Lift Report KMS-KSC 9-11

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

biged
Slalom Racer

Lift Report KMS-KSC 9-11

Post by biged »

Just noticed on the lift report that Killington is showing KMS-KSC 9-11 in the notes. Don't think I have seen this before. Kudos to the person who thought of this showing when the trails will be closed for the kids to train.
da Pimp
Double Diamond Skidder

Re: Lift Report KMS-KSC 9-11

Post by da Pimp »

I have seen that designation in the past, but they really need to list Highline the same way on the weekends when the general public cannot get on it until perhaps 2 or 3pm. Big F'n deal.

They know well in advance when Highline will be closed, just tell the public at least on the website like they did today for Skyelark. Perhaps getting negative public feedback makes them try to hide all those weekend closures.
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

da Pimp wrote:I have seen that designation in the past, but they really need to list Highline the same way on the weekends when the general public cannot get on it until perhaps 2 or 3pm. Big F'n deal.

They know well in advance when Highline will be closed, just tell the public at least on the website like they did today for Skyelark. Perhaps getting negative public feedback makes them try to hide all those weekend closures.
Put a sign right on the trail head (and the website), "Opens at 2pm" Who's going to keep checking, you just end up missing whatever the unannounced opening time is. Sure it's slightly more of a hassle for KMS to manage, but plan-able usage times make more sense for the community as a whole.
Guy in Shorts
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by Guy in Shorts »

biged wrote:Just noticed on the lift report that Killington is showing KMS-KSC 9-11 in the notes. Don't think I have seen this before. Kudos to the person who thought of this showing when the trails will be closed for the kids to train.
This is nothing new as they have been listing the KMS training times on the lift and trail report for quite some time now. It just happens to be the first time this season that they have listed a trail as closed for training. Paying attention to published info like this always gives you an advantage over the masses. The spoils go to those in the know.
If my words did glow with the gold of sunshine.
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

Guy in Shorts wrote:
biged wrote:Just noticed on the lift report that Killington is showing KMS-KSC 9-11 in the notes...
This is nothing new as they have been listing the KMS training times on the lift and trail report for quite some time now... Paying attention to published info like this always gives you an advantage over the masses.
.... but this information is only useful if it's accurate. Many days it opens substantially later or not at all.
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

Mister Moose wrote:
Guy in Shorts wrote:
biged wrote:Just noticed on the lift report that Killington is showing KMS-KSC 9-11 in the notes...
This is nothing new as they have been listing the KMS training times on the lift and trail report for quite some time now... Paying attention to published info like this always gives you an advantage over the masses.
.... but this information is only useful if it's accurate. Many days it opens substantially later or not at all.
meh, ya ski by, it's open ya ski down it if you feel so inclined...if there's a rope ya most likely pass on by...it's one short trail that is very often used by various programs including the ski bum race...upper bunny and MTS are also often used...

unreported quote from this weekend...the NRT is better than the snowdon quad; it least it doesn't stop every two seconds...
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

madhatter wrote:
Mister Moose wrote:
meh, ya ski by, it's open ya ski down it if you feel so inclined...if there's a rope ya most likely pass on by...it's one short trail that is very often used by various programs including the ski bum race...upper bunny and MTS are also often used...
Sure, works if you're skiing by. If you're with a Blue skier on Cruise Control and they want to try Bunny, you go all the way there, including the KBL schlep, just to find it still closed? Happened too many times.
madhatter wrote:unreported quote from this weekend...the NRT is better than the snowdon quad; it least it doesn't stop every two seconds...
The times I was there, the number of helpless beginners was off the charts. People sliding down Mousetrap on their butts. People walking down Chute. People that can't turn or stop, and crash. People that don't know how to load a chairlift because they came over from the magic carpet with no other experience and wanted to try something else. And then they walk out too soon, too late, miss the chair, don't turn around to see it coming and fall, catch a pole, drop a ski, sit down half on the outer edge and roll off ....

It's wasn't a lift problem, it was a newbie problem.

One good thing about a pure beginner chair like the Bonanza chair at Pico is that it's a creeper with a gentle unload. You learn all the basics on riding a chairlift at creeper speed, and you don't inconvenience advanced skiers because no advanced terrain is off the short creeper lift. It's a chairlift trainer as well as a bunny hill. Is there a good spot at K and would POWDR be willing to pay for the install and operate it? Maybe re-install the Snowshed double only up to the pump house and run it at creeper speed. Keep the second full length one for the spare.

