Early Sunday

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Early Sunday

Post by Stormchaser »

Scoured groomers wall to wall. Ice death moguls with zero snow. Crusty wind pack in the woods. Low rider good up top. Best of day so far. Pretty disappointing.
ImageImageImageImage
hillbangin
Wanted Poster

Re: Early Sunday

Post by hillbangin »

Stormchaser wrote:Scoured groomers wall to wall. Ice death moguls with zero snow. Crusty wind pack in the woods. Low rider good up top. Best of day so far. Pretty disappointing.
Good thing there's r*in coming end of the week to soften it up :bang :bang :bang :bang :bang :bang :bang :bang :bang :bang :bang :bang :bang :bang :bang :bang :bang :bang :bang :bang :bang :bang :bang :bang :bang
MrsG
Whipping Post

Post by MrsG »

Pipe issues keeping us off mountain today - guess we're not missing anything :P
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

MrsG wrote:Pipe issues keeping us off mountain today - guess we're not missing anything :P
Cue Humpty ☺️
LINYbob
Bumper

Post by LINYbob »

MrsG wrote:Pipe issues keeping us off mountain today - guess we're not missing anything :P
??? problem with the half pipe?
random1
Blue Chatterbox

Post by random1 »

I’m rather enjoying it today. Fast editable groomers, just took a look at outer limits, that’s next after my afternoon coffee break.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

11-2 shift. beautiful sun, low single digits and less wind. very comfortable bear & needles but still cold elsewhere. yup groomers were hard packed. probably the most impressive park i've seen on dreammaker and how bout the entrance into lower vertigo from the crossover. nats were a mixed bag and in some cases depended what side of the trail you skied on. very few good bumps on the hill and some trails would be helped by getting skied in more. stayed out of the trees today. doesn't feel like we just got a foot of snow. looking forward to the warmup until it gets too warm later in the week. can't win.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
PinnacleJim
Slalom Racer

Post by PinnacleJim »

Afternoon shift (12:45 to 3:45). Stayed on Bear and Needles side. Lots of white concrete, but some decent snow also. Depended on where there had been wind scouring and where the drifts ended up. On many trails center and one side was bullet proof and the other side had soft snow. Did find some nice bumps on Upper Dream Maker and on Upper Wildfire. OL did not look like fun. Place sure didn't ski like it just got a foot of snow and had been closed for a day.
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

I was out at 9 AM and my first run was down Upper East Fall and East Fall where I found a mixture of groomed and fresh snow. Wanted to sample Escapade but a guy I was riding the K1 told me that the lower part of Cascade was horrible so I passed on it. I was going to ski upper Royal Flush to Royal Flush but the Poma was not running at that time so I ended up skiing Mouse Trap which was pretty solid grooming. Decided to sample Breakaway which was very nice as I was one of the first ones down it - in some deep snow you did have to break through. Passed on skiing OL as it looked quite firm. Instead opted to ski the Fiddle and I was part of the crew breaking things up there. You did have to watch out for the rocks but it skied nicely. Wish I could have done it a second time but I was limited on time. Also skied Bear Claw and Wildfire and they both skied fast. Skyburst looked like another fast one from the chair. Enjoyed skiing Upper Dreammaker, Thimble and Vertigo from the top. Cruise Control had soft snow on the left side and the same thing on Needles. Skyhawk had a lot of snow on the left side too. Same with Skylark. Old Superstar also had some very nice soft snow, middle Superstar was a fast groomer and lower was quite slick. Bittersweet skied pretty well too. Decided to go back up the K1 and this time I headed for the Glades where I really enjoyed North Ridge and after that I finished with a wonderful run down Royal Flush. Short day for me as tomorrow I am heading to Jackson Hole for a week where I hope some snow will arrive to refresh things.
RustyK
Whipping Post

Post by RustyK »

tyrolean_skier wrote: Short day for me as tomorrow I am heading to Jackson Hole for a week where I hope some snow will arrive to refresh things.

Mike sure iceman gets a shot of you dropping into Corbits!

