Closing the gap

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

rogman
Postinator

Re: Closing the gap

Post by rogman »

Lot of changes for Saturday, so I decided to update the graph. It probably takes 5 minutes; posting actually takes longer (to reply to Junior's comment)
acreage_by_resort.JPG_171209.JPG
acreage_by_resort.JPG_171209.JPG (49.29 KiB) Viewed 333 times
As I've said, Killington has by far the best terrain open, and I have no argument with those posters that say miles of skiing might be a better metric, however, there are also a lot of "connectors" that shouldn't count either. There isn't a good metric. Blow half of a wide trail, you get "credit" for the whole thing. For what it is worth, my observation is that Killington covers wall to wall.

Interesting to note that a lot of resorts changed position since yesterday: Sugarbush and Sugarloaf are both mired in last place. Neither have gone big into snow making, relying on natural. I find it curious that Sunday River lags so far back. It has long been my contention that when REITs own ski areas (like SR), the skier suffers, this seems to indicate a lack of necessary investment in that area. Big jump since yesterday in Stowe; obviously Vail isn't skimping, since there's been no snowfall. Killington continues its meteoric rise, and Mount Snow continues kept pace; their investment in West Lake is paying dividends.

I was deeply puzzled about the reports about 8 Compressors headed out of town from Snowshed, so much so that I took a quick look at the Bear compressor farm. During the World Cup, there were 13 compressors there. Good news: they are all still there, so compressors were only removed from the Snowshed side. Thinking about it, and looking at what Killington has done, it makes sense: They absolutely blasted Killington Basin, and used "local" (Snowshed) air to do so. Cascade, Bittersweet, Ovation, as well as getting Ramshead operating. Right now they are in good shape on the Killington side; and can continue with what I assume are the "normal" 7 compressors (I have not verified how many are there; would appreciate confirmation). Once Snowshed is complete, they'll start their march towards Bear, and it will be far more efficient to use compressors on the Bear side, and as I said, there are still a lot of them. Still, lot of low elevation snow making right now at Snowshed; wish they'd held that extra capacity a few more days to complete that, but I don't know the nature of the rental agreement. Bottom line: Killington still has a tons of compressor capacity.
KingsFourMan
Postaholic

Post by KingsFourMan »

Dr. NO wrote:Ah, remembering the days where even weekends were quiet and calm prior to Christmas. Oh well, guess fewer ski areas and more skiers and riders changes the situation. :cry:
Nice to see VT off to a good start this year. Today's natural snowfall down in the flatlands comes at the the perfect time, the "backyard" affect should make for a good busy holiday week in VT, especially if this cold weather pattern holds as predicted.

Interesting to see K going after so many double diamonds this early if they do hit Conclusion and Vertigo soon as rumored.
Don't fly Mr. Bluebird, I'm just walking down the road......
DrJeff
Poster Child Poster

Post by DrJeff »

tyrolean_skier wrote:
DrJeff wrote:12 new trails open up tomorrow, Saturday, at Mount Snow. Then if the temps predicted for this coming week pan out, they anticipate having all of their snowmaking terrain, less the half pipe, open by next weekend.

Also to date, they've pumped 82 million gallons of water and counting.....

Acres, miles, air capacity, gallons pumped. Heck, VT is the home of some of the most impressive snowmaking sysystems anywhere!!
How were the crowds at Mt. Snow today? We had long lines here and at 8 AM I got parking in Bay 4. When I left I saw cars all over the place and the Vale parking was all full too.
I was at Stratton with my 13yr old daughter at a VARA slalom camp - short lines (and lots of scraped off by 10:30AM snow at Stratton today - even the gondola was less than 5 minutes all day long!)

My 11yr old son who was training at Mount Snow today said the lines were 5 to 7 minutes on the main lifts and the snow was soft all over the mountain. This has been backed up to my by my regular ski buddies, one of whose condo I'm at right now listening to him say how it was one of his best December days in his 40+yrs of skiing today!!
Proud Ski Racer Parent x2!
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

rogman wrote: Lot of changes for Saturday, so I decided to update the graph.
That's an interesting graph, I'll bet more than one marketing director lays eyes on it.

Given your theory on REITs, how would you explain the difference between Okemo and Sunday River?
Big Bob
Postinator

Post by Big Bob »

Mister Moose wrote:
rogman wrote: Lot of changes for Saturday, so I decided to update the graph.
That's an interesting graph, I'll bet more than one marketing director lays eyes on it.

Given your theory on REITs, how would you explain the difference between Okemo and Sunday River?
Sunday River lost power during the early cold snap so the lost some time when the snowmaking window was at it's best. They have an all electric plant. Both mnts are owned by the same REIT BTW.
2 hours and 10-minute drive to K
2023/2024 Ski Days: 33 days for the season
Killington: 12/14, 1/4, 1/9, 1/11, 1/17, 1/23, 1/31, 2/5, 2/20, 2/26, 3/4, 3/20, 3/25, 4/2, 4/5
Loon: 11/29, 12/8, 12/21, 1/8, 1/19, 1/22,1/30, 2/7, 2/15, 3/1, 3/8, 3/22, 4/14
Sunday River: 3/12
Sugarloaf: 3/13, 3/14
Cannon:1/15, 2/22
deadheadskier
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by deadheadskier »

I don't really understand the point of threads like this. I mean, unless you are considering changing home mountains, why care what other places are doing? As long as you are sufficiently pleased with what your home mountain is doing with the weather available to them, that's really all that should matter.

Hell, I have a pass to Mt. Snow and I care very little what they are doing other than I want them to be profitable for the overall benefit of Peak Resorts as I ski at their other areas. It bothers me a little that they pay less attention to Wildcat, but I get that Snow is where more money is made.