Killington Needs To Up Their Game

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

snoloco
Tree Psycho

Re: Killington Needs To Up Their Game

Post by snoloco »

Any idea why they're blowing Lower East Fall and not Caper to provide access to the skiing without taking a bus during the World Cup?
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

snoloco wrote:Any idea why they're blowing Lower East Fall and not Caper to provide access to the skiing without taking a bus during the World Cup?
Snowmakers like single digits though, and we like snowmakers. Last night they worked hard on Chute, Killink, Upper Bunny Buster, and Lower East Fall. They're goal is to have us lapping Snowdon on the Snowdon Quad and Snowdon Poma by midweek, and lapping East Fall on the Canyon Quad by the weekend. Its an ambitious goal, but we think they're good for it.
canyon quad, snowdon quad, NRT and k-1 sounds like a decent rollout for the big weekend...superstar and skylark next week some time...I hear ya on the bus thing though...
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
rogman
Postinator

Post by rogman »

Hard to follow their logic sometimes. Blowing Caper gets them the Ramshead lift for "once a day" use only. No one is going to lap it. Lower East Fall/Cascade run out gives them the Canyon Quad all day. My guess is they are in full "get as many lifts open as they can" mode, because advance bookings tells them they are going to be mobbed Thanksgiving weekend. The decision may also have something to do with getting their butt kicked in open terrain compared to other resorts, but I tend to doubt that.

Caper is a pretty long trail, may take more effort to get open than East Fall, which already has a ton of blow over from snow making on North Ridge. I assume once they get Snowdon 4, Poma, and Canyon Quad on line, they'll turn their attention to Caper. At this point, I think they're pretty much damned if they do/damned if they don't. I'm shocked that they are deviating from their usual game plan, but I like it. Meanwhile, Mount Snow is boasting they'll have 200+ acres by this weekend over on AZ. 10 years ago, Killington was bragging about their advantage early season in open terrain. Not anymore.
snoloco
Tree Psycho

Post by snoloco »

They got totally destroyed by Mount Snow for terrain availability due to the World Cup. Without that, I think they would've definitely gotten stuff open off K1/North Ridge, Canyon, Snowdon, Superstar, and Ramshead.

They open Ramshead before Canyon almost always. I think they still are limited by having to blow SkyeLark for the World Cup and can't blow on something the length of Caper. They have 3 days of snowmaking temps this week and they could easily open that otherwise. And the Snowdon Quad would've definitely been open this past weekend if it was a non-WC year.
Southside_Bobby
Slalom Racer

Post by Southside_Bobby »

From WC guide:

"SKIING AND SNOWBOARDING

Killington opened for skiing and snowboarding on November 8, and while the exact amount of open terrain is difficult to predict at this time, multiple more difficult (blue square) and most difficult (black diamond) rated trails, the Reason Terrain Park and learning terrain for first-timers and small children serviced by a magic carpet will be open. We do not expect to have any other easier terrain (green circle) available for Thanksgiving weekend at this time."

No Caper.

For skiing, certainly East Fall/Canyon Quad is far preferable to Caper (If I must choose between the two). But I must admit I am disappointed.

Last year, I didn't ski on WC day, but was able to get the K1 parking pass. This year I am skiing (Sunday), but since I wasn't able to get the pass (during the five seconds it was available, and getting booted offline twice), I was hoping to park in the Vale lot and ski on/ski off. I have been hoping Caper would be online by Sunday, but I guess not.

Hoping shuttle busing with all my gear won't be too much of a drag.
2014 - "A South Ridge trail is Pipe Dream. A South Ridge lift shouldn't be."
2019 - "A South Ridge trail is Pipe Dream. A South Ridge lift (operating midweek) shouldn't be."
2023 - Killington announces that the South Ridge lift will run five days a week.
2024 - Killington lied.
Southside_Bobby
Slalom Racer

snoloco wrote:They got totally destroyed by Mount Snow for terrain availability due to the World Cup. Without that, I think they would've definitely gotten stuff open off K1/North Ridge, Canyon, Snowdon, Superstar, and Ramshead.

They open Ramshead before Canyon almost always. I think they still are limited by having to blow SkyeLark for the World Cup and can't blow on something the length of Caper. They have 3 days of snowmaking temps this week and they could easily open that otherwise. And the Snowdon Quad would've definitely been open this past weekend if it was a non-WC year.
Mount Snow dominated terrain this month because they just invested a ton in snowmaking infrastructure (including a new pond) and want to show it off. They have been able to take advantage of the warm October when K would have been the only thing open, and get the jump in early November.

Caper does NOT always open before LEF. Caper being open on Thanksgiving weekend was always a crapshoot on ANY AVERAGE YEAR before the WC was even a glint in K's eye.

