halfpipe question

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

drocosta
Beginner On Rentals

halfpipe question

Post by drocosta »

did K ever open the pipe at bear last year? i remember it being later in season growing up
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Re: halfpipe question

Post by daytripper »

I don't think the superpipe at bear ever opened last year but the smaller pipe on timberland did.
SnoBrdr
Whipping Post

Post by SnoBrdr »

Total waste of resources unless there is a competition that's willing to pay for it.
Beware of fools & trolls here, they lurk everywhere.
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

i think they made some snow in the half pipe and then abandoned it. they did groom a path through it.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
drocosta
Beginner On Rentals

Post by drocosta »

makes sense from a resources point of view, w the early snowmaking for the cup
i'll keep a lookout for later this season....thanks
snoloco
Tree Psycho

Post by snoloco »

Last year and the year before were not very good for snowmaking in Jan/Feb which is around when they would blow in the pipe. It's a low priority IMO, unless there's some event that's going to pay for it. If this year turns out to better than the last two, and models are saying it will, I think it will see some attention this year. I'm hoping it will, because while I don't ski it, all that snow helps keep Bear open later into the season when they plow all the snow out of it after they determine that it is too warm to maintain. This was done in 14-15 and Bear was open until April 19th.
RustyK
Whipping Post

Post by RustyK »

Seems weird that the K does not have a halfpipe for more than 2 months.

Would of looked nice where they put the big KMS jump that only the privileged can use.

At Copper Mtn, the halfpipe is right at the base lodge where it can be viewed and walked up to if they so choose.

Where is Happy Hour ?
biged
Slalom Racer

Post by biged »

Blow the middle section of Superstar really deep early (perfect for the spring) and make the whole middle section a halfpipe. Problem solved.
DrJeff
Poster Child Poster

Post by DrJeff »

My hunch is that if the winter olympics dropped the half pipe as a medal sport, you'd see atleast the big superpipes become a relic of the past... Lots of resources spent for a few users, many of whom are just as happy, if not more happy in a modern park instead of a halfpipe....
Proud Ski Racer Parent x2!
jimmywilson69
Poster Child Poster

Post by jimmywilson69 »

who on the east coast even blows a super pipe anymore? Okemo? Mt Snow?

Its a waste, blow some base on Devils fiddle instead or blow that much more snow on SuperStar.
2023-2024

Ski Visits in PA
Roundtop: 12/22,12/23, 1/8, 1/13, 1/14, 1/17 LR, 1/18 LR, 1/19, 1/20, 1/21, 1//22 LR, 1/23 LR, 1/26, 1/29 LR, 2/2 LR, 2/3, 2/4, 2/7 LR, 2/8, 2/9, 2/10, 2/11, 2/15, 2/16 LR, 2/17, 2/18, 2/19 LR, 2/21 LR, 3/8 LR, 3/9, 3/10

Ski Visits in VT
Okemo: 12/8, 2/29, 3/1, 3/2, 3/18
Stowe: 12/9
Killington: 12/10, 2/25, 2/26, 2/27, 3/16, 3/17

Ski Visits in NY
Hunter: 3/15

Total Ski Visits 44

LR = Lunch Runs
DrJeff
Poster Child Poster

Post by DrJeff »

jimmywilson69 wrote:who on the east coast even blows a super pipe anymore? Okemo? Mt Snow?

Its a waste, blow some base on Devils fiddle instead or blow that much more snow on SuperStar.

Yup, those are the 2, atleast last season.

And I know from having seen it 1st hand last Sunday, Mount Snow has started the annual snowmaking push to get their half pipe going. The snow logic DV4's were pumping out the first of many rounds of whale production it takes to get enough snow to build it...
Proud Ski Racer Parent x2!
Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Post by Highway Star »

They had a killer stunt ditch last year.
"I'M YELLING BECAUSE YOU DID SOMETHING COOL!" - Humpty Dumpty

"Kzone should bill you for the bandwidth you waste writing novels to try and prove a point, but end up just looking like a deranged narcissistic fool." - Deadheadskier at madhatter

"The key is to not be lame, and know it, and not give a rat's @$$ what anybody thinks......that's real cool." - Highway Star http://goo.gl/xJxo34" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"I am one of the coolest people on the internet..." - Highway Star

"I have a tiny penis...." - C-Rex

XtremeJibber2001 - THE MAIN STREAM MEDIA HAS YOU COMPLETELY HYPNOTIZED. PLEASE WAKE UP AND LEARN HOW TO FILTER REALITY FROM BS NARRATIVES.

"Your life is only interesting when you capture the best, fakest, most curated split second version." - Team Robot regarding Instagram posters
Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Post by Highway Star »

12 ft halfpipes are great for just about everybody. I've said for the last 10+ years that superpipes are stupid. Nobody needs a 20ft pipe that bakes in the sun most of the day.
"I'M YELLING BECAUSE YOU DID SOMETHING COOL!" - Humpty Dumpty

"Kzone should bill you for the bandwidth you waste writing novels to try and prove a point, but end up just looking like a deranged narcissistic fool." - Deadheadskier at madhatter

"The key is to not be lame, and know it, and not give a rat's @$$ what anybody thinks......that's real cool." - Highway Star http://goo.gl/xJxo34" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"I am one of the coolest people on the internet..." - Highway Star

"I have a tiny penis...." - C-Rex

XtremeJibber2001 - THE MAIN STREAM MEDIA HAS YOU COMPLETELY HYPNOTIZED. PLEASE WAKE UP AND LEARN HOW TO FILTER REALITY FROM BS NARRATIVES.

"Your life is only interesting when you capture the best, fakest, most curated split second version." - Team Robot regarding Instagram posters
drocosta
Beginner On Rentals

Post by drocosta »

i've always preferred sticking to bear and skye peak during the season. away from the families, lines and wind

the dew tour set up on OL was dope. the stash was cool when it opened, but kinda lost the cool factor. crowd changed. you guys are right, the superpipe alone wouldn't be exciting without a good event

from a revenue perspective, it makes sense for k to become a super family friendly mountain, they got the money to spend. it's a business, they can't go broke like asc

i have a hard time getting guys i grew up w going back to K, even though we have a freaking train from manhattan to take us there (which is my sh*t for big storms and powder days). but they are down to spend the extra money on trip to hunter or stratton

on a random note, that jamaican shack w/ the beers mid skyeship. f*** love that place, i hope they open again this year
specialp
Green Skidder

Post by specialp »

Superpipe has not opened for 2 years. 2 Years ago it was the worst season ever and they did not even attempt to build it. Last year they blew a bunch of snow in the middle and on dreammaker park but then did not finish it. If this season continues as it is, I can see them opening it in January.