5.7 Million Capital Expenditures for 2018

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Re: 5.7 Million Capital Expenditures for 2018

Post by Highway Star »

Dude, I had a 8" inverted fork in 2000. It worked OK, but was very heavy. There were plenty of other people rolling Monsters, WB, Avalanche or Shivers back in the day, they were extremely common if you were racing DH.

Here's a 2003 national level race at Mount Snow. You're telling me that you'd take a the average endure/trail bike down those trails at that speed? You don't think they would be much faster than the average enduro/trail bike at Killington?

"I'M YELLING BECAUSE YOU DID SOMETHING COOL!" - Humpty Dumpty

"Kzone should bill you for the bandwidth you waste writing novels to try and prove a point, but end up just looking like a deranged narcissistic fool." - Deadheadskier at madhatter

"The key is to not be lame, and know it, and not give a rat's @$$ what anybody thinks......that's real cool." - Highway Star http://goo.gl/xJxo34" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"I am one of the coolest people on the internet..." - Highway Star

"I have a tiny penis...." - C-Rex

XtremeJibber2001 - THE MAIN STREAM MEDIA HAS YOU COMPLETELY HYPNOTIZED. PLEASE WAKE UP AND LEARN HOW TO FILTER REALITY FROM BS NARRATIVES.

"Your life is only interesting when you capture the best, fakest, most curated split second version." - Team Robot regarding Instagram posters
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

Highway Star wrote:Dude, I had a 8" inverted fork in 2000. It worked OK, but was very heavy. There were plenty of other people rolling Monsters, WB, Avalanche or Shivers back in the day, they were extremely common if you were racing DH.

Here's a 2003 national level race at Mount Snow. You're telling me that you'd take a the average endure/trail bike down those trails at that speed? You don't think they would be much faster than the average enduro/trail bike at Killington?I definitely said I wouldn't want to ride either of em on a DH course...

we weren't racing DH we were riding trail...I had a chromoly fork in 2000...and I rode it at killington too...
Enduro bikes aren't going to hold up to the abuse of full on DH or huge drops but virtually all of K's bike clientele isn't doing that kind of stuff...
agreed the "average" enduro bike is less bike in a full on DH race...

the "yard sale" at mt snow was hard to walk down as a spectator, without a bike...
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
Kpdemello
Tree Psycho

Post by Kpdemello »

HS man you keep moving the goal posts.
Highway Star wrote:Don't believe the "Bikes are better now! They make it safe! Trust us!!!" meme. A good, well set up DH race bike from 2002 is better on DH trails than the average 5" trail bike or 6" enduro bike.
Okay, a good, well set up race DH bike is better than an average enduro. Might be true, but that doesn't mean that trail bikes aren't better and safer now.
Highway Star wrote:And If you believe a modern enduro/trail bike is ANYWHERE near comparable to a decent downhill bike from the past 15 years, you probably have NEVER ridden a downhill bike.
Oh just a decent downhill bike? I thought it had to be a well set up race DH bike. In that case you're definitely wrong.
Highway Star wrote:Think more along the lines of a 2002 Santa Cruz V10 (destroked with a 8.5" shock and offset bushings), Shiver, XM721 wheels, soft tires, spec'd out and set up properly.
Um, a Santa Cruz V10 with custom set up? That was pretty high end for its time, certainly beyond a "decent" DH bike. That said, I think that bike would be pretty comparable performance-wise to an average 2017 enduro bike like a a Specialized Enduro, Trek Slash, or Giant Reign.
Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Post by Highway Star »

Kpdemello wrote:HS man you keep moving the goal posts.
Highway Star wrote:Don't believe the "Bikes are better now! They make it safe! Trust us!!!" meme. A good, well set up DH race bike from 2002 is better on DH trails than the average 5" trail bike or 6" enduro bike.
Okay, a good, well set up race DH bike is better than an average enduro. Might be true, but that doesn't mean that trail bikes aren't better and safer now.
Highway Star wrote:And If you believe a modern enduro/trail bike is ANYWHERE near comparable to a decent downhill bike from the past 15 years, you probably have NEVER ridden a downhill bike.
Oh just a decent downhill bike? I thought it had to be a well set up race DH bike. In that case you're definitely wrong.
Highway Star wrote:Think more along the lines of a 2002 Santa Cruz V10 (destroked with a 8.5" shock and offset bushings), Shiver, XM721 wheels, soft tires, spec'd out and set up properly.
Um, a Santa Cruz V10 with custom set up? That was pretty high end for its time, certainly beyond a "decent" DH bike. That said, I think that bike would be pretty comparable performance-wise to an average 2017 enduro bike like a a Specialized Enduro, Trek Slash, or Giant Reign.
Clearly you've never ridden a DH bike, AND your reading comprehension skills blow.

"...decent downhill bike from the past 15 years..." Yes, that means DECENT DH bikes BY TODAY'S standards, MADE in the past 15 years. YES, ONLY TOP END DOWNHILL BIKES FROM 2002 (WHICH YES, PLENTY OF PEOPLE INCLUDING MYSELF OWNED IN 2002), WOULD BARELY BE CONSIDERED "DECENT" TODAY. THE AVERAGE DH FROM 2010 WOULD BE CONSIDERED "DECENT" TODAY. AND YES, THEY BLOW AWAY A MODERN ENDURO BIKE, SPECIFICALLY THE ONES YOU LISTED.

