Killington Needs To Up Their Game

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Re: Killington Needs To Up Their Game

Post by Mister Moose »

snoloco wrote:
3. My opinion has been very clear and hasn't changed all along. Killington has had limited public skiing so far because of the World Cup. You can come up with any other excuse as to why Okemo and Mount Snow opened more terrain, but the reason is clearly and obviously the World Cup, and to say otherwise would be complete denial of the facts.
Yes, for 2 days or so capacity was diverted to Superstar to insure the race. Now the added capacity is being focused on Snowdon and the Canyon. Are you saying with certainty it's a net loss by Thursday?

So the consumer price for the race is likely less snow leading up to Thanksgiving, but not less snow after Thanksgiving. Plus the added mayhem if you're not into the race/concert.

For years Okemo had more terrain open early season Thanksgiving to mid December, that has nothing to do with the World Cup.
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

Mister Moose wrote:
snoloco wrote:
3. My opinion has been very clear and hasn't changed all along. Killington has had limited public skiing so far because of the World Cup. You can come up with any other excuse as to why Okemo and Mount Snow opened more terrain, but the reason is clearly and obviously the World Cup, and to say otherwise would be complete denial of the facts.
Yes, for 2 days or so capacity was diverted to Superstar to insure the race. Now the added capacity is being focused on Snowdon and the Canyon. Are you saying with certainty it's a net loss by Thursday?

So the consumer price for the race is likely less snow leading up to Thanksgiving, but not less snow after Thanksgiving. Plus the added mayhem if you're not into the race/concert.

For years Okemo had more terrain open early season Thanksgiving to mid December, that has nothing to do with the World Cup.
yep BFD...early season is a novelty, late season is the real deal...
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
snoloco
Tree Psycho

Post by snoloco »

Way more than 2 days. More like two weeks. Public terrain only got whatever capacity was leftover from the race up until yesterday.
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

snoloco wrote:Way more than 2 days. More like two weeks. Public terrain only got whatever capacity was leftover from the race up until yesterday.
2 weeks of calendar time. Not that many days of snowmaking time happened in those 2 weeks. We're saying the same thing about the two weeks of calendar time.
So the consumer price for the race is likely less snow leading up to Thanksgiving, but not less snow after Thanksgiving
What I'm saying is that with the added compressors the catch up rate will be quick an then exceed the old roll out rate, when they turn them all on.

You're whining about less terrain in two weeks prior to Thanksgiving as a cost of putting on the race. I think we get that. Feel free to argue now about which trails and connectors they might have had by now with normal capacity and no World Cup.
Southside_Bobby
Slalom Racer

Post by Southside_Bobby »

snoloco wrote: but the reason is clearly and obviously the World Cup, and to say otherwise would be complete denial of the facts.
Ugh, snoloco. I'm beginning to long for the days of car idling discussions.

Some folks here are willing to concede to you that there has been ANY loss of early season terrain because of the WC. I won't even give you that.

"What if" comparisons, based on your own suppositions, are not facts. If you want to argue that the presence of the WC has caused K to have less terrain open by Thanksgiving weekend than they USUALLY DO, try naming some trails that are usually open that aren't now.

Name one.

You have stated that Superstar and Skyelark would DEFINITELY be open to the public if not for the WC. That is historically false.
You have stated that Ramshead almost ALWAYS opens before Lower East Fall. That is historically false. It almost never does.
You were stating that they weren't making any effort to get TTB at the exact time they were going TTB. In fact, you stated that they wouldn't get TTB till THIS WEEK because of the WC. It was a little surprising when, after being so way off on that prediction, you resumed your "no doubt about it" routine.

You make the supposition that, if not for the additional resources of the WC being used for the WC, K would have used those resources in a massive early season terrain war with Mt. Snow. That is not fact. That is just your opinion.

The fact is that November ski demand generally doesn't justify investing in a ton of terrain being open. Thanksgiving weekend is EARLY SEASON. In an average year, it is in no way as crowded as your average midwinter weekend.

Do you usually actually ski this weekend? You seem highly unaware of what is commonly open. Perhaps you think Bear would be open by now too if not for the WC.

What is usually open by now in an average year? Rolled out in approximate order:

Rime, Reason Park
Upper East Fall
Upper DD
Upper GN (no walk down)
Lower Ridge
Push down GN to K1

Upper Bunny/Killink - poma opens
Lower East Fall - maybe runout opens, maybe they run canyon quad
Snowdon lift opens
Beginner Carpets
Bottom of GN to Rams
Caper opens sometimes by Turkey Day. Snowshed almost never.

Exactly which of these isn't open this year?

