Reserved

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

hillbangin
Wanted Poster

Reserved

Post by hillbangin »

So what is up with all the trail closings/reserved runs?

I love the new strategy - but if I get pulled over for poaching I'd be out of my mind.

I get closing trails they are making snow on where the hoses are everywhere.

If they are just trying to keep the Freds and Julies out it is a perfect strategy.

Home field advantage for us I guess.

Mountain is skiing great.
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Re: Reserved

Post by daytripper »

Poach discreetly and it shouldn't be a problem.
jimmywilson69
Poster Child Poster

Post by jimmywilson69 »

per the trail map looks like a lot of things that were closed a day or 2 ago are now open. Only thing closed is lower dreammaker and Fiddle and lots of woods. Is Dipper Open?
2023-2024

Ski Visits in PA
Roundtop: 12/22,12/23, 1/8, 1/13, 1/14, 1/17 LR, 1/18 LR, 1/19, 1/20, 1/21, 1//22 LR, 1/23 LR, 1/26, 1/29 LR, 2/2 LR, 2/3, 2/4, 2/7 LR, 2/8, 2/9, 2/10, 2/11, 2/15, 2/16 LR, 2/17, 2/18, 2/19 LR, 2/21 LR, 3/8 LR, 3/9, 3/10

Ski Visits in VT
Okemo: 12/8, 2/29, 3/1, 3/2, 3/18
Stowe: 12/9
Killington: 12/10, 2/25, 2/26, 2/27, 3/16, 3/17

Ski Visits in NY
Hunter: 3/15

Total Ski Visits 44

LR = Lunch Runs
bruceol
Green Skidder

Post by bruceol »

Fiddle is open....GO NUTS and ENJOY !!!!!! Then eat PIZZA !!!!!
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

bruceol wrote:Fiddle is open....GO NUTS and ENJOY !!!!!! Then eat PIZZA !!!!!
When did it open? I always saw a rope there.
rogman
Postinator

Post by rogman »

Skied a still "reserved" Fiddle early afternoon, and towards the bottom I realized I was catching up to a patroller, also skiing it. I stopped and waited a bit (no sense tempting fate). But seriously WTF??? Screw it, I'm done with those hypocrites. The biggest problem with the Fiddle today? It was wind blown and needed more skiers/boarders to break it up. So yeah, not the least surprised if it has been opened, they now need the public to improve their private stash. Killington should get rid of the lot of them and start over.
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

rogman wrote:Skied a still "reserved" Fiddle early afternoon, and towards the bottom I realized I was catching up to a patroller, also skiing it. I stopped and waited a bit (no sense tempting fate). But seriously WTF??? Screw it, I'm done with those hypocrites. The biggest problem with the Fiddle today? It was wind blown and needed more skiers/boarders to break it up. So yeah, not the least surprised if it has been opened, they now need the public to improve their private stash. Killington should get rid of the lot of them and start over.
I'm sure he was just checking it out for safety reasons.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
ANGUS
Slalom Racer

Post by ANGUS »

rogman wrote:Skied a still "reserved" Fiddle early afternoon, and towards the bottom I realized I was catching up to a patroller, also skiing it. I stopped and waited a bit (no sense tempting fate). But seriously WTF??? Screw it, I'm done with those hypocrites. The biggest problem with the Fiddle today? It was wind blown and needed more skiers/boarders to break it up. So yeah, not the least surprised if it has been opened, they now need the public to improve their private stash. Killington should get rid of the lot of them and start over.
Patroller or free pass ambassador? Did you get a picture of them? Can you identify them?
rogman
Postinator

Post by rogman »

ANGUS wrote:
Patroller or free pass ambassador? Did you get a picture of them? Can you identify them?
Red suit, no reindeer, ergo not Santa Claus. Yeah, I'm a regular Sherlock F'ing Holmes. The giant PLUS
sign on the back was kind of a giveaway. Couldn't identify them, I was behind them and a hundred yards back. Wouldn't identify them, because that really was never my goal.

However, clearly this and the other thread struck a nerve; Patrol has been shamed into opening pretty much the entire mountain. It shouldn't have been necessary. 500 additional acres open tomorrow. I stand by my remark that those responsible for keeping trails closed this long should be sacked. They have betrayed their trust and are not good stewards of the mountain.
DirtRoadMoon
Beginner On Rentals

Post by DirtRoadMoon »

Shoot. Why put up any ropes on Killington at all?! I can ski any trail in any conditions on this coast. Probably better than those layabouts hiding in their shacks all day. We deserve those trails. We pay to keep them in business.
Humpty Dumpty
Post Office

Post by Humpty Dumpty »

rogman wrote:
However, clearly this and the other thread struck a nerve; Patrol has been shamed into opening pretty much the entire mountain
It shouldn't have been necessary. 500 additional acres open tomorrow. I stand by my remark that those responsible for keeping trails closed this long should be sacked. They have betrayed their trust and are not good stewards of the mountain.
You are my hero rogman. Not on;y are you the most uninteresting man on KZone, but also the most influential. Whodda thought your ranting on KZone could influence the dropping of ropes at the mtn. Can your farts lower the price of beer there as well? I think that's what you should be concentrating on.

Get to work, oh Great Flatulent One.
Big Bob
Postinator

Post by Big Bob »

Is patrol fully staffed at this point? Should be, but with the problems with finding people to work at ski areas, they may not be. If the full mnt was open could it be swept before dark with the cold temps? Someone who got hurt and couldn't move may not survive the night at these temps combined with the wind.
2 hours and 10-minute drive to K
2023/2024 Ski Days: 33 days for the season
Killington: 12/14, 1/4, 1/9, 1/11, 1/17, 1/23, 1/31, 2/5, 2/20, 2/26, 3/4, 3/20, 3/25, 4/2, 4/5
Loon: 11/29, 12/8, 12/21, 1/8, 1/19, 1/22,1/30, 2/7, 2/15, 3/1, 3/8, 3/22, 4/14
Sunday River: 3/12
Sugarloaf: 3/13, 3/14
Cannon:1/15, 2/22
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

Big Bob wrote:Is patrol fully staffed at this point? Should be, but with the problems with finding people to work at ski areas, they may not be. If the full mnt was open could it be swept before dark with the cold temps? Someone who got hurt and couldn't move may not survive the night at these temps combined with the wind.
the ambassadors help in the end of the day sweep but still probably not enough to sweep every open trail.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
rogman
Postinator

Post by rogman »

Does anyone believe we are going to get an explanation why so much terrain has been suddenly opened several days after a storm? What changed? While it may be unfair to impugn Patrol's motivation, it is perfectly valid to question their judgement. Lots of potential other reasons for closures:
Staffing issues
Safety concerns with respect to a relatively unskilled Christmas week crowd
Concerns about their ability to get a sled to certain areas
Waiting for the wind to scour the snow in, and make it "safer".

I don't think any of these hold water. I'll also point out that having your ticket pulled is a far worse penalty for pass holders (who in general are better able to judge conditions) than it is for someone with a day ticket. Anyway, here's what happened to the acreage. Would love to credit Mountain Ops (who've done an incredible job in sub-frigid conditions), but even Killington's vaunted snow making system can't add 500 acres overnight.
acreage_by_resort.JPG_171229.JPG
acreage_by_resort.JPG_171229.JPG (74.3 KiB) Viewed 1129 times
Captain Hafski
Postaholic

Post by Captain Hafski »

For the record, Fiddle was open from the top later in the day yesterday.
Goes to show, you don't never know
Watch each card you play, and play it slow
Don't you let that deal go down
Don't you let that deal go down

Looks like its going down no matter what I do !!!