Where is Happy Hour ?
Captain Hafski
Poster Child Poster

Post by Captain Hafski »

Not sure where Stormy was skiing but sounds like we made better choices sticking mostly to the high elevation nats that were out of the recent winds and avoiding the areas we discussed from last Friday [e.g., Bear Mountain and the Superstar ridge].

Afternoon Report: Excellent day with slightly moderated temperatures [though still needed face mask]. Hill was empty with no lines anywhere even though they were not running all of the lifts.

ROTD: Stitchline TTB. Love this trail when its good. Great cover yet not completly skied in yet. Thus, very soft snow [!!] yet the lines haven't completely developed yet.

Others in the Needle's Eye area: Upper Dream Maker excellent and a do over. Expect it was probably better in the afternoon than the morning. Cruise Control was outstanding all the way down the left side as a previous poster noted. Thimble still skiing well along with the Vertigo Headwall. Took my first lap on Steps which had better than average cover but could stand being skied in more [get out there and do you part]. A lot of blowdown including one large pine tree near the start. All in all, great skiing at Needle's Eye area as long as you avoided things like Panic Button, and nice to have the gondi with no lines on it.

Intentionally avoided most of the SS area due to expected firmness from the Friday winds. DId one lap down old SS [very good, but not as good as last week] and middle O was OK. Debated on taking one for the team but chose to bypass lower O and was rewarded with very good skiing far left of lower SS. The stretch under the lift is open right after the lower O escape route and very good all the way down to the roped off bag area.

North Ridge has the best snow on the mountain and a definite do over. Highline still very good on the right side.

South RIdge was excellent with Breakaway being the better choice over Pipe Dream. Nice to abe able to ski right onto the SPE to get out of there.

For the finale, Valley Plunge [now open along with Touchdown] is also excellent and the leach field poweder run pretty good [hard to keep speed up as it is settling in].

All in all, a great day out there. Can't wait until tomorrow [today] to get the goods on Snowdon with the warmer weather and acceptability of riding the chairs there.
Goes to show, you don't never know
Watch each card you play, and play it slow
Don't you let that deal go down

Looks like its going down no matter what I do !!!
Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Post by Stormchaser »

Afternoon shift was much betterer. Anarchy ridge skied very well, though didn't find much snow from the last storm. Stash woods skied well. Bear groomers improved to edgeable. Skyhawk bump line was challenging and fun with enough soft snow to push your limits. Weird crusty ice layer in places on mid elevation woods. Thimble/Old needles good once they were skied in. Personal cabin service on the Skyship. Stichline, Vertigo pretty decent.

I honestly went out after lunch expecting one and done, but stayed to the bell. Tale of two cities.
ImageImageImageImage
Captain Hafski
Poster Child Poster

Post by Captain Hafski »

Stormchaser wrote:Afternoon shift was much betterer. Anarchy ridge skied very well, though didn't find much snow from the last storm. Stash woods skied well. Bear groomers improved to edgeable. Skyhawk bump line was challenging and fun with enough soft snow to push your limits. Weird crusty ice layer in places on mid elevation woods. Thimble/Old needles good once they were skied in. Personal cabin service on the Skyship. Stichline, Vertigo pretty decent.

I honestly went out after lunch expecting one and done, but stayed to the bell. Tale of two cities.
Great to hear you got back on the horse !! I was pretty surprised by your first post.
Goes to show, you don't never know
Watch each card you play, and play it slow

Looks like its going down no matter what I do !!!
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

RustyK wrote:
tyrolean_skier wrote: Short day for me as tomorrow I am heading to Jackson Hole for a week where I hope some snow will arrive to refresh things.

Mike sure iceman gets a shot of you dropping into Corbits!

Corbet’s Is currently closed.
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

Stormchaser wrote:Afternoon shift was much betterer. Anarchy ridge skied very well, though didn't find much snow from the last storm. Stash woods skied well. Bear groomers improved to edgeable. Skyhawk bump line was challenging and fun with enough soft snow to push your limits. Weird crusty ice layer in places on mid elevation woods. Thimble/Old needles good once they were skied in. Personal cabin service on the Skyship. Stichline, Vertigo pretty decent.

:like