order has been restored ...

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

skiadikt
Level 10K poster

order has been restored ...

Post by skiadikt »

killington 44 trails most expert terrain in the east.
mt snow 20 trails
maybe cascade, bitter, middle o tomorrow. game over.

"fun" while it lasted ...
spoiled South American skiin' whore
Guy in Shorts
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Re: order has been restored ...

Post by Guy in Shorts »

Skied Ovation, Superstar and Skyehawk headwalls on Saturday. All very nice.
If my words did glow with the gold of sunshine.
Humpty Dumpty
Post Office

Post by Humpty Dumpty »

Guy in Shorts wrote:Skied Ovation, Superstar and Skyehawk headwalls on Saturday. All very nice.
There are no such things, Guy in Richard Simmons Shorts.

This waaaaay to the headwallzzzzzzzzss!

Every time you mention a "headwall" at Killington, is this how you envision yourself?

rogman
Postinator

Post by rogman »

Mount Snow still has a significant lead in acreage, but I expect that to disappear by Christmas. Mike clearly has them on his radar. Yesterday during our condo association meeting he mentioned they were unable to make snow yesterday. Meanwhile Killington was t2b on Cascade and Bittersweet and had upper and middle Ovation under the guns as well, just because they had some extra capacity. Snowshed is next up before they start their march towards Bear.

What is obvious is that they have new Snow Logic towers everywhere. The extra World Cup compressors are now paying dividends. West Lake may have allowed Mt Snow to catch up in water capacity, however Killington still has a huge lead in air. I'll also add that I like this year's trail rollout. Seems like they are really pushing the expert terrain.
ME2VTSkier
Powderhound
Location: Aroostook County ME, Plymouth VT, Block Island RI, Clarksville OH, Ocala FL

Post by ME2VTSkier »

rogman wrote:Mount Snow still has a significant lead in acreage, but I expect that to disappear by Christmas. Mike clearly has them on his radar. Yesterday during our condo association meeting he mentioned they were unable to make snow yesterday. Meanwhile Killington was t2b on Cascade and Bittersweet and had upper and middle Ovation under the guns as well, just because they had some extra capacity. Snowshed is next up before they start their march towards Bear.

What is obvious is that they have new Snow Logic towers everywhere. The extra World Cup compressors are now paying dividends. West Lake may have allowed Mt Snow to catch up in water capacity, however Killington still has a huge lead in air. I'll also add that I like this year's trail rollout. Seems like they are really pushing the expert terrain.
Except that Double Diamonds aren't the kind of trails that "Familys" are looking for... Header and Timberline (which requires a ton of snow for that park) Should be covered before Ovation.
DrJeff
Poster Child Poster

Post by DrJeff »

rogman wrote:Mount Snow still has a significant lead in acreage, but I expect that to disappear by Christmas. Mike clearly has them on his radar. Yesterday during our condo association meeting he mentioned they were unable to make snow yesterday. Meanwhile Killington was t2b on Cascade and Bittersweet and had upper and middle Ovation under the guns as well, just because they had some extra capacity. Snowshed is next up before they start their march towards Bear.

Mount Snow, I can attest from personally skiing through it, was indeed making snow yesterday. They shut the system down not too long after first chair as temps started to rise. They resurfaced roughly 75-80% of their open acres on the main mountain. Mount Snow has the majority of their open acreage right now as continuous trails with few open acres being connecting trails. Trail counts verses acreage open is an age old debate among marketing folks for sure!!

The bottom line is that as skiers and riders we all benefit when resorts keep pushing each other, especially in the snowmaking department, all is good!!
Proud Ski Racer Parent x2!
rogman
Postinator

Post by rogman »

DrJeff wrote:

Mount Snow, I can attest from personally skiing through it, was indeed making snow yesterday. They shut the system down not too long after first chair as temps started to rise. They resurfaced roughly 75-80% of their open acres on the main mountain. Mount Snow has the majority of their open acreage right now as continuous trails with few open acres being connecting trails. Trail counts verses acreage open is an age old debate among marketing folks for sure!!

The bottom line is that as skiers and riders we all benefit when resorts keep pushing each other, especially in the snowmaking department, all is good!!
I actually considered reaching out to you to determine if what Mike said was accurate. However I decided if it was wrong I'd hear about it pretty quick; a variation on the premise that if you want to get the answer to a question on the Internet, post the wrong answer. Regardless I think in the context of what Mike said he was accurate. Mount Snow stopped shortly after first chair, Killington made snow all day. I may not have accurately conveyed Mike's meaning as I understood it.

All that aside, ski areas seem to always want to know what their competitors are up to but want to keep their own actions private. As skiers our interests are best served by fostering competition. Mount Snow should be happy that Mike's specifically watching them; it means they are doing well.
machski
Black Carver

Post by machski »

Uh, air is not really an issue at Mount Snow. All the trails lined with fan guns require zero air being piped up mountain (the fan guns all have their own onboard compressors for the little compressed air they require). So no, they are just out ahead given the amount of water they can now push.
rogman
Postinator

Post by rogman »

machski wrote:

Uh, air is not really an issue at Mount Snow. All the trails lined with fan guns require zero air being piped up mountain (the fan guns all have their own onboard compressors for the little compressed air they require). So no, they are just out ahead given the amount of water they can now push.
They have somewhere between 200 and 250 fan guns, I'm not sure of the precise number. Once you get past that, you are into needing air, and lots of it. Given their lower latitude, and lower elevation, this differential is huge: Killington can make snow when Mt Snow can't. And, as I've made clear, I would like to see Killington up their game with respect to water.
DrJeff
Poster Child Poster

Post by DrJeff »

rogman wrote:
machski wrote:

They have somewhere between 200 and 250 fan guns, I'm not sure of the precise number. Once you get past that, you are into needing air, and lots of it. Given their lower latitude, and lower elevation, this differential is huge: Killington can make snow when Mt Snow can't. And, as I've made clear, I would like to see Killington up their game with respect to water.
Yup, Mount Snow has I believe now it's up to 260+ fan guns, the majority of which are mounted on fixed towers and mainly on core trails. They also have now about 700 air/water guns, the majority of which are HKD Impulses on towers and sleds/tripods and a smaller number of Snow Logic DV4's both on towers and tripods/sleds. Up until this season, Mount Snow also was running some "mid e" air/water ratniks on towers and tripods, but through Efficiency VT's program they replaced all of the Rat's, most of which they got about 3 yrs ago through efficiency VT as well, with the low e HKD's (About 200 new HKD's were added this season to replace the Rat's they were using the last few years).

While Mount Snow doesn't have nearly as much air available as K does, with their 30 million dollar West Lake Project that went on line this year, a new, larger than the previous system's air plant was added at a new mid mountain pump house that was built as part of the project. The mountain is comfortable with their full low e air/water system and their ability to cover more air/water terrain with the new system/set up than before.

Mount Snow hasn't had a rental diesel compressor on site in about 10 years as my memory recalls, and even with being known for their fan guns, they still have roughly 3 air/water guns for every 1 fan gun in their inventory.

I will be very interested to see what gun style they choose to use in the coming years as they expand their snowmaking coverage from the current listed just over 80% to 100%. There are some obvious locations where they could use fans if they want, as well as a bunch of trails where I'm quite sure will be all air/water guns...
Last edited by DrJeff on Dec 5th, '17, 10:58, edited 3 times in total.
Proud Ski Racer Parent x2!
rogman
Postinator

Post by rogman »

DrJeff wrote:
rogman wrote:
machski wrote:

Yup, Mount Snow has I believe now it's up to 260 fan guns, the majority of which are mounted on fixed towers and mainly on core trails. They also have now about 700 air/water guns, the majority of which are HKD Impulses on towers and sleds/tripods and a smaller number of Snow Logic DV4's both on towers and tripods.sleds. Up until this season, Mount Snow also was running some "mid e" air/water ratniks on towers and tripods, but through Efficiency VT's program they replaced all of the Rat's, most of which they got about 3 yrs ago through efficiency VT as well, with the low e HKD's (About 200 new HKD's were added this season to replace the Rat's they were using the last few years).

While Mount Snow doesn't have nearly as much air available as K does, with their 30 million dollar West Lake Project that went on line this year, a new, larger than the previous system's air plant was added at a new mid mountain pump house that was built as part of the project. The mountain is comfortable with their full low e air/water system and their ability to cover more air/water terrain with the new system/set up than before.

Mount Snow hasn't had a rental diesel compressor on site in 6 or 7 years as my memory recalls, and even with being known for their fan guns, they still have roughly 3 air/water guns for every 1 fan gun in their inventory.

I will be very interested to see what gun style they choose to use in the coming years as they expand their snowmaking coverage from the current listed just over 80% to 100%. There are some obvious locations where they could use fans if they want, as well as a bunch of trails where I'm quite sure will be all air/water guns...
Interesting stuff. Killington has gone all in on the Snow Logic, particularly the towers. They are everywhere on the Killington Basin side of the mountain. They also have a lot of them on towable stands, and continue to use the Ratniks on stands as well. However, when in marginal conditions, they fall back to the K3000. Noticed some in use at the very bottom of Cascade most recently. I expect as temperatures get colder, we'll see fewer of them.

I doubt Killington will ever go to 100% snowmaking, I suspect there would be a revolt if they tried to install it on some of the traditional natural trails. The ones that face south and east (south ridge, north star, vagabond, royal flush, etc.) tend to soften up nicely, even if they do melt out quickly.

As for compressors, Killington had reduced the number of rental compressors when they went all in on low-E. I assume that was a reduction in total air they could produce, but perhaps each individual one had greater capacity. Regardless, they jacked the number way up as a result of the World Cup. You can really see the difference in production now. They are killing it.
Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Post by Highway Star »

Killington is well equipped with snowguns and compressors, but they need to increase their pumping capacity by 25% and have more personnel available.
"I'M YELLING BECAUSE YOU DID SOMETHING COOL!" - Humpty Dumpty

"Kzone should bill you for the bandwidth you waste writing novels to try and prove a point, but end up just looking like a deranged narcissistic fool." - Deadheadskier at madhatter

"The key is to not be lame, and know it, and not give a rat's @$$ what anybody thinks......that's real cool." - Highway Star http://goo.gl/xJxo34" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"I am one of the coolest people on the internet..." - Highway Star

"I have a tiny penis...." - C-Rex

XtremeJibber2001 - THE MAIN STREAM MEDIA HAS YOU COMPLETELY HYPNOTIZED. PLEASE WAKE UP AND LEARN HOW TO FILTER REALITY FROM BS NARRATIVES.

"Your life is only interesting when you capture the best, fakest, most curated split second version." - Team Robot regarding Instagram posters
yiddle on da fiddle
Powderhound

Post by yiddle on da fiddle »

Begs the question?...have you tendered your Employment Application?
icedtea
Guru Poster

Post by icedtea »

How much does K pay nowadays?
"To have the truth in your possession you can be found guilty, sentenced to death."
Peter Tosh