Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Killington closed today!

Post by Highway Star »

Check the report!
"I'M YELLING BECAUSE YOU DID SOMETHING COOL!" - Humpty Dumpty

"Kzone should bill you for the bandwidth you waste writing novels to try and prove a point, but end up just looking like a deranged narcissistic fool." - Deadheadskier at madhatter

"The key is to not be lame, and know it, and not give a rat's @$$ what anybody thinks......that's real cool." - Highway Star http://goo.gl/xJxo34" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"I am one of the coolest people on the internet..." - Highway Star

"I have a tiny penis...." - C-Rex

XtremeJibber2001 - THE MAIN STREAM MEDIA HAS YOU COMPLETELY HYPNOTIZED. PLEASE WAKE UP AND LEARN HOW TO FILTER REALITY FROM BS NARRATIVES.

"Your life is only interesting when you capture the best, fakest, most curated split second version." - Team Robot regarding Instagram posters
Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Re: Killington closed today!

Post by Highway Star »

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.ph ... lDvpFko6Ba" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

NOAA has -20f at 3500ft all day, with -55f wind chills..........!

"Kzone should bill you for the bandwidth you waste writing novels to try and prove a point, but end up just looking like a deranged narcissistic fool." - Deadheadskier at madhatter

"The key is to not be lame, and know it, and not give a rat's @$$ what anybody thinks......that's real cool." - Highway Star http://goo.gl/xJxo34" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

XtremeJibber2001 - THE MAIN STREAM MEDIA HAS YOU COMPLETELY HYPNOTIZED. PLEASE WAKE UP AND LEARN HOW TO FILTER REALITY FROM BS NARRATIVES.

"Your life is only interesting when you capture the best, fakest, most curated split second version." - Team Robot regarding Instagram posters
Finn
Postaholic

Re: Killington closed today! January 6, 2018

Post by Finn »

Mike S was smart to close Killington today. The frigid cold makes havoc with metal mechanical equipment and things do break from extreme cold. All the workers that have to be outside all day to serve the skiers should not be frozen all day just for our pleasure.
Yes I love to ski and do ski everyday I am in K in any kind of weather.

SAFETY FIRST

Highway stiff oh I mean star you do not even ski at K so why do you care.....go someplace else like the Alpine zone.
rogman
Postinator

Post by rogman »

Good call.
brownman
Postinator

Post by brownman »

Darn .. was so looking forward to the hand warmer efficiency tips and the frozen goggle recommendations ..

:Toast
Forever .. Goat Path
Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Post by Highway Star »

Where exactly did I say it was a bad idea for them to close? I'm certainly not at Killington today!

Stache
Poster Child Poster

Post by Stache »

FWIW Whaleback has announced delayed opening till 11:00 AM for Saturday 01/06 and Sunday 01/07.
Stache

2018-19
Killington = 2
Whaleback = 1
Dartmouth Skiway =
SnoBrdr
Whipping Post

Post by SnoBrdr »

Highway Star wrote:Where exactly did I say it was a bad idea for them to close? I'm certainly not at Killington today!
Could we wish that this is a season long thing.
Beware of fools & trolls here, they lurk everywhere.
Powderputz
Bumper

Post by Powderputz »

On December 25, 1980, I think, the thermometer dipped to -40 degrees F. That's the day I learned that -40 degrees F is also -40 degrees C. Anyhow, they couldn't start most lifts, running only Snowshed 1 and Snowdon triple...and they reported that the summit was -135 degrees F wind chill. I don't think there were even ten people on the hill.

Management said: "We never close for any reason except a massive power failure, perhaps." Our five-day pass, purchased a day earlier (no knowledge of the impending super freeze) was not credited for the one day none of us could ski. Management held fast. However, when they saw my group was a bunch of younger teens, they relented and gave us a one-day credit. "Gee, when you guys practically needed a blow-torch to start a lift, that should kind of tell you something."

These were still the days that Gore-tex and other wind-blocking technology was in its infancy. They ran those empty lifts all day, and anyone who bought a multi-day pass was essentially screwed.

I never thought there'd be a day the mountain would close due to weather. A few years later, I was at Squaw and it r*ined...so they closed the mountain. Imagine that.
rogman
Postinator

Post by rogman »

My daughter in Alaska heard that Killington closed. It is a national story. FWIW, a LOT warmer there than the here.
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

rogman wrote:My daughter in Alaska heard that Killington closed. It is a national story. FWIW, a LOT warmer there than the here.
Any publicity is good publicity!

FWIW, Anchorage average temp for today is 23. Yesterday, today and tomorrow they are right where they should be.

Anyone hear what the observed temp and winds were today at the peak or KBL? Yesterday, the thermometer at the K1 top shack was bubbled into a dozen sections, impossible to read.
Guy in Shorts
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by Guy in Shorts »

Mister Moose wrote:
rogman wrote:My daughter in Alaska heard that Killington closed. It is a national story. FWIW, a LOT warmer there than the here.
Any publicity is good publicity!

FWIW, Anchorage average temp for today is 23. Yesterday, today and tomorrow they are right where they should be.

Anyone hear what the observed temp and winds were today at the peak or KBL? Yesterday, the thermometer at the K1 top shack was bubbled into a dozen sections, impossible to read.
Pretty sure the Friday Afternoon when they shutdown was about the coldest.
If my words did glow with the gold of sunshine.
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

I had to go to the ski club this morning to get my gear so I could ski at Pico and I had to fight the wind to get up the hill. No idea what the temperature was at that time but I made sure I was fully covered when I headed up there.
da Pimp
Double Diamond Skidder

Post by da Pimp »

Plenty of room at Pico on Saturday, three lower lifts running gave you good skiing/riding. Short hike up to the Outpost chair head, ski the liftline for fresh windblown bumps. Hardly any wind, sunny but still frigid. Dress smart and you would have found a great day. Snow surfaces were real slow and even the windblown parts were stiff. Still better than most days. Liftline was fun, got you warmed up. There was not a single square foot of scrape to be seen.

I wish the summit chair was running, but overall it was nice. Lodge was full, seemed to be 80% young people 18-30, most were underdressed but I heard no complaints. Should have been big posters at the K lodges to try Pico, or at least tell the ambassadors so they could spread the good word. Oh well we all survived one day and thankfully the patrollers, lifties and customers without a clue did not have to suffer.
Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Post by Highway Star »

I recall a day or two in early December in the last decade where they had to shut down for major r*in outs, but I think that had more do with spot loss of cover and icing.