Reserved

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

rogman
Postinator

Re: Reserved

Post by rogman »

ME2VTSkier wrote:
Mister Moose wrote:Juggernaught et al - there can't be a coverage issue here. Groomers too busy elsewhere? A diagonal to Rogman's point is why have it on the map if you aren't going to open it or maintain it?

Stitchline, Skye Peak liftline - These trails every year open once they are tracked and packed. It almost seems that Patrol waits until there has been enough poaching to highlight the stumps and boulders. Then the rope drops.

Valley Plunge - put in a fence to direct traffic away from the GE flow and open it all the way to the bottom.

The past few years they've been closing Juggernaut/Solitude/Sassafras when the temps have gotten downright brutally cold. I'd guess so no one ends up out there with hypothermia/frostbitten.
Having "skied" them (and I use the term loosely), I believe that's flawed logic. It's a bit of effort to actually pole your way along them. Whatever. Another story we won't get the DL on.
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

rogman wrote:List of closed trails:
Skye Peak lift line
Superpipe trail
Juggernaut
Stitchline
Valley plunge
Touchdown
Sassafras
Solitude
Juggernaut Too
Rendezvous
Half this list just needs a grooming to be skiable. The rest are good to go now. Looking at this list, K could be 100% open, except perhaps the superpipe trail which may have snow guns across the trail for farming for the pipe. Open the mountain!
Stitchline was open today and had good coverage.
rogman
Postinator

Post by rogman »

tyrolean_skier wrote:
Skye Peak lift line
Superpipe trail
Juggernaut
Stitchline
Valley plunge
Touchdown
Sassafras
Solitude
Juggernaut Too
Rendezvous
Half this list just needs a grooming to be skiable. The rest are good to go now. Looking at this list, K could be 100% open, except perhaps the superpipe trail which may have snow guns across the trail for farming for the pipe. Open the mountain!
What changed? Anything? Or has Patrol become a pathetic joke when it comes to trail closures?

Edit: Second callout. Still waiting for an explanation. Double dog dare, and all that... So far: crickets...
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

rogman wrote:
tyrolean_skier wrote:
Skye Peak lift line
Superpipe trail
Juggernaut
Stitchline
Valley plunge
Touchdown
Sassafras
Solitude
Juggernaut Too
Rendezvous
What changed? Anything? Or is Patrol become a pathetic joke when it comes to trail closures?
Don't know what changed except that yesterday the ropes were up and today they were not.
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

rogman wrote:
tyrolean_skier wrote:
Skye Peak lift line
Superpipe trail
Juggernaut
Stitchline
Valley plunge
Touchdown
Sassafras
Solitude
Juggernaut Too
Rendezvous
What changed? Anything? Or has Patrol become a pathetic joke when it comes to trail closures?

Edit: Second callout. Still waiting for an explanation. Double dog dare, and all that... So far: crickets...
We had a mean dusting yesterday!
Woodsrider
Slalom Racer

Post by Woodsrider »

Certainly not an excuse, but there were panic attacks all over the mountain Friday and yesterday. I think patrollers had their hands full transporting able bodied but feable minded skiers off the mountain. I even talked a couple crying girls out of their paralyzed wedge on 10 foot sections of ice.
DirtRoadMoon
Beginner On Rentals

Post by DirtRoadMoon »

rogman wrote:
tyrolean_skier wrote:
Skye Peak lift line
Superpipe trail
Juggernaut
Stitchline
Valley plunge
Touchdown
Sassafras
Solitude
Juggernaut Too
Rendezvous

I noticed something that changed...
DirtRoadMoon
Beginner On Rentals

Post by DirtRoadMoon »

No one? No one noticed what changed on stitchline for them to open it? Crickets!!!
ME2VTSkier
Powderhound
Location: Aroostook County ME, Plymouth VT, Block Island RI, Clarksville OH, Ocala FL

Post by ME2VTSkier »

DirtRoadMoon wrote:No one? No one noticed what changed on stitchline for them to open it? Crickets!!!
Seemed like it was open then closed, every other day this week.
biged
Slalom Racer

Post by biged »

