thursday 12/7/2017 report

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

skiadikt
Level 10K poster

thursday 12/7/2017 report

Post by skiadikt »

a 180 from yesterday. a surprise flurries/light snow fell most of the time we were out. not much but purtied things up. for the most part wonderful surface conditions. great to get two additions to the superstar pod - middle o & bittersweet. middle o was on the chunky side and lower bitter was very chunky but they had started turning on the guns there. early runs down supe & skye lark were very good w/ maybe edge deep "pow" skiers right edge of skye. east fall was a surprise and got a repeat. upper chute for some reason continues to ski well. snowmaking on lower chute & upper mouse run. even did a quick pass through ramshead for giggles. great recovery by the mtn.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
madhatter
Signature Poster

Re: thursday 12/7/2017 report

Post by madhatter »

skiadikt wrote:a 180 from yesterday. a surprise flurries/light snow fell most of the time we were out. not much but purtied things up. for the most part wonderful surface conditions. great to get two additions to the superstar pod - middle o & bittersweet. middle o was on the chunky side and lower bitter was very chunky but they had started turning on the guns there. early runs down supe & skye lark were very good w/ maybe edge deep "pow" skiers right edge of skye. east fall was a surprise and got a repeat. upper chute for some reason continues to ski well. snowmaking on lower chute & upper mouse run. even did a quick pass through ramshead for giggles. great recovery by the mtn.
yet another common descriptor of early season conditions...
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

skiadikt wrote: purtied things up
Purtied?

Now that I think of it, replace the hat with a helmet, and there is sort of a resemblance.

tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

Mister Moose wrote:
skiadikt wrote: purtied things up
Purtied?

Now that I think of it, replace the hat with a helmet, and there is sort of a resemblance.

:lol:
Guy in Shorts
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by Guy in Shorts »

Beautiful snow clouds hung around for the day painting the mountain white. Summit temperature of 20 degrees when I made it out for some end of the day runs. Transformation of the mountain in just a day was impressive. Inch or so of new fallen snow helped return a real winter soft feel to the slopes. Warm-up on East Fall was delightful until the sticky glue like snow surface running out of the canyon reminding me to get the skis waxed soon. Made the first turns of the season on Mid Ovation and Bittersweet. Guns going on Lower Bittersweet were putting out a very dense snow that bogged down the less than fully committed skiers. Cascade is on tap to be groomed and open for Friday.

Grade B

Quote of the Day - The ability of this mountain to recover so fast never ceases to amaze me.
Attachments
Blue Heaven.jpg
Blue Heaven.jpg (54.01 KiB) Viewed 533 times
Superstar turns.jpg
Superstar turns.jpg (60.18 KiB) Viewed 533 times
Bittersweet Guns.jpg
Bittersweet Guns.jpg (38.75 KiB) Viewed 533 times
If my words did glow with the gold of sunshine.
RustyK
Whipping Post

Post by RustyK »

Anyone ever done the 2-day Slalom Race Camp, December 9-10.?

GREETINGS FROM KILLINGTON,

We have a lot of news to share this week, so let’s jump right in! With the holiday season approaching, our mountain operations team is busy expanding open terrain. Killington is already home to the most open terrain in the East, and this weekend, we’re adding even more. We'll have new services for first time and beginner skiers and riders on Saturday, with the addition of Snowshed Slope, our Terrain Based Learning area and Snowshed Express Quad. We’re also launching a new top-to-bottom beginner trail, Easy Street, over on Ramshead.

Look for expanded terrain offerings for more advanced skiers and riders too, including Bittersweet, Middle Ovation, and double-black diamond Cascade. For more details on open terrain, check the Daily Report often.

In addition to splendid skiing and snowboarding conditions, we have some must-see events and activities on our calendar. If you catch one terrain park competition this season, make sure it’s Rails 2 Riches on Saturday, December 9. The roster is packed with international caliber skiers and snowboarders who will compete under the lights for a piece of the $25,000 cash purse. Finals start at 4:45 p.m. so come out to Lower Bunny Buster, warm up around the bonfire, and watch the action.

Also kicking off this weekend is the Killington Snow Sports School’s Under Armour Unleashed program for youth ages 7-17. This season-long program lets young skiers and snowboarders unleash their all mountain skills, develop camaraderie and respect between fellow skiers and riders, and explore all the terrain Killington has to offer.

Adults looking to improve slalom racing skills should check out the 2-day Slalom Race Camp, December 9-10. Learn how to turn on demand and enhance your free skiing too with specialized instruction and skills development.

There's lots to see and do in Killington; we hope to see it with you.
Where is Happy Hour ?
liv4ski
Bumper

Post by liv4ski »

I think Rusty would rather be skiing the pow (hopefully)! I'll be skiing Sunday with my son. Thanks for the tix Mrs. G.
Attachments
forecast.jpg
forecast.jpg (410.46 KiB) Viewed 396 times
Captain Hafski
Poster Child Poster

Post by Captain Hafski »

Afternoon Report: Not sure if anyone will back me up on this, but I found much more than 'edge deep' pow late day especially on the upper 2/3 of Bittersweet. I seemed to me that that area received a larger dose than other parts of the mountain.

ROTD: Bittersweet. Ended up doing 5 late day laps on it once we figured out the best line down it. From the top down to where it splits away from the old cut of the trail, there was 3" or so of pow on the right side on top of nice non-icy cover below. The next section above Skyelark was also decent with a couple of guns on it. For the lower pitch, a mix of hard right [or even hard left under the guns] along with being prepared for a bit sticky of a surface [but nice and soft] was the key to getting the best turns and avoiding the discharge from the low E [aka wet] snow guns. Really fun skiing on it !!

In line with previous posts, K did a great job turning the mountain around from the earlier weather event. Highline skied very well. Middle O was also very good but forced a run down lower SS that was not great [but overall was good enough for a repeat]. I did not do East Fall as I heard it was nothing special, at least at that time of the day.
Goes to show, you don't never know
Watch each card you play, and play it slow
Don't you let that deal go down
Don't you let that deal go down

Looks like its going down no matter what I do !!!
RustyK
Whipping Post

Post by RustyK »

liv4ski wrote:I think Rusty would rather be skiing the pow (hopefully)! I'll be skiing Sunday with my son. Thanks for the tix Mrs. G.
Oh wow. I did not see that much snow a coming.

Yes. Skiing pow better than learning how to race.
Where is Happy Hour ?