sunday 12/10/2017 report

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

skiadikt
Level 10K poster

sunday 12/10/2017 report

Post by skiadikt »

tossed away the micrometer today. 3-4" of pow. huge improvement over last couple of days. throw in the canyon quad (kudos to mtn for getting that up ahead of schedule) and it was a pretty good morning. the new snow mixed in nicely. everything skied pretty much the same after the initial feeding frenzy was over. timing was important as the large crowd quickly gobbled up the new snow. we were at supe early and those runs skied well, though pres' pitch was already a bit chunky. cascade had been hit hard by the time we got there. we doubled down on east fall. chute t-t-b was sweet. i'm out of the poaching business for now, but was envious of some of the trax i saw. tomorrow lower o?
spoiled South American skiin' whore
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Re: sunday 12/10/2017 report

Post by tyrolean_skier »

The new snow from yesterday helped a little but the snow that fell today helped a lot more and made those natural trails skiable although you had to be careful because there was stuff to be hit underneath. So happy I was able to sample some trails I had not skied since last spring. I was surprised to see the Canyon quad running but I did take full advantage of it until it got too cold to ride it multiple times. That wind was very penetrating. So to warm up we would do a gondola run. In the Superstar pod, my favorite run was Bittersweet. Found some decent snow on Middle Ovation too. Looked at Lower Ovation and I think it might be good to go in the next few days. I even did one run on Snowshed and the surface was very nice. Snowdon had some good snow especially later this afternoon when more snow had accumulated.

I saw Mike Solimano at the Canyon Quad with his family. Glad he was out having some fun time.
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

tyrolean_skier wrote:The new snow from yesterday helped a little but the snow that fell today helped a lot more and made those natural trails skiable although you had to be careful because there was stuff to be hit underneath. So happy I was able to sample some trails I had not skied since last spring. I was surprised to see the Canyon quad running but I did take full advantage of it until it got too cold to ride it multiple times. That wind was very penetrating. So to warm up we would do a gondola run. In the Superstar pod, my favorite run was Bittersweet. Found some decent snow on Middle Ovation too. Looked at Lower Ovation and I think it might be good to go in the next few days. I even did one run on Snowshed and the surface was very nice. Snowdon had some good snow especially later this afternoon when more snow had accumulated.

I saw Mike Solimano at the Canyon Quad with his family. Glad he was out having some fun time.
yeah we pulled the plug on the canyon after a few rides. that wind was brutal. still great to have it. and snowshed was our go home run. silky smooth snow. a guilty pleasure. you only "looked" at lower O?!?
spoiled South American skiin' whore
The Big O
Beginner On Rentals

Post by The Big O »

Highline. Yo!
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

The Big O wrote:Highline. Yo!
Great going The Big O. That's a steep trail for you. Kudos.
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

skiadikt wrote:
tyrolean_skier wrote:The new snow from yesterday helped a little but the snow that fell today helped a lot more and made those natural trails skiable although you had to be careful because there was stuff to be hit underneath. So happy I was able to sample some trails I had not skied since last spring. I was surprised to see the Canyon quad running but I did take full advantage of it until it got too cold to ride it multiple times. That wind was very penetrating. So to warm up we would do a gondola run. In the Superstar pod, my favorite run was Bittersweet. Found some decent snow on Middle Ovation too. Looked at Lower Ovation and I think it might be good to go in the next few days. I even did one run on Snowshed and the surface was very nice. Snowdon had some good snow especially later this afternoon when more snow had accumulated.

yeah we pulled the plug on the canyon after a few rides. that wind was brutal. still great to have it. and snowshed was our go home run. silky smooth snow. a guilty pleasure. you only "looked" at lower O?!?
Yeah we only looked. We did go down as far as the rope and the snow was very grabby so we opted to wait until they open it. Just hope I am still here when that they do drop the rope.
twilkas
Tree Psycho

Post by twilkas »

Ty, nats-Northstar ok?
throbster
Postaholic

Post by throbster »

twilkas wrote:Ty, nats-Northstar ok?
Negatory.... 5" of fluff on frozen turf. Low angle and blow in sides only.
I get all the news I need from the weather report

- Simon and Garfunkel
brownman
Postinator

Post by brownman »

During the afternoon squall, the protected edges of certain favorite nats were serving up delightful turns. :like
Bench inspection tonite revealed no nicks, cuts or bruises.

