Killington and Top To Bottom Earlyish Season

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

FDSKIER
Beginner On Rentals

Re: Killington and Top To Bottom Earlyish Season

Post by FDSKIER »

I often day dream of 2 new pods.
Imagine 2 chairlifts- both about 1 mile long.
Each lift serving 2-3-4 trails max with no merges or intersections..
1 serving expert terrain that isn't groomed every Friday night..
1 serving great blue crusing terrain..

That's what Killington needs!
For early season and mid winter..
snoloco
Tree Psycho

Post by snoloco »

Zero chance of that. The best thing they can do is use some fences to separate certain trails and at the worst of the worst trail intersections, put in bridge/tunnel crossings.
Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Post by Highway Star »

FDSKIER wrote:I often day dream of 2 new pods.
Imagine 2 chairlifts- both about 1 mile long.
Each lift serving 2-3-4 trails max with no merges or intersections..
1 serving expert terrain that isn't groomed every Friday night..
1 serving great blue crusing terrain..

That's what Killington needs!
For early season and mid winter..
Maybe not for early season, but that sounds a hell of alot like the Interconnect.
"I'M YELLING BECAUSE YOU DID SOMETHING COOL!" - Humpty Dumpty

"Kzone should bill you for the bandwidth you waste writing novels to try and prove a point, but end up just looking like a deranged narcissistic fool." - Deadheadskier at madhatter

"The key is to not be lame, and know it, and not give a rat's @$$ what anybody thinks......that's real cool." - Highway Star http://goo.gl/xJxo34" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"I am one of the coolest people on the internet..." - Highway Star

"I have a tiny penis...." - C-Rex

XtremeJibber2001 - THE MAIN STREAM MEDIA HAS YOU COMPLETELY HYPNOTIZED. PLEASE WAKE UP AND LEARN HOW TO FILTER REALITY FROM BS NARRATIVES.

"Your life is only interesting when you capture the best, fakest, most curated split second version." - Team Robot regarding Instagram posters
snoloco
Tree Psycho

Post by snoloco »

I've discussed many grand plans for the interconnect but here's what I believe is the least expensive way to do it effectively.

Replace Ramshead quad with a 6-pack that extends all the way to the original summit. Widen and grade the original trails up there to make it suitable for who normally skis that section. You will need the extra elevation from the true summit of Ramshead to make it anywhere near Pico on an interconnect trail.

Cut a trail off the top of the true summit of Ramshead to as close to Pico as you can get it and install a lift to close to the summit of Pico. There's no way around needing to build this lift due to topography. Just try and do it as cheaply as possible and there's no need to put in any trails off of it since there's already more than enough terrain off all of K and Pico.

Connect the existing connector trail into Ramshead to avoid needing the Killington side lift. This would put more people on the Ramshead lift, so that's why it would need to be upgraded.

One could combine both into one resort like Vail did with Park City and The Canyons, or maintain two separate ticketing systems with RFID gates at the entrance to the interconnect trail on the Pico side so that you had to have a Killington ticket to go through.

You'd have the Ramshead Quad that was just taken out as a result of this and the most popular option around here seems to be relocate it to Snowdon. That gives you the Snowdon Quad which would be enough to add the interconnect lift and replace the oldest lift on the mountain (North Ridge) to further improve early season offerings. You'd need an extra drive and return to split the lift and those could easily be purchased from Skytrac, and are designed to be adapted onto other manufacturer's equipment.

Pico has a much more fluid trail system than Killington and having it connected could really be a great thing. Too bad Powdr isn't really interested in doing any lift investment in Killington.
icedtea
Guru Poster

Post by icedtea »

snoloco wrote:I've discussed many grand plans for the interconnect but here's what I believe is the least expensive way to do it effectively.

Replace Ramshead quad with a 6-pack that extends all the way to the original summit. Widen and grade the original trails up there to make it suitable for who normally skis that section. You will need the extra elevation from the true summit of Ramshead to make it anywhere near Pico on an interconnect trail.

Cut a trail off the top of the true summit of Ramshead to as close to Pico as you can get it and install a lift to close to the summit of Pico. There's no way around needing to build this lift due to topography. Just try and do it as cheaply as possible and there's no need to put in any trails off of it since there's already more than enough terrain off all of K and Pico.

Connect the existing connector trail into Ramshead to avoid needing the Killington side lift. This would put more people on the Ramshead lift, so that's why it would need to be upgraded.

One could combine both into one resort like Vail did with Park City and The Canyons, or maintain two separate ticketing systems with RFID gates at the entrance to the interconnect trail on the Pico side so that you had to have a Killington ticket to go through.

You'd have the Ramshead Quad that was just taken out as a result of this and the most popular option around here seems to be relocate it to Snowdon. That gives you the Snowdon Quad which would be enough to add the interconnect lift and replace the oldest lift on the mountain (North Ridge) to further improve early season offerings. You'd need an extra drive and return to split the lift and those could easily be purchased from Skytrac, and are designed to be adapted onto other manufacturer's equipment.

