Lessons from Magic

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

rogman
Postinator

Re: Lessons from Magic

Post by rogman »

spanky wrote:I smell a ski-off between Messrs. Moose and Rogman.
Don't be daft, we aren't 12, and I don't look good in antlers. I've skied many times with MM, and I'm sure we will again when our respective schedules allow, I rather doubt a ski-off will be on the agenda, but hopefully a beer afterwards.

With respect to Magic, the whole "we don't want a HSQ because it will destroy the snow" is so much salesmanship balony. They are flat-ass broke: no way they could afford a new lift. This is simply trying to spin a limitation as a virtue. With respect to the Snowdon Quad, when it suits their purpose, the SSQS is very quick to point out that there would be no additional capacity up the hill, since the chairs per second would remain unchanged. Regardless, I imagine those in the admin building (right outside the S4) would like a faster lift for their lunch hour, so they can get elsewhere on the mountain. In general, those that want to save that POS represent a vocal minority with lots of available time to ski; 100 day club members, etc.
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

rogman wrote:
Don't be daft, we aren't 12, and I don't look good in antlers. I've skied many times with MM, and I'm sure we will again when our respective schedules allow, I rather doubt a ski-off will be on the agenda, but hopefully a beer afterwards.

With respect to Magic, the whole "we don't want a HSQ because it will destroy the snow" is so much salesmanship balony. They are flat-ass broke: no way they could afford a new lift. This is simply trying to spin a limitation as a virtue. With respect to the Snowdon Quad, when it suits their purpose, the SSQS is very quick to point out that there would be no additional capacity up the hill, since the chairs per second would remain unchanged. Regardless, I imagine those in the admin building (right outside the S4) would like a faster lift for their lunch hour, so they can get elsewhere on the mountain. In general, those that want to save that POS represent a vocal minority with lots of available time to ski; 100 day club members, etc.
We already know what the Rogman MM ski off would look like:

"I'm going to OL, it was pretty good this morning"
"I'm going to Northstar"
"No way I'm going to ride that POS, I'll see you at lunch."

As for the rest of Rogman's slanted view on lifts,

Yes Magic is short on cash and is accentuating what they have. That doesn't change the fact that less traffic, natural snow trails (when there is natural snow on them) and fixed grip quads are the holy trinity of a superior surface, as well as lower cost dependable skiing. Sure, man made gets you out earlier in the season and is needed to recover from the dreaded New England inside runner. And sure, high speed is faster when there is no lift line.

BUT

Fixed grips run first thing in the morning right out of the box. It's a good idea to have a number of them to run on storms that start out ice and turn to snow. Fixed grips are cheaper to buy and maintain, and are better in low useage locations, like the upcoming SRT replacement.

On the weekend when the Snowdon Quad lift line happens, it is the same time to get up the hill as in a high speed. Wait on the chair, or wait in line, your choice. This happens on weekends, not week days. 100 club member or not, time elapsed to get up Snowdon won't change on weekends with a shiny new HSQ. There is no benefit to 100 clubbers weekdays either, as that is when there is no lift line, and a HSQ would get you to the top faster. You have it backwards, Rogman, a HSQ would only benefit the 100 clubber weekday crowd.

So to sum up, the perceived slight of the Snowdon quad keeps all the Rogmen off of Snowdon. I can live with that.
Don't Okemo Snowdon.

M Moose, Sec'y
SSQS
rogman
Postinator

Post by rogman »

Mister Moose wrote:We already know what the Rogman MM ski off would look like:
Rogman "I'm going to OL, DF, SS, Needles, Canyon, and also get a few tree runs in, everything was pretty good this morning"
Mr. Moose: "I'll go get two runs on Northstar, I'll see you at lunch. Well, if I'm even out by then..."
Fixed it for you...
hillbangin
Wanted Poster

Post by hillbangin »

I don't mind Slowdon - but there's nothing worse than taking that thing up first thing in the AM when it's 10 degrees or colder out. I'd rather wait in line.

Talking out both sides of my mouth......I always take the OL chair to Needles - and will not wait in line for the Burst chair if it's out to the end of the coral.

With an unlimited budget - I'd replace the triple and the Canyon with an HSQ - and leave Slowdon there. Move the canyon chair to south fridge.
RENO
Whipping Post

Post by RENO »

rogman wrote:

:like That POS must go!
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

we actually rode the moosecalator top to bottom w/o it stopping yesterday!!!! *

this is notable because it only happened once out of the ten times we rode it...