Why would a person on ski patrol want to trash his skis taking some yahoo down. In my opinion I would rather leave it closed until perfect cover and look the other way for some skiers. You can ski the trails and avoid damage to your skis, if you are guiding a sled I doubt it is as easy. Give the boys in red a break, you might need their help some day.
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

biged wrote:Why would a person on ski patrol want to trash his skis taking some yahoo down. In my opinion I would rather leave it closed until perfect cover and look the other way for some skiers. You can ski the trails and avoid damage to your skis, if you are guiding a sled I doubt it is as easy. Give the boys in red a break, you might need their help some day.
Stichline had perfect cover last weekend.
hillbangin
Wanted Poster

Post by hillbangin »

daytripper wrote:
biged wrote:Why would a person on ski patrol want to trash his skis taking some yahoo down. In my opinion I would rather leave it closed until perfect cover and look the other way for some skiers. You can ski the trails and avoid damage to your skis, if you are guiding a sled I doubt it is as easy. Give the boys in red a break, you might need their help some day.
Not if you haven't skied the trail a hundred times before. That's the issue. We know where to go - where the streams are - the stumps - and the rocks. Stay left up top - move to the right in the middle. If you don't know the trail it's a nightmare.

So - I don't blame patrol for the closings - but don't pull my ticket when I am peacefully poaching a reserved trail.

Same thing with Fiddle, Dipper, Contusion, etc.
Captain Hafski
Postaholic

Post by Captain Hafski »

hillbangin wrote:
daytripper wrote:
Not if you haven't skied the trail a hundred times before. That's the issue. We know where to go - where the streams are - the stumps - and the rocks. Stay left up top - move to the right in the middle. If you don't know the trail it's a nightmare.

So - I don't blame patrol for the closings - but don't pull my ticket when I am peacefully poaching a reserved trail.

Exactly !!! Let us not forget that these trails need to be skied in [or boarded on; the John Deer snowboarder plowing does a great job on uncovering the rocks / stumps for us] a bit before other mere mortals that don't know them as well as we do are able to be on them.
Goes to show, you don't never know
Watch each card you play, and play it slow
Don't you let that deal go down
Don't you let that deal go down

Looks like its going down no matter what I do !!!
rogman
Postinator

Post by rogman »

hillbangin wrote:
daytripper wrote:

This is complete nonsense. What you are suggesting is that there be three categories of trails: Open, Closed, and only closed to Yahoos. Is this what you picture?
Patrol: This trail is closed, let's see your pass
You: But, but, but, I'm a special snowflake, I'm not a yahoo.
Patrol: Oh yes, of course, my apologies sir, carry on with your poach...

I prefer my rules to be black and white. There are trails that are closed because they really should be closed. Some are "permanently" closed for safety reasons. Top of Stitchline (which isn't actually a trail) is an obvious one; you might get kicked in the head by someone riding the lift. Go ahead and poach it, but if you get kicked in the head or busted and your pass pulled, so be it. I have no problem with either of those. But here's the issue: who decides what is semi-closed, and what's really closed?
"But I thought this trail was reserved."
"Sorry, snowflake, it's on the really closed list"
It's a bit of a nanny state thing, and I get that Killington has more than its share of Joey's, and Patrol is understaffed and overworked, but lets be honest: those nitwits from NJ are going to find a way to screw up anyway.

Still looking to understand why the following trails are closed:
Juggernaut,
Sassafras
Solitude
Rendezvous
Juggernaut Too.
All they ought to need is a groom and they are good to go. Bears are sacked out, so is there an issue we don't know about? I'll note that Lower Juggernaut was quietly removed from the map a few years ago, and there wasn't a peep. I'd like to think that won't happen with these trails. My grandson likes Rendezvous (he's four), and is disappointed that it is ungroomed and closed. Does it have something to do with the recent land sale and logging in Cherry Knoll? Or is it that Killington is trying to remove them via atrophy and apathy into a slowwww death?
brownman
Postinator

Post by brownman »

Poach discriminately. Never been a problem.
That, and wax the getaway car appropriately .. :banana:

:Toast
Forever .. Goat Path