Hunter Expansion

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

Southside_Bobby
Slalom Racer

Hunter Expansion

Post by Southside_Bobby »

I know that few of you ski Hunter, but it is less than an hour from me so I ski it a lot when I don't have available time to drive to and from Vermont.

This would be major expansion for them, and the most expansion in many years.

Hunter gets a bad rep due to weekend crowds filled with busloads of kids from Long Island. But if you ever are in the area and get a chance to ski it during the week, do so. It is usually fairly empty.

I think Hunter has the most challenging terrain south of Killington, by far.

https://www.hudsonvalley360.com/article ... new-trails" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2014 - "A South Ridge trail is Pipe Dream. A South Ridge lift shouldn't be."
2019 - "A South Ridge trail is Pipe Dream. A South Ridge lift (operating midweek) shouldn't be."
2023 - Killington announces that the South Ridge lift will run five days a week.
2024 - Killington lied.
Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Re: Hunter Expansion

Post by Highway Star »

Southside_Bobby wrote:I know that few of you ski Hunter, but it is less than an hour from me so I ski it a lot when I don't have available time to drive to and from Vermont.

Hunter gets a bad rep due to weekend crowds filled with busloads of kids from Long Island. But if you ever are in the area and get a chance to ski it during the week, do so. It is usually fairly empty.

https://www.hudsonvalley360.com/article ... new-trails" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hunter and its sidecountry have the best terrain south of Stowe. If they got 400 inches of snow a year they'd be world class.
"I'M YELLING BECAUSE YOU DID SOMETHING COOL!" - Humpty Dumpty

"Kzone should bill you for the bandwidth you waste writing novels to try and prove a point, but end up just looking like a deranged narcissistic fool." - Deadheadskier at madhatter

"The key is to not be lame, and know it, and not give a rat's @$$ what anybody thinks......that's real cool." - Highway Star http://goo.gl/xJxo34" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"I am one of the coolest people on the internet..." - Highway Star

"I have a tiny penis...." - C-Rex

XtremeJibber2001 - THE MAIN STREAM MEDIA HAS YOU COMPLETELY HYPNOTIZED. PLEASE WAKE UP AND LEARN HOW TO FILTER REALITY FROM BS NARRATIVES.

"Your life is only interesting when you capture the best, fakest, most curated split second version." - Team Robot regarding Instagram posters
Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Post by Highway Star »

The project features five new trails, a new chairlift, a large parking area with 250 spots, a pedestrian bridge and a new access road off Deming Road. The expansion is estimated to cost approximately $9 million and has the potential to generate $1.5 million to $2 million in revenue per year.

No structures were included in the proposal.
I find it absolutely shocking that resort would expand it's intermediate terrain and expect to bring in additional revenue. Killington has demonstrated that you can have an abysmal experience for your intermediate customers, and still get at least a sustenance level of business over the course of the season.
"I'M YELLING BECAUSE YOU DID SOMETHING COOL!" - Humpty Dumpty

"Kzone should bill you for the bandwidth you waste writing novels to try and prove a point, but end up just looking like a deranged narcissistic fool." - Deadheadskier at madhatter

"The key is to not be lame, and know it, and not give a rat's @$$ what anybody thinks......that's real cool." - Highway Star http://goo.gl/xJxo34" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"I am one of the coolest people on the internet..." - Highway Star

"I have a tiny penis...." - C-Rex

XtremeJibber2001 - THE MAIN STREAM MEDIA HAS YOU COMPLETELY HYPNOTIZED. PLEASE WAKE UP AND LEARN HOW TO FILTER REALITY FROM BS NARRATIVES.

"Your life is only interesting when you capture the best, fakest, most curated split second version." - Team Robot regarding Instagram posters
hillbangin
Wanted Poster

Post by hillbangin »

Highway Star wrote:
Southside_Bobby wrote:I know that few of you ski Hunter, but it is less than an hour from me so I ski it a lot when I don't have available time to drive to and from Vermont.

Hunter and its sidecountry have the best terrain south of Stowe. If they got 400 inches of snow a year they'd be world class.

Uh...Anyone that gets 400 inches a year is world class - you are a complete toolbag captain obvious.
snoloco
Tree Psycho

Post by snoloco »

I've skied there many times. That terrain looks far too steep to be intermediate so they will need to do lots of blasting to cut the trails.
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

I've skied there many times and enjoyed skiing their challenging terrain. It's closer to my home too but I still prefer Killington because of the variety of terrain it has.
Mriceyman
Green Skidder

Post by Mriceyman »

hillbangin wrote:
Highway Star wrote:

Uh...Anyone that gets 400 inches a year is world class - you are a complete toolbag captain obvious.
If the poconoes got 800" they wouldnt be world class
Sergio2232
Beginner On Rentals

Post by Sergio2232 »

Mriceyman wrote:
hillbangin wrote:
Highway Star wrote:

Boom! So many douche bags in here. No wonder its such a shitty basic forum , no one wants to donate to the group of tools that run/dont moderate this page. and im not calling out hs, im calling out the rest of you internet tough guy morons that bash everyone whose opinion is different than your own.
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

Sergio2232 wrote:
Mriceyman wrote:
hillbangin wrote:
Highway Star wrote:

Boom! So many douche bags in here. No wonder its such a shitty basic forum , no one wants to donate to the group of tools that run/dont moderate this page. and im not calling out hs, im calling out the rest of you internet tough guy morons that bash everyone whose opinion is different than your own.
If you don't like it here then go somewhere else. Nobody is forcing you to be a part of kzone.
Southside_Bobby
Slalom Racer

Post by Southside_Bobby »

snoloco wrote:I've skied there many times. That terrain looks far too steep to be intermediate so they will need to do lots of blasting to cut the trails.
No doubt. Most of the trails at Hunter involved a lot of blasting, They carved out intermediate terrain on "terraces", with the more difficult stuff falling off the sides. In particular Lower K27, which is in the upper left of the pic.

The history at Hunter is that it was originally to be a private resort owned by a bunch of wealthy entertainers. They hired the Slutzky family to build the place. They were roadbuilders, and had all the heavy equipment necessary to blast out the trails. In the end the owners basically went bankrupt, and the Slutzkies ended up owning the hill. They would hire their roadbuilding employees at the hill in the winter, keeping them employed year-found.

The family maintained ownership until two years ago when Peak resorts bought it.
Attachments
Hunter.JPG
Hunter.JPG (208.85 KiB) Viewed 689 times
2014 - "A South Ridge trail is Pipe Dream. A South Ridge lift shouldn't be."
2019 - "A South Ridge trail is Pipe Dream. A South Ridge lift (operating midweek) shouldn't be."
2023 - Killington announces that the South Ridge lift will run five days a week.
2024 - Killington lied.
Woodsrider
Slalom Racer

Post by Woodsrider »

Hunter has some great terrain. The west side is great. Annapurna is a great bump run. Great side country too. The area off the fire tower is fun. I hope they don’t trash it cutting blue traverses into the hill. The best part of the west side is no herbs. The problem with Hunter in general is all the New Yorkers that ski there. You think the gondi line at K is rough at the opening bell on a powder day? That’s the typical Saturday at Hunter.