Pico has a much more fluid trail system than Killington and having it connected could really be a great thing. Too bad Powdr isn't really interested in doing any lift investment in Killington.
It’s not such a bad hike.
"To have the truth in your possession you can be found guilty, sentenced to death."
Peter Tosh
Guy in Shorts
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by Guy in Shorts »

Save the South Ridge and The Hersery Highway.
If my words did glow with the gold of sunshine.
alanlw9
Beginner On Rentals

Post by alanlw9 »

icedtea wrote:
snoloco wrote:I've discussed many grand plans for the interconnect but here's what I believe is the least expensive way to do it effectively.

This is something I’ve always been curious about, but haven’t been able to fully put together. It seems there is a trail that runs between the two, but this is used as a service road/septic connection? From the post above it seems you can make it from Pico to Killington but not the other way around? I remember reading it wasn’t much fun taking the trail, but kind of serves as a fun bucket list idea/learning experience for me.

Can anyone tell me more or point me in the right direction? I haven’t been lucky enough to hike it during the summer and google maps is only so helpful.
icedtea
Guru Poster

Post by icedtea »

alanlw9 wrote:
icedtea wrote:

This is something I’ve always been curious about, but haven’t been able to fully put together. It seems there is a trail that runs between the two, but this is used as a service road/septic connection? From the post above it seems you can make it from Pico to Killington but not the other way around? I remember reading it wasn’t much fun taking the trail, but kind of serves as a fun bucket list idea/learning experience for me.

Can anyone tell me more or point me in the right direction? I haven’t been lucky enough to hike it during the summer and google maps is only so helpful.
Not a bad place to explore. Trial and error!
"To have the truth in your possession you can be found guilty, sentenced to death."
Peter Tosh
alanlw9
Beginner On Rentals

Post by alanlw9 »

icedtea wrote:
alanlw9 wrote:
icedtea wrote:

I suppose they do say experience is the best teacher ! Always nice to have something to research instead of working.
icedtea
Guru Poster

Post by icedtea »

alanlw9 wrote:
icedtea wrote:
alanlw9 wrote:
icedtea wrote:

I suppose they do say experience is the best teacher ! Always nice to have something to research instead of working.
I’ve ended up down the access road a few times by the welcome to Killington sign.
Peter Tosh
Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Post by Highway Star »

alanlw9 wrote:
icedtea wrote:

Don't do it, you'll die and the bears will eat you.
"I'M YELLING BECAUSE YOU DID SOMETHING COOL!" - Humpty Dumpty

"Kzone should bill you for the bandwidth you waste writing novels to try and prove a point, but end up just looking like a deranged narcissistic fool." - Deadheadskier at madhatter

"The key is to not be lame, and know it, and not give a rat's @$$ what anybody thinks......that's real cool." - Highway Star http://goo.gl/xJxo34" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"I am one of the coolest people on the internet..." - Highway Star

"I have a tiny penis...." - C-Rex

XtremeJibber2001 - THE MAIN STREAM MEDIA HAS YOU COMPLETELY HYPNOTIZED. PLEASE WAKE UP AND LEARN HOW TO FILTER REALITY FROM BS NARRATIVES.

"Your life is only interesting when you capture the best, fakest, most curated split second version." - Team Robot regarding Instagram posters
Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Post by Stormchaser »

icedtea wrote:
alanlw9 wrote:
I’ve ended up down the access road a few times by the welcome to Killington sign.
Just don't get off track. The hike out of the Pico Pond basin is unpleasant...especially in waist deep snow. Took me 2+ hours to get out one unfortunate day last winter.
ImageImageImageImage
alanlw9
Beginner On Rentals

Post by alanlw9 »

Stormchaser wrote:
icedtea wrote:
alanlw9 wrote:
Just don't get off track. The hike out of the Pico Pond basin is unpleasant...especially in waist deep snow. Took me 2+ hours to get out one unfortunate day last winter.
That looks like a really bad place to end up. If you stay on the main trail, does it slope down towards Ramshead on the hiking path where Swirl meets Easy street?
brownman
Postinator

Post by brownman »

Pico to Killington is not worth the effort unless you sport AT gear, a weapon, sumptuous lunch and plentiful pilsners.
Even better if you can convince a fair maiden to join you. :mrgreen:

:Toast
Forever .. Goat Path
hillbangin
Wanted Poster

Post by hillbangin »

rogman wrote: 3. Think about opening Lower Eastfall down to the Canyon Quad faster. It could provide a "real" challenge early season, and give access to another lift. Is it the most efficient way to add terrain? Of course not, however the same trail roll out every season does get a little old. Maximizing efficiency shouldn't be the only objective. Skier experience should matter too.

Killington does a great job given what they've got, but they need to start thinking a bit outside the existing box; other areas are catching up.
And just light up Dipper for crying out loud - it's the last trail they light up - it only needs a day or 2 of snowmaking all year and it's good for the season.