Killington's Got This!

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

rogman
Postinator

Killington's Got This!

Post by rogman »

Took a walk up to the U-Bar to check on the progress. Impressive, to say the least. That's one huge berm they built at the bottom. They are continuing to make snow, it was several feet deep up top a week ago, can only imagine what it looks like now. Well done, Killington! You are doing yourselves, Vt, and the East proud.

Lot of complaints by some ill-informed individuals. It didn't make sense to blow snow to the base at the beginning of this recent cold snap. The ground wasn't frozen. I know: I walked down Lower Bunny a week ago. Letting the ground harden up a bit makes sense, otherwise your just wasting time and energy trying to cool the ground down. As of this morning, they started making snow on the now frozen Lower Bunny; they've since added guns most of the way down Great Northern, so top to bottom is imminent. Also, I suspect one of the reasons that they diverted more resources to the Cup Venue was simply pre-bookings. Based on what I saw in the North Ridge and the light traffic on the Access Road, they felt they didn't need the added capacity, and felt the resources were better allocated to Super Star at this time. It's a business.

As for "two completely separate snow making systems" that's either a bit of hyperbole on Killington's part, or misinterpretation of Mike and/or Jeff's original statements. I neither know nor care. Rough schematic of their system is that there are ponds, pumps, and compressors at both Snowshed and Bear (thus you could say there are two systems). Both are fed by streams, Roaring Brook on the Snowshed side, Falls Brook on the Bear side. How much they draw from them (perhaps none) I don't know. Ski areas are required to maintain minimum flow rates so that what they can draw from streams is highly variable. In addition there is a huge pipe from Woodward Reservoir about 6 miles down Rte 100 towards Okemo that feeds both ponds. Killington claims a pumping capacity of 12000 gallons/minute. I'm sure it's true. What isn't clear is where that capacity is; is it from Woodward to Killington, or up the hill? They are probably different numbers, with the ponds taking up the slack. From an engineering perspective, larger capacity up the hill would be preferred so that they can take advantage of short term cold snaps, at least until the ponds are drawn down. However, that would not represent a steady state capacity.

Snow making systems are kind of like trees: large pipes at the root to move water to various locations, smaller pipes up the individual trails. Obviously there has to be one each for water and air. To accommodate the World Cup, Killington brought in extra compressors at Bear. There are 13 there, instead of the usual 6 or 7. Last year, I don't think they added any extra compressors at Snow Shed. I don't know about this year, haven't looked. The reason this matters is because it means for the Superstar work, they are using the Bear infrastructure; for North Ridge, they are using the Snow Shed infrastructure. Thus they can honestly say they are two different systems.

Unfortunately, this isn't completely accurate either. The two systems are linked: they can move air and water from one part of the mountain to another as needed. There are pipes in the system where the direction of flow depends on how the system is configured. The reason that matters is that just because you can move 12000 gallons per minute (Killington's nominal capacity somewhere) doesn't mean you can move all of it to any one point. There are certainly bottle necks. Using the Bear side for SS means that the Killington Basin infrastructure is available for North Ridge and Snowdon. However, one of the remarkable things was that a few days ago they had 140 guns running on Superstar, way more than I'd guess to be the capacity of the pipes along the trail, unless they are pressurizing from the top (the Bear Side) and the bottom (the Snow Shed side). I don't know, I'm genuinely wondering how they managed that. Regardless, there were many guns running at the base that were certainly driven from Snow Shed.

I don't think it was Killington's intention to siphon off what was intended to be skier resources for the World Cup, clearly the abnormally warm October changed that. People making a big deal out of it are taking a very short view. Those extra compressors are going to be awesome when they finish the World Cup Venue, and start their march towards Bear.
PeteH
Beginner On Rentals

Re: Killington's Got This!

Post by PeteH »

Nice post. I was getting very annoyed at far too may people on the gondola and lift yesterday who were dissing K for something they have no control over - the record breaking New England October we just had. I come to K to ski and relax, not to hear people bitch.
SnoBrdr
Whipping Post

Post by SnoBrdr »

PeteH wrote:Nice post. I was getting very annoyed at far too may people on the gondola and lift yesterday who were dissing K for something they have no control over - the record breaking New England October we just had. I come to K to ski and relax, not to hear people bitch.
Then you won't like it here but welcome aboard.
Beware of fools & trolls here, they lurk everywhere.
brownman
Postinator

Post by brownman »

Nice assessment. :like
Has anyone confirmed the count at 140 ?
I believe that tops the old count.

.. and yeah, those gondola and lift people tend to bitch about everything :barebutt:

:Toast
Forever .. Goat Path
DrJeff
Poster Child Poster

Post by DrJeff »

Hats off the the AMAZING job the best in the business K snowmakers have done on Superstar! The WORLD will see the results 2 weeks from today!!
Proud Ski Racer Parent x2!
biged
Slalom Racer

Post by biged »

Anyone test superstar? If you do, please post a report.
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

biged wrote:Anyone test superstar? If you do, please post a report.
probably wouldn't be much fun. negative visibility and it's probably cement. plus the trail is crawling with snowmakers and i know that sh*t pisses them off. i'm sure they'd hang anyone by the ballz if caught skiing it.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
freeski
Post Office

Post by freeski »

http://www.killington.com/site/mountain ... rstar.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The north star, the unmoved mover, Superstar glacier is piling up... :shock:
I Belong A Long Way From Here.
SkiDork
Site Admin

Post by SkiDork »

I got this!

Wait Till Next Year!!! Image

Iceman 10/11 Season

ImageImageImage
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

biged wrote:Anyone test superstar? If you do, please post a report.
Pretty sure those prominent yellow signs in Rogman's photos don't say "Ski it if you can"
Big Bob
Postinator

Post by Big Bob »

The next time you get to ski on that snow it will be June 1. 2018!
2 hours and 10-minute drive to K
2023/2024 Ski Days: 33 days for the season
Killington: 12/14, 1/4, 1/9, 1/11, 1/17, 1/23, 1/31, 2/5, 2/20, 2/26, 3/4, 3/20, 3/25, 4/2, 4/5
Loon: 11/29, 12/8, 12/21, 1/8, 1/19, 1/22,1/30, 2/7, 2/15, 3/1, 3/8, 3/22, 4/14
Sunday River: 3/12
Sugarloaf: 3/13, 3/14
Cannon:1/15, 2/22
DES
Slalom Racer

Post by DES »

Nice, I hope you are correct! I can't remember if it was during that "warm stretch" last February, or later spring, but those first few days skiing Superstar once it melted down to the World Cup base were very interesting (like no other surface I had ever skied on, and the stuff you kicked up was strange)...it was almost like skiing on little wet ball bearings. Fast and Fun.
icedtea
Guru Poster

Post by icedtea »

Beautiful day.
"To have the truth in your possession you can be found guilty, sentenced to death."
Peter Tosh
GSKI
Powderhound

Post by GSKI »

Anyone test superstar? If you do, please post a report

Some dumb ass will ski it it is inevitable.
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

GSKI wrote:
Anyone test superstar? If you do, please post a report

Some dumb ass will ski it it is inevitable.
I heard there are machine gun nests in at least 3 towers on the way down... :D
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....