You keep trying to have your argument both ways. On one hand you keep saying all this stuff would be open if it weren't for the WC being here (overall that isn't true), and at the same time saying they should open stuff like Ramshead BECAUSE the WC is here.

I do wish they would do Caper, so that skiers can ski the mountain without having to shuttle up to K1.

On a non WC year, it wouldn't matter. I would just park at K1.
2019 - "A South Ridge trail is Pipe Dream. A South Ridge lift (operating midweek) shouldn't be."
2023 - Killington announces that the South Ridge lift will run five days a week.
2024 - Killington lied.
MrsG
Whipping Post

Post by MrsG »

They were making snow on the Vale trail today . . . shuttling from the Vale lot is a breeze!!
Southside_Bobby
Slalom Racer

MrsG wrote:They were making snow on the Vale trail today . . . shuttling from the Vale lot is a breeze!!
I'm really glad to hear that, Mrs. G. Hoping that will be the case, especially since I plan to be there early enough for opening bell.
2024 - Killington lied.
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

snoloco wrote:They got totally destroyed by Mount Snow for terrain availability due to the World Cup. Without that, I think they would've definitely gotten stuff open off K1/North Ridge, Canyon, Snowdon, Superstar, and Ramshead.

they are done making snow on the WC trails. all resources are now dedicated to the rest of the mtn. i heard east fall was pretty much ready to go in addition to the upper snowdon trails. and who knows maybe they'll surprise us with your beloved caper. by the following weekend supe & skyelark will be added to the mix and we'll be all caught up.

mt snow "destroyed" us for what 2-3 weekends? will they have 15-20,000 this weekend. in any case, consider k's game upped.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

skiadikt wrote:

they are done making snow on the WC trails. all resources are now dedicated to the rest of the mtn. i heard east fall was pretty much ready to go in addition to the upper snowdon trails. and who knows maybe they'll surprise us with your beloved caper. by the following weekend supe & skyelark will be added to the mix and we'll be all caught up.

mt snow "destroyed" us for what 2-3 weekends? will they have 15-20,000 this weekend. in any case, consider k's game upped.
:mrgreen:
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
snoloco
Tree Psycho

Post by snoloco »

In terms of skiing terrain I'd so much prefer Lower East Fall over Caper. However, with the World Cup it would be the other way around because trying to bus 15000 people to an event never really works well. Especially when everyone tries to leave at the same time it's a disaster. Having Lower GN open at the very least would help because the rush leaving is worse while people tend to come in over a longer time period.

And Mount Snow will be expanding terrain this fast every year weather permitting. So in all World Cup years they will have more open than Killington until after the event.
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

snoloco wrote:Any idea why they're blowing Lower East Fall and not Caper to provide access to the skiing without taking a bus during the World Cup?
They were making snow on both Rams Head and Snowshed yesterday.
Big Bob
Postinator

Post by Big Bob »

Mnt Sno maybe showcasing their new found muscle, but will the early season terrain be too much for the amount of customers that show up with their credit cards and it turns out to be a wasted investment? They are further south and at lower elevation, one warm r*in storm may wash it back into their new pond!
2 hours and 10-minute drive to K
2023/2024 Ski Days: 33 days for the season
Killington: 12/14, 1/4, 1/9, 1/11, 1/17, 1/23, 1/31, 2/5, 2/20, 2/26, 3/4, 3/20, 3/25, 4/2, 4/5
Loon: 11/29, 12/8, 12/21, 1/8, 1/19, 1/22,1/30, 2/7, 2/15, 3/1, 3/8, 3/22, 4/14
Sunday River: 3/12
Sugarloaf: 3/13, 3/14
Cannon:1/15, 2/22
snoloco
Tree Psycho

Post by snoloco »

1. The last two years proved that you can never have too much snowmaking.

2. There are always early season r*in events. Ski resorts have to plan for it. I'm sure Mount Snow has, just like Killington. And should there be one, they will be able to quickly resurface all their open terrain.

3. My opinion has been very clear and hasn't changed all along. Killington has had limited public skiing so far because of the World Cup. You can come up with any other excuse as to why Okemo and Mount Snow opened more terrain, but the reason is clearly and obviously the World Cup, and to say otherwise would be complete denial of the facts.
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

snoloco wrote:1. The last two years proved that you can never have too much snowmaking.

2. There are always early season r*in events. Ski resorts have to plan for it. I'm sure Mount Snow has, just like Killington. And should there be one, they will be able to quickly resurface all their open terrain.

3. My opinion has been very clear and hasn't changed all along. Killington has had limited public skiing so far because of the World Cup. You can come up with any other excuse as to why Okemo and Mount Snow opened more terrain, but the reason is clearly and obviously the World Cup, and to say otherwise would be complete denial of the facts.
sounds like you should go there....
mach es sehr schnell