SO, YOU'RE SAYING THE AVERAGE, SHITTY BIKE YOU OWN TODAY IS BETTER THAN THE AVERAGE SHITTY BIKE YOU OWNED IN 2002. HOW INSIGHTFUL. :roll:

"Kzone should bill you for the bandwidth you waste writing novels to try and prove a point, but end up just looking like a deranged narcissistic fool." - Deadheadskier at madhatter

"The key is to not be lame, and know it, and not give a rat's @$$ what anybody thinks......that's real cool." - Highway Star http://goo.gl/xJxo34" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

XtremeJibber2001 - THE MAIN STREAM MEDIA HAS YOU COMPLETELY HYPNOTIZED. PLEASE WAKE UP AND LEARN HOW TO FILTER REALITY FROM BS NARRATIVES.

"Your life is only interesting when you capture the best, fakest, most curated split second version." - Team Robot regarding Instagram posters
Kpdemello
Tree Psycho

Post by Kpdemello »

Highway Star wrote: "...decent downhill bike from the past 15 years..." Yes, you f*** moron, that means DECENT DH bikes BY TODAY'S standards, MADE in the past 15 years. YES, ONLY TOP END DOWNHILL BIKES FROM 2002 (WHICH YES, PLENTY OF PEOPLE INCLUDING MYSELF OWNED IN 2002), WOULD BARELY BE CONSIDERED "DECENT" TODAY. THE AVERAGE DH FROM 2010 WOULD BE CONSIDERD "DECENT" TODAY.
Um.. okay.. so a decent DH bike, but not decent in 2002, decent by today's standards? Or wait, no, average in 2010? Um, okay... sounds kinda like you're moving the goal posts again.
Highway Star wrote: SO, YOU'RE SAYING THE AVERAGE, SHITTY BIKE YOU OWN TODAY IS BETTER THAN THE AVERAGE SHITTY BIKE YOU OWNED IN 2002. HOW INSIGHTFUL. MORON.
Actually, this is what I said:
Kpdemello wrote:Um, a Santa Cruz V10 with custom set up? That was pretty high end for its time, certainly beyond a "decent" DH bike. That said, I think that bike would be pretty comparable performance-wise to an average 2017 enduro bike like a a Specialized Enduro, Trek Slash, or Giant Reign.
Which is right up there, just one post above. So yeah.... reading comprehension...

BTW, Why you so mad, bro?
Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Post by Highway Star »

Kpdemello wrote:
Highway Star wrote: "...decent downhill bike from the past 15 years..." Yes, you f*** moron, that means DECENT DH bikes BY TODAY'S standards, MADE in the past 15 years. YES, ONLY TOP END DOWNHILL BIKES FROM 2002 (WHICH YES, PLENTY OF PEOPLE INCLUDING MYSELF OWNED IN 2002), WOULD BARELY BE CONSIDERED "DECENT" TODAY. THE AVERAGE DH FROM 2010 WOULD BE CONSIDERD "DECENT" TODAY.
Um.. okay.. so a decent DH bike, but not decent in 2002, decent by today's standards? Or wait, no, average in 2010? Um, okay... sounds kinda like you're moving the goal posts again.
Highway Star wrote: SO, YOU'RE SAYING THE AVERAGE, SHITTY BIKE YOU OWN TODAY IS BETTER THAN THE AVERAGE SHITTY BIKE YOU OWNED IN 2002. HOW INSIGHTFUL. MORON.
Actually, this is what I said:
Kpdemello wrote:Um, a Santa Cruz V10 with custom set up? That was pretty high end for its time, certainly beyond a "decent" DH bike. That said, I think that bike would be pretty comparable performance-wise to an average 2017 enduro bike like a a Specialized Enduro, Trek Slash, or Giant Reign.
Which is right up there, just one post above. So yeah.... reading comprehension...

BTW, Why you so mad, bro?
You've never ridden a downhill bike or a high end enduro bike, and you don't know what you're talking about.

Kpdemello
Tree Psycho

Post by Kpdemello »

Highway Star wrote:You've never ridden a downhill bike or a high end enduro bike, and you don't know what you're talking about.
Sweet come back! Except I currently own both! And my DH bike is from 2007! And have ridden both at Killington on actual DH trails!
Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Post by Highway Star »

Kpdemello wrote:
Highway Star wrote:You've never ridden a downhill bike or a high end enduro bike, and you don't know what you're talking about.
Sweet come back! Except I currently own both! And my DH bike is from 2007! And have ridden both at Killington on actual DH trails!

Kpdemello
Tree Psycho

Post by Kpdemello »

Oh no. That shatters me as a person.
Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Post by Highway Star »

Kpdemello wrote:And my DH bike is from 2007!!
I found this picture of your bike!

Kpdemello
Tree Psycho

Post by Kpdemello »

That's actually a pretty sweet Specialized Demo, but I don't really care for the color scheme.
Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Post by Highway Star »

Kpdemello wrote:That's actually a pretty sweet Specialized Demo, but I don't really care for the color scheme.
I really think it suits you.

Kpdemello
Tree Psycho

Post by Kpdemello »

Highway Star wrote:I really think it suits you.
You are too kind.
Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Post by Highway Star »

FYI..............

madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

Highway Star wrote:FYI..............

ok so outside of the fact that it doesn't have 2000 era rubber, it's 10lbs heavier, it wasn't uncommon to replace the frame 2-3 times per season, he hoped it would last the run so he could actually compare it and in fact at the end of the run he had a broken swingarm....yep they're equal...

he didn't mention the brakes so we'll pretend they are equal...
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....