prior to a WC event. They will be blowing Superstar all weekend and only North Ridge will be open to the public until Superstar is finished. They aren't even blowing GN from the top to avoid both ways on the stairs. Highway Star is going to be right on this one. Next week looks ok for nighttime snowmaking, which will be used to finish up Superstar for snow control on the 18th. They still have to get Skyelark covered as a training run, although last year they went top to bottom at the same time that they were doing that. There may be top to bottom by the 18th depending on how early they finish Superstar and otherwise it will happen on the 22nd.

Okemo does not have a World Cup to host in 2 weeks and they can and they can focus 100% on public terrain. Killington will realize that you can't have both the most terrain open in the east in November and a World Cup race. That's about all there is to it. Highway Star will be right about this one.
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

snoloco wrote:As I said before, there's zero chance with the World Cup going on. Hate to say it, but it does impact public skiing terrain and not in a good way. Public skiing is never the emphasis of the host resort in the weeks prior to a WC event. They will be blowing Superstar all weekend and only North Ridge will be open to the public until Superstar is finished. They aren't even blowing GN from the top to avoid both ways on the stairs. Highway Star is going to be right on this one. Next week looks ok for nighttime snowmaking, which will be used to finish up Superstar for snow control on the 18th. They still have to get Skyelark covered as a training run, although last year they went top to bottom at the same time that they were doing that. There may be top to bottom by the 18th depending on how early they finish Superstar and otherwise it will happen on the 22nd.

Okemo does not have a World Cup to host in 2 weeks and they can and they can focus 100% on public terrain. Killington will realize that you can't have both the most terrain open in the east in November and a World Cup race. That's about all there is to it. Highway Star will be right about this one.
has more to do with the expense to get all the way down and the warm up that is apparently coming next week...not sure how the skiing was at okemo today...and even this weekend it'll still be okemo...I ski 2-3 days before thanksgiving most years, if that...now may and june, that's a different story... how many trails okemo in may? rumors aren't always fact, but I'm pretty sure the source is fairly reliable...guns and hoses are laid out up top...
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
snoloco
Tree Psycho

Post by snoloco »

Okemo wasn't open today.

If they start blowing top to bottom Thursday night they will probably have it for Sunday. They would've had to do it today if they were to have any hope of opening it on Saturday.

Next week isn't really supposed to be all that warm. I'm seeing highs in the lower 40's and lows somewhere in the 20's. Typical for this time of year. I guarantee if there wasn't a World Cup this year Killington would've been trying to get top to bottom by the weekend. Especially if other mountains were opening. It's just not going to be the priority this year, or any others where they have a World Cup Thanksgiving Weekend.

Having the guns staged there means nothing except that it will be the next terrain to be blown, which is the case every year.
spiderpig
Beginner On Rentals

Post by spiderpig »

snoloco wrote:Okemo wasn't open today.
That's the point.
alanlw9
Beginner On Rentals

Post by alanlw9 »

Why with four days of temps never going above freezing couldnyou not get top to bottom?

Why are they not even blowing the top of great northern to make the stairs only have one way traffic?

I understand the World Cup means something to some people, not the average customer. We’re sacrificing our mountain so people who are loyal to other mountains can come for the weekend and maybe spend a few dollars on an event that Killington runs at a loss.

Lowland mountains like mount snow will be top to bottom and the biggest resort in the east will be confined to the slowest “not really a triple” around. Let’s hope the power line doesn’t blow out again this year.

Seriously? Four days of optimal snowmaking and we won’t even have considered top to bottom.

Yikes!!!
Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Post by Highway Star »

If they start blowing top to bottom Thursday night they will probably have it for Sunday. They would've had to do it today if they were to have any hope of opening it on Saturday.

Next week isn't really supposed to be all that warm. I'm seeing highs in the lower 40's and lows somewhere in the 20's. Typical for this time of year. I guarantee if there wasn't a World Cup this year Killington would've been trying to get top to bottom by the weekend. Especially if other mountains were opening. It's just not going to be the priority this year, or any others where they have a World Cup Thanksgiving Weekend.

Having the guns staged there means nothing except that it will be the next terrain to be blown, which is the case every year.
alanlw9 wrote:Why with four days of temps never going above freezing couldnyou not get top to bottom?

Why are they not even blowing the top of great northern to make the stairs only have one way traffic?

I understand the World Cup means something to some people, not the average customer. We’re sacrificing our mountain so people who are loyal to other mountains can come for the weekend and maybe spend a few dollars on an event that Killington runs at a loss.

Lowland mountains like mount snow will be top to bottom and the biggest resort in the east will be confined to the slowest “not really a triple” around. Let’s hope the power line doesn’t blow out again this year.

Seriously? Four days of optimal snowmaking and we won’t even have considered top to bottom.

Yikes!!!
http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.ph ... 3989452921" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Forecast now shows a 50+ hour window of FULLY optimal snowmaking temps, under 20F wet bulb, from 5am Friday until 9am Sunday - AT THE BOTTOM OF RAMS HEAD. It's a real problem if they can't get open top to bottom. Killington can pump about 12,000 GPM and it's impossible to put all of it onto Superstar. How much will the K-1 top to bottom route get...???
Last edited by Highway Star on Nov 9th, '17, 10:25, edited 1 time in total.
"I'M YELLING BECAUSE YOU DID SOMETHING COOL!" - Humpty Dumpty

"Kzone should bill you for the bandwidth you waste writing novels to try and prove a point, but end up just looking like a deranged narcissistic fool." - Deadheadskier at madhatter

"The key is to not be lame, and know it, and not give a rat's @$$ what anybody thinks......that's real cool." - Highway Star http://goo.gl/xJxo34" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"I am one of the coolest people on the internet..." - Highway Star

"I have a tiny penis...." - C-Rex

XtremeJibber2001 - THE MAIN STREAM MEDIA HAS YOU COMPLETELY HYPNOTIZED. PLEASE WAKE UP AND LEARN HOW TO FILTER REALITY FROM BS NARRATIVES.

"Your life is only interesting when you capture the best, fakest, most curated split second version." - Team Robot regarding Instagram posters
throbster
Postaholic

Post by throbster »

They just started the guns from the top
I get all the news I need from the weather report

- Simon and Garfunkel
boston_e
Postaholic

Post by boston_e »

On the flip side, as soon as the World Cup is out of town, skylark and superstar should immediately be able to open.

I’d take that over the great northern / mouse trap / bunny buster f*** any day of the week.

I also almost never ski before thanksgiving... maybe a day at most.
Don't Killington Pico
yiddle on da fiddle
Powderhound

Post by yiddle on da fiddle »

"Top to Bottom"?...or , in HumptySpeak?...Bottom-to-Top......a/k/a......A T M. Figure it out........
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

boston_e wrote:On the flip side, as soon as the World Cup is out of town, skylark and superstar should immediately be able to open.

I’d take that over the great northern / mouse trap / bunny buster f*** any day of the week.

I also almost never ski before thanksgiving... maybe a day at most.
:like :like
mach es sehr schnell

Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Post by Highway Star »

Highway Star wrote:

alanlw9 wrote:Why with four days of temps never going above freezing couldnyou not get top to bottom?

Yikes!!!
http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.ph ... 3989452921" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Forecast now shows a 50+ hour window of FULLY optimal snowmaking temps, under 20F wet bulb, from 5am Friday until 9am Sunday - AT THE BOTTOM OF RAMS HEAD. It's a real problem if they can't get open top to bottom. Killington can pump about 12,000 GPM and it's impossible to put all of it onto Superstar. How much will the K-1 top to bottom route get...???

Just wanted to point out this forecast is for 2500ft at the BOTTOM OF RAMSHEAD.
"I'M YELLING BECAUSE YOU DID SOMETHING COOL!" - Humpty Dumpty

"Kzone should bill you for the bandwidth you waste writing novels to try and prove a point, but end up just looking like a deranged narcissistic fool." - Deadheadskier at madhatter

"The key is to not be lame, and know it, and not give a rat's @$$ what anybody thinks......that's real cool." - Highway Star http://goo.gl/xJxo34" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"I am one of the coolest people on the internet..." - Highway Star

"I have a tiny penis...." - C-Rex

XtremeJibber2001 - THE MAIN STREAM MEDIA HAS YOU COMPLETELY HYPNOTIZED. PLEASE WAKE UP AND LEARN HOW TO FILTER REALITY FROM BS NARRATIVES.

"Your life is only interesting when you capture the best, fakest, most curated split second version." - Team Robot regarding Instagram posters
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

Highway Star wrote:
Highway Star wrote:

Yikes!!!

Just wanted to point out this forecast is for 2500ft at the BOTTOM OF RAMSHEAD.

how much do you think that would cost?
mach es sehr schnell