Message from John Cumming, POWDR CEO

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

RustyK
Whipping Post

Message from John Cumming, POWDR CEO

Post by RustyK »

Why the friendly letter now? It was nice though.

This is an exciting time of year for those of us who love and live for mountain adventure. The anticipation of winter is over. The mountains are covered in snow and another exciting and longest season in the East is underway at Killington.

I am proud to be leading POWDR, a family owned and operated business and Killington’s parent company, particularly amidst the recent ski industry acquisitions and consolidations. We are one of the last standing independent ski companies with multiple world-class mountains, including our community gems in Vermont, Killington and Pico. My brother David and I grew up in the mountains and in mountain communities, and became who we are today because of our formative years spent skiing together with our family. My deep appreciation of the mountain life was the impetus for me to become a Mount Rainier climbing guide, to be a founding shareholder at Mountain Hardwear and later to found and grow our family ski company.

Across POWDR, we take great pride in our attention to the long game, and on protecting and enhancing the local vibe of each property and the wellbeing of our environment. We are focused on creating the best local experience possible at Killington, and at each POWDR resort, so that outdoor enthusiasts, like you and me, may enjoy the adventure lifestyle for generations to come.

As a kid who learned to ski on mountains in Utah, I often thought of Killington as a mystical beast of the East. I grew to admire Pres Smith, Killington’s founder, for the incredible things he did for the industry. Pres developed Killington as a great place to both learn and excel, and his contagious charisma and passion are still part of the resort’s culture today.

As a passholder, you already know that Killington is a first-rate, one-of-a-kind resort. Its uncomplicated access to authentic mountain adventure, longest season in the east, and world-class events like the Women’s World Cup make it a wonderful proving ground and community asset. Not to mention the phenomenal staff, led by general manager Mike Solimano, who deliver a top-notch Vermont experience.

Our desire for future generations to do the things they love, with the ones they love, is what inspires us every day. We are extremely grateful you choose Killington, and wish you a safe and wonderful season.

Hope to see you on the mountain,
John

JOHN D. CUMMING
Founder and CEO, POWDR

Not sure what he looks like?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIiTL6uU_PU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Where is Happy Hour ?
da Pimp
Double Diamond Skidder

Re: Message from John Cumming, POWDR CEO

Post by da Pimp »

Good intentions for sure. Just show us the investment that the other POWDR properties get. If they think that Killington has indeed been getting the right investments, they are dead wrong.

The "tune" of that letter seems far different than their stated intentions when they first came to town. I think it still bugs POWDR that their strategy of lowering volume, shortening the season, raising prices for higher profit margins did not work out as they wished. Hey, this is the management group that lost their flagship mountain Park City due to a paperwork oversight. "Oh, you mean the land lease that we base all of our operations on is up, actually is already expired? Oops-" I'm sure they had good intentions to come to a new lease agreement (although at significantly more costly terms) but those good intentions fell far short. Another case of knowing what they wanted, but did not execute very well at how to achieve it. So it cost them millions a year in annual profit forever.

The overall tone of that message is that POWDR is here to stay. So I will have to forget about their shortCummings and enjoy their strong suits.
Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Post by Highway Star »

Huh, that's not what I received...... :roll:

------------------------------------------

Dear Highway Star,

Stop being a dick on the internet.

John

JOHN D. CUMMING
Founder and CEO, POWDR
"I'M YELLING BECAUSE YOU DID SOMETHING COOL!" - Humpty Dumpty

"Kzone should bill you for the bandwidth you waste writing novels to try and prove a point, but end up just looking like a deranged narcissistic fool." - Deadheadskier at madhatter

"The key is to not be lame, and know it, and not give a rat's @$$ what anybody thinks......that's real cool." - Highway Star http://goo.gl/xJxo34" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"I am one of the coolest people on the internet..." - Highway Star

"I have a tiny penis...." - C-Rex

XtremeJibber2001 - THE MAIN STREAM MEDIA HAS YOU COMPLETELY HYPNOTIZED. PLEASE WAKE UP AND LEARN HOW TO FILTER REALITY FROM BS NARRATIVES.

"Your life is only interesting when you capture the best, fakest, most curated split second version." - Team Robot regarding Instagram posters
Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Post by Stormchaser »

Highway Star wrote:Huh, that's not what I received...... :roll:

------------------------------------------

Dear Highway Star,

Stop being a dick on the internet.