Runaway ski on Cascade late in the day went down into the netting like a harpoon.
Lower left side of Cascade has got a bunch of gnar.
Nothing a good groom can't fix.

Really good conditions for only 15 inches of natural :like

:Toast
Forever .. Goat Path
RustyK
Whipping Post

Post by RustyK »

Got out early (for me) and enjoyed the not running for a week Canyon Quad with Skier girl.

Everything skied better than Saturday for sure. There was some interest into the natural trails, but it was too thin.

Saw Mike also with the family during my zipper malfunction on my jacket.

Peak bar was delightful for lunch with many of the key players.

Snowdon and Sup after. S4 stopped 8 times on one trip up. Not a record, but close.

With the Tuesday event coming, next weekend should be betterer!
Where is Happy Hour ?
Captain Hafski
Poster Child Poster

Post by Captain Hafski »

Mid-Late Day Report: Got out a bit earlier than normal, and stayed on almost to the closing bell. Best day of the season !!

Although I can't personally speak for first chair conditions, I am pretty sure it snowed as much through the day as the night before. Better and better each run in the afternoon.

ROTD: Tough to call but I am going to give it to Skyelark. If nothing else, this has been one of my least favorite trails last few weeks. I was skiing it left side top to bottom but heard from P that it was good on the right as well. Some bumps on the upper section but mostly just constantly refreshed good skiing. Middle section left side had some bumps starting to form and the lower section was great with some fairly consistent lines with soft troughs. Fast chair protected from the wind and no lift lines added to the ROTD call. Other notables:

- Middle O: Sweet bumps down left side. I heard right side was great as well except for occasional frosting from the low E [aka wet] guns that were on. Also, lower SS was skiing as good as it's been.
- Cascade: Believe this is the one trail they did not groom the night before as early on, it seemed similar to the day before. Bumps forming in different sections of the trail with sweet new snow. I preferred the right side on the lower pitch as it did not have the "ridge dropoff" to contend with except as you neared the lower death net.
- Highline: Getting better and better with the new tate.
- Late day Ridge Run. Its getting there. Same for upper Royal Flush. DId not get any crazier on the nats with my 'new' skis.

Really good meal at Caseys to top it off. A bit pricey [$15 burger] but very good and included fries [fresh cut] and baked beans which was too much food. Burger was cooked perfectly and the prime rib french dip we had was excellent as well.

Great Day !!
Goes to show, you don't never know
Watch each card you play, and play it slow
Don't you let that deal go down
Don't you let that deal go down

Looks like its going down no matter what I do !!!
Guy in Shorts
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by Guy in Shorts »

Sun made an early meager attempt to shed some light onto our powder day. Clouds quickly won the battle with snow showers blessing us for the remainder of the day. Summit temperature of 15 degrees allowed the snowguns to continue to run at full output. Nearly four inches of fresh made some of the low angle natural trails barely skiable for the brave. Many in attendance this weekend were getting in their first turns of the year. Presents were stacked under the Peak Lodge Christmas tree as Santa tends to deliver early treats to the Killington faithful. Having completed 25 runs for my 25th day of skiing I passed on final chair heading for a well-deserved IPA reward.

Grade B+

Quote of the Day – After sampling this IPA selection today there is no way I can revert back.
Attachments
Sunday Superstar.jpg
Sunday Superstar.jpg (65.5 KiB) Viewed 357 times
Peak Lodge Tree.jpg
Peak Lodge Tree.jpg (95.78 KiB) Viewed 357 times
Bittersweet Powder.jpg
Bittersweet Powder.jpg (52.15 KiB) Viewed 357 times
If my words did glow with the gold of sunshine.