Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

Captain Hafski
Poster Child Poster

Sunday 11/12/2017 Report

Post by Captain Hafski »

Looks like no one else started this yet so here goes:

Afternoon Report from Mount Snow !!

Disclaimer: No intention to just re-open the debate on TTB, etc. But with what is was, we decided to take a little road trip down south and it was very good. With that said, glad that the K got TTB later that day as well.

Pretty impressive what Mt. Snow was able to do. They have these new "fan guns" on most of the trails that we skied. But I noticed an electric pump (small air compressor?) on each of these which was interesting.

Regardless, they had an equivalent of about 4 TTB trails open, all with good cover and decent conditions.
- Cascade to Canyon on the main face.
- Long John on the main face (one my Dad used to take me down over 50 years ago in the afternoon after he "ripped up the mountain" in the morning while I was in ski school) !!
- One run down Carinthia, partly shared with Long John with some well spaced park features.
- Free Fall on the north face.
- There were a few other smaller options mixed in that didn't really add much to the picture.
- Two very fast high speed lifts on the main face and Carinthia. Fixed grip, but decent speed lift on north face.

Aside from having so much TTB terrain open, another bonus was the width of the trails [vs. Rime, for example].

In the parking lot, we were warned to not go to the North Face. In the end, I guess most of the folks there just couldn't ski it as it was empty [and very good to boot]. I think that most that tried it were one and done. Ungroomed snowmaking [small] whales with some bumps forming on the sides of the steeper sections. Middle of the trail was covered >5' deep average with some glaze on the whale backsides. Left side was a bit chunky but the right side was sweet with only a few small sections of thin cover to negotiate. If this trail was open at the K, it would have seen a lot more traffic. As it was, there were maybe 10 people [total, on the trail and on the lift] on it when we were lapping it.

All in all, a great road trip. Will be back to the K this Thursday.
Goes to show, you don't never know
Watch each card you play, and play it slow
Don't you let that deal go down
Don't you let that deal go down

Looks like its going down no matter what I do !!!