"They would be using extra resources to massively open terrain in November if not for the presence of extra resources being used for the WC". Not only an illogical supposition. It is in complete denial of the facts.
2014 - "A South Ridge trail is Pipe Dream. A South Ridge lift shouldn't be."
2019 - "A South Ridge trail is Pipe Dream. A South Ridge lift (operating midweek) shouldn't be."
2023 - Killington announces that the South Ridge lift will run five days a week.
2024 - Killington lied.
RENO
Whipping Post

Post by RENO »

I just wanna know if snowmaking was lacking on Devil's Fiddle because of the WC! :twisted:
Mallet
Beginner On Rentals

Post by Mallet »

The skiing once again was great to day! As it has been since they opened.
ANGUS
Slalom Racer

Post by ANGUS »

snoloco wrote:1. The last two years proved that you can never have too much snowmaking.

2. There are always early season r*in events. Ski resorts have to plan for it. I'm sure Mount Snow has, just like Killington. And should there be one, they will be able to quickly resurface all their open terrain.

Wow! Snow was great today! Must s@ck to sit behind a keyboard and b*tch about it all day. You should try clicking in sometime instead of logging in. :barebutt: :beat
Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Post by Stormchaser »

ANGUS wrote:
snoloco wrote:1. The last two years proved that you can never have too much snowmaking.

2. There are always early season r*in events. Ski resorts have to plan for it. I'm sure Mount Snow has, just like Killington. And should there be one, they will be able to quickly resurface all their open terrain.

Wow! Snow was great today! Must s@ck to sit behind a keyboard and b*tch about it all day. You should try clicking in sometime instead of logging in. :barebutt: :beat

snoloco=Sergio=hiwaystar? same tune...
ImageImageImageImage
snoloco
Tree Psycho

Post by snoloco »

Normally speaking all mountains try to open terrain as quickly as temps allow. You don't know if the weather will go belly up in 2 weeks and have to take the opportunities when you have them.

If there was no World Cup they would've for sure opened top to bottom on the 11th, Snowdon on the 18th or maybe earlier, and then tried to open either Skyelark, LEF, or Caper for Thanksgiving. Even in the dreadful start of 15-16 they got all of those things open except LEF and Caper so there's no doubt in my mind both of those if not more could've been opened this year.

Just admit it. They willfully gave up their entire focus on November terrain availability to hold the World Cup. Might be a tradeoff that's worth it for some, but it isn't in my opinion.
ANGUS
Slalom Racer

Post by ANGUS »

snoloco wrote:Normally speaking all mountains try to open terrain as quickly as temps allow. You don't know if the weather will go belly up in 2 weeks and have to take the opportunities when you have them.

If there was no World Cup they would've for sure opened top to bottom on the 11th, Snowdon on the 18th or maybe earlier, and then tried to open either Skyelark, LEF, or Caper for Thanksgiving. Even in the dreadful start of 15-16 they got all of those things open except LEF and Caper so there's no doubt in my mind both of those if not more could've been opened this year.

Just admit it. They willfully gave up their entire focus on November terrain availability to hold the World Cup. Might be a tradeoff that's worth it for some, but it isn't in my opinion.
OK Highway turd Jr. . PM me a picture of your pass. Good luck you don't have one. Snow makers and groomers work hard. Stop being disrespectful to them. If you do have one lets meet up at the wobbly some night. We can go out back and you can dis on some hard working people. Want to see what happens?
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

snoloco wrote:Normally speaking all mountains try to open terrain as quickly as temps allow. You don't know if the weather will go belly up in 2 weeks and have to take the opportunities when you have them.

you still flogging this horse?!? it was a good trade-off. yes they sacrificed some early terrain (which in 2 weeks after the wc they'll be lapping the competition) and in return they're gonna have 20,000 people here this weekend. believe both days the competition is being broadcast. that's millions of eyeballs. puts k on the map as a major player and a place whose snowmaking firepower is so awesome that they can pull off an event of this magnitude this early in the season. and after this weekend we get our mtn back. so what did we miss - maybe 2 or 3 trails during crap season. big deal. damn, i'm starting to sound like skippy snow ...
spoiled South American skiin' whore
skixc2
Black Carver

Post by skixc2 »

Today's conditions report; there's your God damned Caper.
Raise 'Em Jay
snoloco
Tree Psycho

Post by snoloco »

Pleasantly surprised. That will help tremendously with getting people to the World Cup venue who are skiing if it opens in time.
freeski
Post Office

Post by freeski »

Don't take this the wrong way butt many of you are tools. Cannon would gladly give up a little early season terrain for a World Cup Race. What are you really giving up one one millionith of your season. It's Killington for goodness sake.

If anyone sees Humpty Dumpty tomorrow please get a snapshot.

Regards

Freeski
I Belong A Long Way From Here.