M Moose, Secy.
SSQS
Last edited by Mister Moose on Nov 28th, '17, 11:22, edited 1 time in total.
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

I don't have a problem with them closing Highline for training for the KMS programs since I am very aware of the amount of money that parents pay for their children to train every day so they can improve their skills in their discipline (freestyle or racing). These kids in the programs have dreams of competing at the world level like a Mikaela Shiffrin, Bode Miller or Donna Weinbrecht. Their parents want to help them achieve that goal and that requires a lot of training. The elite athletes in the program usually head out west for some training as well but those who are younger must train here. The KSC programs only run Friday-Sunday so those kids are only training on the weekend thus the need for Highline to train. They also get some training time during the week during holiday weeks but not as much as in the past. BTW, parents have to buy their children's season passes like everyone else and do not get anything discounted and in addition must pay a hefty fee for the programs. Stop whining as there is a lot more terrain for you to use and Highline is just one trail that is unavailable to you most of the time.

You might also see the freestyle kids around the mountain if there is no mogul course for them train on Highline. They will be searching for those moguls just like us.
Guy in Shorts
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by Guy in Shorts »

Mister Moose wrote:The times I was there, the number of helpless beginners was off the charts. People sliding down Mousetrap on their butts. People walking down Chute. People that can't turn or stop, and crash. People that don't know how to load a chairlift because they came over from the magic carpet with no other experience and wanted to try something else. And then they walk out too soon, too late, miss the chair, don't turn around to see it coming and fall, catch a pole, drop a ski, sit down half on the outer edge and roll off ....

Guy trying to push his rental skis down Chute with his poles on Friday afternoon had me chuckling as I killed time riding the Slowdon Quad.
Attachments
Newbie pushing skis.jpg
Newbie pushing skis.jpg (56.33 KiB) Viewed 1056 times
If my words did glow with the gold of sunshine.
RENO
Whipping Post

Post by RENO »

Guy in Shorts wrote:
Mister Moose wrote:The times I was there, the number of helpless beginners was off the charts. People sliding down Mousetrap on their butts. People walking down Chute. People that can't turn or stop, and crash. People that don't know how to load a chairlift because they came over from the magic carpet with no other experience and wanted to try something else. And then they walk out too soon, too late, miss the chair, don't turn around to see it coming and fall, catch a pole, drop a ski, sit down half on the outer edge and roll off ....

Guy trying to push his rental skis down Chute with his poles on Friday afternoon had me chuckling as I killed time riding the Slowdon Quad.
Lucky that ski didn't go flying and kill someone! Dumbasses! :?
brownman
Postinator

Post by brownman »

Poma was stopping a lot this morning.
KMS pod kids appeared well behaved :like
No problem getting Highline today 8)

Adjacent to access Rd at Snowshed .. excavation of a water main .. looked ugly. :sad:

:Toast
Last edited by brownman on Nov 28th, '17, 20:14, edited 1 time in total.
Forever .. Goat Path
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

Guy in Shorts wrote: Guy trying to push his rental skis down Chute with his poles on Friday afternoon had me chuckling as I killed time riding [my favorite] Quad.
This is classic. Right up there with take-my-boots-off man on Catwalk.
Newbie%20pushing%20skis.jpg
Newbie%20pushing%20skis.jpg (51.03 KiB) Viewed 882 times
spanky
Site Admin

Post by spanky »

I think this deserves linking here...

https://youtu.be/RSzL0ZH26_A" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Never argue with idiots. They will bring you down to their level, then overwhelm you with their experience.

"I have noticed that when you post, you often say more about yourself than the topic you chose to speak about." -The Suit
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

spanky wrote:I think this deserves linking here...

https://youtu.be/RSzL0ZH26_A" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"you're in a bad spot ..." :lol: :lol:
spoiled South American skiin' whore
Big Bob
Postinator

Post by Big Bob »

What don't they understand about "No beginner terrain available at this time" as said in the conditions report! go to Okemo...
2 hours and 10-minute drive to K
2023/2024 Ski Days: 33 days for the season
Killington: 12/14, 1/4, 1/9, 1/11, 1/17, 1/23, 1/31, 2/5, 2/20, 2/26, 3/4, 3/20, 3/25, 4/2, 4/5
Loon: 11/29, 12/8, 12/21, 1/8, 1/19, 1/22,1/30, 2/7, 2/15, 3/1, 3/8, 3/22, 4/14
Sunday River: 3/12
Sugarloaf: 3/13, 3/14
Cannon:1/15, 2/22