*it did however stop before the chair behind us could unload...
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

There really should be a sign at the maze entrance to
1) acquaint beginners with the basics
2) Tell kids or novices to ask for a slow down to load.
3) A slow load is better than a no-load and a 5 minute stop.
4) Explain we all get up faster if you form groups of 4.
5) The scanner guy/gal should have a big button that says "Ask me about loading if you might need help"
Quadsign.jpg
Quadsign.jpg (156.84 KiB) Viewed 344 times
RustyK
Whipping Post

Post by RustyK »

Mister Moose wrote:There really should be a sign at the maze entrance to
1) acquaint beginners with the basics
2) Tell kids or novices to ask for a slow down to load.
3) A slow load is better than a no-load and a 5 minute stop.
4) Explain we all get up faster if you form groups of 4.
5) The scanner guy/gal should have a big button that says "Ask me about loading if you might need help"
Quadsign.jpg
Now you just need to post this in Chinese....and hope they actually read it...
Where is Happy Hour ?
rogman
Postinator

Post by rogman »

The loading will be so much easier with the new Snowdon HSQ, particularly if they run it clockwise. That would allow them to load from the side (like on Rams Head, Snowshed, and the Skye Peak Quad). Right now I don't think Killington has any clockwise lifts... [/troll]
spanky
Site Admin

Post by spanky »

madhatter wrote:we actually rode the moosecalator top to bottom w/o it stopping yesterday!!!! *

this is notable because it only happened once out of the ten times we rode it...

I usually don’t ride lifts top to bottom. But, do as you please. ;)
Never argue with idiots. They will bring you down to their level, then overwhelm you with their experience.

"I have noticed that when you post, you often say more about yourself than the topic you chose to speak about." -The Suit
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

20hizk.jpg
20hizk.jpg (66.54 KiB) Viewed 304 times
Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Post by Stormchaser »

hillbangin wrote:I don't mind Slowdon - but there's nothing worse than taking that thing up first thing in the AM when it's 10 degrees or colder out. I'd rather wait in line.

Talking out both sides of my mouth......I always take the OL chair to Needles - and will not wait in line for the Burst chair if it's out to the end of the coral.

With an unlimited budget - I'd replace the triple and the Canyon with an HSQ - and leave Slowdon there. Move the canyon chair to south fridge.
Lines went berserko once the SPQ was replaced with a high speed detachable. Expect the same at Snowdon if that gets replaced with a hsq. I hate lift lines. I'd rather take my breaks sitting on my ass on a chair over standing around...guess I'm a single-planker at heart.
ImageImageImageImage
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

spanky wrote:
madhatter wrote:we actually rode the moosecalator top to bottom w/o it stopping yesterday!!!! *

I usually don’t ride lifts top to bottom. But, do as you please. ;)
well there ya go...I'm sure the uphill side stayed running the entire time.... I'll try that next time...:D
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
rogman
Postinator

Post by rogman »

Stormchaser wrote:
hillbangin wrote:I don't mind Slowdon - but there's nothing worse than taking that thing up first thing in the AM when it's 10 degrees or colder out. I'd rather wait in line.

Lines went berserko once the SPQ was replaced with a high speed detachable. Expect the same at Snowdon if that gets replaced with a hsq. I hate lift lines. I'd rather take my breaks sitting on my ass on a chair over standing around...guess I'm a single-planker at heart.
You're completely and conveniently ignoring the fact that Nyberg closed the Snowshed Crossover at the same time so Skye Peak Quad was the only way out of Bear. Well, except for the late lamented South Ridge triple, which, then, to double down on his idiocy, Nyberg ripped out. How he was ever given serious decision making responsibility at Killington completely eludes me. Argghhh. Mike is still undoing the damage he did.
Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Post by Stormchaser »

rogman wrote:
Stormchaser wrote:

You're completely and conveniently ignoring the fact that Nyberg closed the Snowshed Crossover at the same time so Skye Peak Quad was the only way out of Bear. Well, except for the late lamented South Ridge triple, which, then, to double down on his idiocy, Nyberg ripped out. How he was ever given serious decision making responsibility at Killington completely eludes me. Argghhh. Mike is still undoing the damage he did.
When the lines aren't long, you can say I told you so. Butt, I don't expect it will be the case... Every high speed lift at K has the longest lines on the mountain while fixed grips keep folks out of the horrendous corrals. K's corral management skills suck balls, and making longer lines just to mismanage them doesn't smell right. K should make efforts to hide crowds on chairs, not standing around all the bases making crowds look huge. If ride time presents exposure issues, so does increased operational speeds. Trading a 9 minute ride for a 6 minute ride with increased wind chill isn't a better option. Ride the box to warm up on cold days, ski aerobically, or fall once or twice. First half of most lift rides, I'm still sweating. Standing in line getting foggy goggles blows.
ImageImageImageImage