Friday, 12/8/17 report

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Friday, 12/8/17 report

Post by tyrolean_skier »

It was a cold day and you needed to be fully covered. Started my day skiing Blue Heaven to Launch Pad to Middle Ovation and then lower Superstar. Middle Ovation skied fine for me but others complained about the conditions there. The Superstar headwall was not a do over, middle skied fine and lower was alright too. Skylark was skiing very nicely this morning and Bittersweet with still some guns on it was skiing great. On the other side Cascade was open but no Canyon Quad so you had to ski back out to the gondola to do laps on it. Same with East Fall - I didn't ski it until the afternoon but managed to find some snow on the left side of the trail. Highline was skiing very well so I skied it twice. Also did most of the runs on Snowdon at least twice. Could only ride the quad a few times because you got quite cold when you got to the top. Skied some runs off the poma to keep from getting too cold. Did sample some reserved trails and they were not a do over. We need lots of natural snow to make those natural trails fun again.
Bubba
Site Admin

Re: Friday, 12/8/17 report

Post by Bubba »

Skied mid-day and it was colder than I thought it would be. Snowdon runs skied pretty well, Rime, upper Dipper and Upper East Fall were a tad scraped but plenty of decent snow to enjoy. Lower East Fall was better than expected, scraped in spots but plenty of places to locate good turns without skidding around. Great Northern to Snowdon and FIS decent. In general, conditions are OK but nothing really screams "do over" or "I don't care how cold it is, I'm staying out here". The yahoo factor was higher than expected as well, especially given how few people were out on the hill, but the yahoos seemed to travel in packs so, if you let the packs go by, you had the hill to yourself again right after they passed.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Captain Hafski
Poster Child Poster

Re: Friday, 12/8/17 report

Post by Captain Hafski »

Afternoon Report: not overly impressed.

Cold day, but not brutal cold. 16 degrees at the top with little to no wind.

My main disappointment was the opening of Cascade. They had groomed it and, to use a term I used the other day, it was a featureless luge run. Don't get me wrong, it was not as icy as it can be, but I found it boring for a double diamond trail.

ROTD = Bittersweet. Not as good as the day before, but very enjoyable skiing top to bottom. At first [noonish], they still had wet guns on the bottom section [although not as wet as the day before due to the colder temps]. The bonus round later in the day was when they shut those guns off!

Middle O was also very flat and fast. Beware at the bottom return turn for loose rocks.

As already posted, the SS upper headwall was FAST with frozen cat tracks from side to side and then you could find a bit of beach sand further down to turn on. The rest of SS skied OK. Skyelark was more of the same [flat and fast].

Highline was only other trail worth mentioning and while very flat and fast, skied better than most of the others.

Where did the moguls go ??
Goes to show, you don't never know
Watch each card you play, and play it slow
Don't you let that deal go down
Don't you let that deal go down

Looks like its going down no matter what I do !!!