Killington closed today!

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

Guy in Shorts
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Re: Killington closed today!

Post by Guy in Shorts »

Highway Star wrote:I recall a day or two in early December in the last decade where they had to shut down for major r*in outs, but I think that had more do with spot loss of cover and icing.
There was a late spring day a few years back were thunder and lighting kept the mountain closed but this is the first time that I can remember the mountain being closed for cold. Weather right before they closed at 3PM on Friday seemed worse than Saturday’s weather. Buddy riding the Skye Peak Quad said the chairs were swinging so bad he was concerned for his safety. My favorite time to ski is the middle of the storm just when you think weather conditions can’t get any worse that is when the Beast shines IMHO.
If my words did glow with the gold of sunshine.
Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Post by Stormchaser »

Highway Star wrote:I recall a day or two in early December in the last decade where they had to shut down for major r*in outs, but I think that had more do with spot loss of cover and icing.
They closed for the massive freezing r*in storm the weekend of their 50th anniversary event. Only complete weather closure I can recall...
ImageImageImageImage
Bob-Z
Beginner On Rentals

Post by Bob-Z »

I Applaud Killington's management for making a responsible safety decision, even thou I'm sure the Mtn. accountants would not agree.

As you know, Christmas - New Years week was disastrous in New England, because of the Arctic Temps & very little skier/rider turn-out. Ski Areas count on this Holiday income to support their bottom Line & operations for the rest of the season.

For Killington to make this tuff decision immediately after a poor Holiday week, I'm impressed.

Live to Ski/Ride another Day ! ! !
:P
Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Post by Stormchaser »

Bob-Z wrote:I Applaud Killington's management for making a responsible safety decision, even thou I'm sure the Mtn. accountants would not agree.

As you know, Christmas - New Years week was disastrous in New England, because of the Arctic Temps & very little skier/rider turn-out. Ski Areas count on this Holiday income to support their bottom Line & operations for the rest of the season.

For Killington to make this tuff decision immediately after a poor Holiday week, I'm impressed.

They likely would have lost more money running. Sunday had very light customer traffic as well, but did see a few day tickets out there. College week?
ImageImageImageImage
Dr. NO
Signature Poster

Post by Dr. NO »

Stormchaser wrote:
Bob-Z wrote:I Applaud Killington's management for making a responsible safety decision, even thou I'm sure the Mtn. accountants would not agree.

They likely would have lost more money running. Sunday had very light customer traffic as well, but did see a few day tickets out there. College week?
College week is a mid week happening, Jan 8 to Jan 12.
MUST STOP POSTING ! MUST STOP POSTING !

Shut up and Ski!

Why's Everybody Always Pickin on Me?
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

Stormchaser wrote:

Exactly, if they thought they could have made money they would hAve been open.
specialp
Green Skidder

Post by specialp »

They definitely would have and did lose money. They had a full staff there when we went to check my friend's 6yr old daughter into ski school. There were only 2 people there besides us though as far as customers. Exiting the car at Ramshead base was 40mph winds and -16f temp. It was absolutely brutal. We went over to Pico which had less wind but same temperatures. It did not warm up at all during the day despite mixed sunshine. Anyone who went out on Sunday and thought it was cold well it felt balmy compared to Saturday. I saw a few K season pass holders at Pico, including someone with a 100 day pass, in the lodge. There were probably a few hundred people at Pico tops. I saw lift mechanics at the summit chair but they sadly never opened it. Pico was an excellent experience for the 6 year old. The Ski School was nice and a bit cheaper to boot.

Bottom line is the gondolas/detachables would never come online with the winds, and would you want to put your life on the line on the Snowdon quad? If that lift would have stopped for any period of time it would have been an urgent emergency. And God knows what the summit wind/temperature was. Being that it was -3 for us in the valley, and -16 at Ramshead base, I'd imagine it was much colder at the top. Sunday was the opposite. It was -10 in the valley, and -3 at K1.
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

Question, if you get scanned at Pico, does it count towards your Killington day total? Would suck if you made your 100 days but only had 99 because one was at Pico.
Dr. NO
Signature Poster

Post by Dr. NO »

daytripper wrote:Question, if you get scanned at Pico, does it count towards your Killington day total? Would suck if you made your 100 days but only had 99 because one was at Pico.
PICO counts as Killington. Skied several days over there with shortski on not so pleasant days and his count went up. You can always just ask the liftie how many days you have after he / she scans you.
MUST STOP POSTING ! MUST STOP POSTING !

Shut up and Ski!

Why's Everybody Always Pickin on Me?
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

I skied at Pico on Saturday and when the lifting scanned me I asked him the count and it was the same as if I had skied Killington.
Big Bob
Postinator

Post by Big Bob »

daytripper wrote:
Stormchaser wrote:

I wonder if they were able to sell the power the did not use back to GMP for a profit since the spot market has been high during the cold snap?
2 hours and 10-minute drive to K
2023/2024 Ski Days: 33 days for the season
Killington: 12/14, 1/4, 1/9, 1/11, 1/17, 1/23, 1/31, 2/5, 2/20, 2/26, 3/4, 3/20, 3/25, 4/2, 4/5
Loon: 11/29, 12/8, 12/21, 1/8, 1/19, 1/22,1/30, 2/7, 2/15, 3/1, 3/8, 3/22, 4/14
Sunday River: 3/12
Sugarloaf: 3/13, 3/14
Cannon:1/15, 2/22
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

Big Bob wrote:
daytripper wrote:
Stormchaser wrote:

I wonder if they were able to sell the power the did not use back to GMP for a profit since the spot market has been high during the cold snap?
I don't think that's the way the GMP contract works.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe