Lessons from Magic

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Lessons from Magic

Post by Mister Moose »

1. Magic's classic fixed-grip lifts are here to stay. [Large capacity] High-speed lifts have changed the landscape of skiing....This makes for more crowded slopes with more opportunity for accidents to occur, or angry incidents of people being cut off.

3. Magic will limit day ticket sales... the lift lines at both summit lifts were at about 15 minutes and growing by 11:30 am. So we decided to stop selling tickets. ... Yes, we could have stuffed more people in here and made more money, but it would also have started to change dramatically the experience we desire here.

- Geoff
SKI MAGIC LLC
Obviously Magic is not Killington. But interesting outlook, none the less.
hillbangin
Wanted Poster

Re: Lessons from Magic

Post by hillbangin »

Mister Moose wrote:
1. Magic's classic fixed-grip lifts are here to stay. [Large capacity] High-speed lifts have changed the landscape of skiing....This makes for more crowded slopes with more opportunity for accidents to occur, or angry incidents of people being cut off.

3. Magic will limit day ticket sales... the lift lines at both summit lifts were at about 15 minutes and growing by 11:30 am. So we decided to stop selling tickets. ... Yes, we could have stuffed more people in here and made more money, but it would also have started to change dramatically the experience we desire here.

- Geoff
SKI MAGIC LLC

Good strategy for them - ie Powder and Silverton - slow lifts - ski all day - lot's of vert and uncrowded runs. Snow lasts longer too.
brownman
Postinator

Post by brownman »

Not sure what the lesson is .. unless Moose is now advocating adding limited ticket sales to the S4 success formula. :P
Thankfully, Magic's overall record is not something K has ever, and likely will ever, mimic.

Yo .. Preston's Pitch Sunday afternoon will be PrimoSuperUltra. :wink:

:Toast
Forever .. Goat Path
KingsFourMan
Postaholic

Post by KingsFourMan »

In my old age, I can tolerate long lift lines and slow lifts much more than I can tolerate crowded trails that get skied off by 10:30. I haven't skied Saturdays in the east for that reason in years.
Don't fly Mr. Bluebird, I'm just walking down the road......
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

Mister Moose wrote:

- Geoff
SKI MAGIC LLC
similar to the mrg or sugarbush philosophy where both replaced old lifts with newer lifts of the same capacity - the single at mrg and the double at castlerock. all about ensuring the best snow quality. as president of the sssq you know that ...
spoiled South American skiin' whore
liv4ski
Bumper

Post by liv4ski »

KingsFourMan wrote:In my old age, I can tolerate long lift lines and slow lifts much more than I can tolerate crowded trails that get skied off by 10:30. I haven't skied Saturdays in the east for that reason in years.
That's why I ski Magic on Saturdays. No K Saturdays for me until mid March.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Captain Hafski
Poster Child Poster

Post by Captain Hafski »

All of the above is why I continue to advocate NOT putting a HSQ on Snowdon.

The folks that cry about this don't realize this is why the skiing on Snowdon is so good. Leave it be !!
Goes to show, you don't never know
Watch each card you play, and play it slow
Don't you let that deal go down
Don't you let that deal go down

Looks like its going down no matter what I do !!!
ME2VTSkier
Powderhound
Location: Aroostook County ME, Plymouth VT, Block Island RI, Clarksville OH, Ocala FL

Post by ME2VTSkier »

KingsFourMan wrote:In my old age, I can tolerate long lift lines and slow lifts much more than I can tolerate crowded trails that get skied off by 10:30. I haven't skied Saturdays in the east for that reason in years.
Exactly. Why pay for an 8hr lift ticket, it there is only 2.5hrs of product?
ME2VTSkier
Powderhound
Location: Aroostook County ME, Plymouth VT, Block Island RI, Clarksville OH, Ocala FL

Post by ME2VTSkier »

Captain Hafski wrote:All of the above is why I continue to advocate NOT putting a HSQ on Snowdon.

The folks that cry about this don't realize this is why the skiing on Snowdon is so good. Leave it be !!
Exactly why all 3 lifts should have been removed from Snowdon. All the money and effort wasted on that triple, just to still have the shitty chairs on it. All three should have been removed and one HSquad or 6pack should have gone back in. Less to operate, insure, power up, maintain, inspect e.c.t. First thing I would have done if I had the say so. Antique Frankenlifts on Snowdon, and not industry standard/current stockable parts.

Same thing is gonna come up with South/North Ridges. Put current production lifts in and Stock parts for on TWO KINDS OF LIFTS, HS or Fixed grip quads from the same manufacturer. Make it much simpler for maintaining the infrastructure.
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

ME2VTSkier wrote:
Captain Hafski wrote:All of the above is why I continue to advocate NOT putting a HSQ on Snowdon.

Exactly why all 3 lifts should have been removed from Snowdon. All the money and effort wasted on that triple, just to still have the shitty chairs on it. All three should have been removed and one HSquad or 6pack should have gone back in. Less to operate, insure, power up, maintain, inspect e.c.t. First thing I would have done if I had the say so. Antique Frankenlifts on Snowdon, and not industry standard/current stockable parts.

Same thing is gonna come up with South/North Ridges. Put current production lifts in and Stock parts for on TWO KINDS OF LIFTS, HS or Fixed grip quads from the same manufacturer. Make it much simpler for maintaining the infrastructure.

earn yer turns...
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

ME2VTSkier wrote:
Exactly why all 3 lifts should have been removed from Snowdon.
C'mon, the Poma is perfect for lapping Bunny, which is what the racers want to do. It's a great connection to the founding as it's an original 1958 lift. It's as signature as the MRG single. Pass it on by, but don't hate on it.
ME2VTSkier wrote: one HSquad or 6pack should have gone back in. Less to ..., maintain, inspect e.c.t.
You might want to re-think that statement. HSQs are way more maintenance. Also, KSC is interested in throughput, (skier laps per hour)so the mid station works well for them. They'd never spring for a HSQ terminal.

That brings us to the Snowdon Quad, and that's all I have to say about that.

Forrest Moose, Secy
SSQS
rogman
Postinator

Post by rogman »

Mister Moose wrote: That brings us to the Snowdon Quad, and that's all I have to say about that.

Forrest Moose, Secy
SSQS
That explains it: only someone with an IQ of about 70 would want to save the Snowdon Quad.
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

rogman wrote:
Mister Moose wrote: That brings us to the Snowdon Quad, and that's all I have to say about that.

Forrest Moose, Secy
SSQS
That explains it: only someone with an IQ of about 70 would want to save the Snowdon Quad.
Good skiing is as good skiing does.
spanky
Site Admin

Post by spanky »

I smell a ski-off between Messrs. Moose and Rogman.
Never argue with idiots. They will bring you down to their level, then overwhelm you with their experience.

"I have noticed that when you post, you often say more about yourself than the topic you chose to speak about." -The Suit
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

spanky wrote:I smell a ski-off between Messrs. Moose and Rogman.
:like :like
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....