Monday 20 Nov Killington Conditions

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

Guy in Shorts
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Monday 20 Nov Killington Conditions

Post by Guy in Shorts »

World Cup cold has arrived accompanied with some stiff wind. Buttery soft snow from yesterday is a faded memory. Snow guns are filling in Lower East Fall all the way down to the Canyon Quad. Snowdon mountain is ablaze creating a silky white surface over the hard base. Large crew gathered to braid the Snowdon Triple rope. First row of fencing going up on Superstar as World Cup preps are ramping up.

Grade B-

Quote of the Day - Has anyone found the Master Braider?
Attachments
Mousetrap (1).jpg
Mousetrap (1).jpg (57.52 KiB) Viewed 558 times
Cable Braiding.jpg
Cable Braiding.jpg (77.81 KiB) Viewed 558 times
Race Fencing.jpg
Race Fencing.jpg (56.93 KiB) Viewed 558 times
If my words did glow with the gold of sunshine.
Captain Hafski
Postaholic

Re: Monday 20 Nov Killington Conditions

Post by Captain Hafski »

Afternoon Report:

As GIS reported, pretty firm. WIth that said, not as bad as it could have been. But, pretty boring.

DD headwall closed for some reason (icy?). Part of the reason I plea with Killington every year to wait for a month to blow on it because every year it gets a couple of soakers and is an ungroomed ice luge the rest of the year.

ROTD: Middle Chute, with the guns on. Mouse Trap bumps were pretty firm, but skiable.

I need to expand on what GIS reported re: snow making. Pretty amazing display.

- Lower East Fall including beyond the Canyon Quad all the way to the bottom.
- Chute TTB.
- Upper Bunny to the Poma.
- Middle GN, where I reported it was getting thin the other day.
- Perimeter trail around the bay 1 lot to the Snowdon quad.
- Vale trail down to Ramshead.
- Both magic carpet areas either side of the road.
- Might have still been blowing on Skye Lark.

My bet is that they WILL blow on Caper before the weekend.
Goes to show, you don't never know
Watch each card you play, and play it slow
Don't you let that deal go down
Don't you let that deal go down

Looks like its going down no matter what I do !!!
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

Captain Hafski wrote:Afternoon Report:

As GIS reported, pretty firm. WIth that said, not as bad as it could have been. But, pretty boring.

DD headwall closed for some reason (icy?). Part of the reason I plea with Killington every year to wait for a month to blow on it because every year it gets a couple of soakers and is an ungroomed ice luge the rest of the year.

ROTD: Middle Chute, with the guns on. Mouse Trap bumps were pretty firm, but skiable.

I need to expand on what GIS reported re: snow making. Pretty amazing display.

- Lower East Fall including beyond the Canyon Quad all the way to the bottom.
- Chute TTB.
- Upper Bunny to the Poma.
- Middle GN, where I reported it was getting thin the other day.
- Perimeter trail around the bay 1 lot to the Snowdon quad.
- Vale trail down to Ramshead.
- Both magic carpet areas either side of the road.
- Might have still been blowing on Skye Lark.

My bet is that they WILL blow on Caper before the weekend.
:like
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

Captain Hafski wrote: DD headwall closed for some reason (icy?). Part of the reason I plea with Killington every year to wait for a month to blow on it because every year it gets a couple of soakers and is an ungroomed ice luge the rest of the year.
Worth repeating.
da Pimp
Double Diamond Skidder

Post by da Pimp »

If they wait until perhaps mid December, it will probably get a r*in or two on it anyways as time goes by. Or just a damp misty day where the moisture sits on the top surface then freezes.

Most go down that headwall in a fearful side slip that compacts and burnishes the surface. Partly because of the double fall line, mostly because of fear taking over. The skier's right Cascade headwall usually stays nice, just watch for the frozen igneous cow pies lurking under thin cover.

I say they should blow it as soon as practical, top it off midweek at least twice a month so it sets up hard enough to survive the weekend. Then let natural do its thing. although that gets scraped off pretty fast.

How about they cut a new path, on the skiers left of existing DD headwall, so that you ski right down the fall line to blend in to the bottom where it meets high traverse. Access would be by sliding by the start of the Stairway to Heaven on the right, then turn 90 deg and go down the fall line. Think of it as something like Catwalk which is farther over to the skier's left.