John

JOHN D. CUMMING
Founder and CEO, POWDR
I chuckled. Good one!
ImageImageImageImage
rogman
Postinator

Post by rogman »

The skiing out west must suck worse than I thought if he's paying attention to Killington. OMG, He might even be forced to ski here. Sorry. I just had to get that bit of cynicism off my chest. Overall I've found at the corporate level POWDR to be incredibly opaque, generally to their detriment. They would be better served to be more involved with their stake/pass holders. The lack of information breeds speculation and mistrust. So I'll view this as a good start. Does it change anything? Not really, but it does put a more human face on POWDR. It's a real guy, not a collection of whispered anecdotes.

It's fair to say they came in with a good deal of arrogance and made some collosal blunders. But they've rectified and recinded many of those poor decisions. Time to let that go. They've invested 5 million a year; wish it were six. Not happening. But I look at the problems Sunday River is having with Boyne, and whatever else, it could be worse. It's nice to see that Mike has convinced corporate that the "longest season in the East" branding is worth it. I hope this is the start of a more open POWDR, not a one off, never to be repeated.
GSKI
Powderhound

Post by GSKI »

After this its all uphill from here:

https://snowbrains.com/park-city-execut ... nder-ever/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PinnacleJim
Slalom Racer

Post by PinnacleJim »

As a Copper 4-pack holder, I got a very similar email from Powdr this fall. Major difference is that they were able to brag about the capital investments (new HS Quad, RFID pass technology, longest coaster in North America). I guess we will have to happy with a South Ridge fixed grip chair for next season.
Dr. NO
Signature Poster

Post by Dr. NO »

PinnacleJim wrote:As a Copper 4-pack holder, I got a very similar email from Powdr this fall. Major difference is that they were able to brag about the capital investments (new HS Quad, RFID pass technology, longest coaster in North America). I guess we will have to happy with a South Ridge fixed grip chair for next season.
South Fridge Chair sounds like a nice addition. It reconnects Bear and Skye Peak with the front side, Superstar, K1, Snowdon and Pico / Snoshed without a long HIKE!
MUST STOP POSTING ! MUST STOP POSTING !

Shut up and Ski!

Why's Everybody Always Pickin on Me?
Finn
Postaholic

Post by Finn »

Peeps let's be positive as all pass holders received the email from CEO John Cummings. Maybe a first. Those that are always so negative with their comments..give POWDR a break. Highway star you don't even ski here and you were very childish like with your comments. I do agree that K is the cash cow and the money made goes to corporate who then decides to spend the money.
Looking forward to a great 2018 ski year. :banana:
Captain Hafski
Postaholic

Post by Captain Hafski »

Finn wrote:Peeps let's be positive as all pass holders received the email from CEO John Cummings. Maybe a first. Those that are always so negative with their comments..give POWDR a break. Highway star you don't even ski here and you were very childish like with your comments. I do agree that K is the cash cow and the money made goes to corporate who then decides to spend the money.
Looking forward to a great 2018 ski year. :banana:
Come on now Finn. I agree with you for the most part. However, calling out Highway Star was a bit out of line. That's the best post we've ever seen from him I believe.

Even if he does have a small penis.
Goes to show, you don't never know
Watch each card you play, and play it slow
Don't you let that deal go down
Don't you let that deal go down

Looks like its going down no matter what I do !!!
Humpty Dumpty
Post Office

Post by Humpty Dumpty »

RustyK wrote: Hope to see you on the mountain,
John

JOHN D. CUMMING
Founder and CEO, POWDR
Hey! Is he trying to make time with my best girl? He has a name similar to mine! HUMPTY B. CUMMING. At least that's what I told my date recently when we were frozen in at the Mt. Washington observatory on Saturday.

Oh Dorsal. The sweet love down by the fire. How I miss you already. Sorry I had to beat feet so fast once the weather broke. Had to get to the clinic.
Finn
Postaholic

Post by Finn »

Regarding general comments about HWYstar
Body parts I do not care nor do I want to know.
da Pimp
Double Diamond Skidder

Post by da Pimp »

Funny how I have had a full pass at Killington for years and never got the Cumming email. Read about it here on KZone. Must be on their S- list for not bowing enough to the POWDR flag.
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

da Pimp wrote:Funny how I have had a full pass at Killington for years and never got the Cumming email. Read about it here on KZone. Must be on their S- list for not bowing enough to the POWDR flag.
My wife got one; I didn't.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Humpty Dumpty
Post Office

Post by Humpty Dumpty »

Finn wrote:Regarding general comments about HWYstar
Body parts I do not care nor do I want to know.
Fun knee. That's a little white lie Finn. You wouldn't know that from hanging with you the other night.

I got some penicillin, so can't wait for next time.

C U soon.

Your ever loving Humpty.