Monday, Jan 8 . . .

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

MrsG
Whipping Post

Monday, Jan 8 . . .

Post by MrsG »

Well after Killington closed Saturday, and broken water pipes Sunday, finally got out again today - almost balmy - what a nice time . . . skied with Doria, and got to experience almost perfect conditions for groomers - an inch of soft on top of groomer tracks. Snowmaking on upper Vertigo, and appeared to be guns on Double Dipper too!! Everything at Bear, Needles (lift running rather than Skyship), Sup skied smoothly - avoided the ungroomed after reading and hearing about Sunday's conditions. Also, lower Sup looked scraped, so skipped, but middle looked nice. Once again, others will have to report from K1 to Snowdon :wink:

Was nice to be out there not looking like the "Michelin Man" :mrgreen:
Dr. NO
Signature Poster

Re: Monday, Jan 8 . . .

Post by Dr. NO »

Was the Skyship running from Rt 4? Probably takes more bodies to run the gondolas vs. the chair.
MUST STOP POSTING ! MUST STOP POSTING !

Shut up and Ski!

Why's Everybody Always Pickin on Me?
SnoBrdr
Whipping Post

Post by SnoBrdr »

Dr. NO wrote:Was the Skyship running from Rt 4? Probably takes more bodies to run the gondolas vs. the chair.
Skyeship Express Gondola Stage II and K-1 Express Gondola are on hold.

As of 3:20 for some reason.
Beware of fools & trolls here, they lurk everywhere.
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

heard the outpost chair was running on a rare weekday so a trip to pico was in order. way better than k sunday and in fact maybe a top 5 day for the season for me. none of the scouring and wind loading like at k. place empty. the 1" lasted all day. 49'er skied well and summit glade except for a few thin areas was a packed/pow run. the real action was in the outpost. kept lapping them working my way across the ridge. well covered with zero scratch or ice. dare i say western-like. the tree run doozie was skied in to perfection. other tree zones had relatively few tracks going through and required more work.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
RustyK
Whipping Post

Post by RustyK »

skiadikt wrote:heard the outpost chair was running on a rare weekday so a trip to pico was in order.
So they listened to Captain Hafski's comment on Sunday and ran the Outpost today?

Sorry I missed it...again...

Why wasn't the Outpost chair running? There was no wind even at the top of it. Had this chair been running, it could have been a phenomenal day. As Ty mentioned, several K regulars were there; we would have skied that side of the mountain in nicely and would have had great bumps to play on. As it was, the Outpost trails did not see a lot of traffic due to the small 'hike' involved in getting there. This chair should have been running.
Where is Happy Hour ?
PinnacleJim
Slalom Racer

Post by PinnacleJim »

Nice to have comfortable temps (20s) after this past weekend. K skied much better than yesterday. Much less white concrete. Big issue was the wind which kept the Stage II Skyeship closed and shut down the K1 for the afternoon. Where the snow had collected, there was some really nice snow to be had. A mid-morning run down Southridge revealed great snow on Breakaway (ROTD for me). At least they started up the Needles Quad with the Stage II down as Stitchline has some pretty nice cover and was skiing great. Noticed the Patrol dropped the rope on the Skye Peak Quad liftline late morning. Not many ropes left to drop!
brownman
Postinator

Post by brownman »

SPQ liftline full of pow from the gate.
Many wooded protected areas remain virgin.
K1 appeared to close early. Likely wind related.
Lower left O was most excellent :like
Stitched a couple .. light stepped it :wink:
Vertigo top was sopping wet .. outa there fast.
Very comfortable on the south ridge :like
Dread what Jug will look like next year :sad:

:Toast
Forever .. Goat Path
santaclaus
Beginner On Rentals

Post by santaclaus »

nice side-country action this afternoon at pico. maybe 12 people on the hill, perfect.
Captain Hafski
Postaholic

Post by Captain Hafski »

Mid morning -> closing bell Pico report: Good to be retired and get in some time at the Outpost when they decide to turn it on.

Best day of the season for me. Note: I expect the K was just as good if you stuck to the Nats and stuff that was out of the wind last week. I was planning to lap Snowdon all day today which I will now do tomorrow.

ROTD: The post session Sip of Sunshine [etc.] at my friend's condo at the base after our last descent.

Didn't hit a bad trail. A-Slope is skied in pretty nicely for a warm up run. Several runs off the summit were all good. Best non-OP run was upper Pike which looked like it was getting better each lift ride up with no one skiing it. My first run down it left side was best run of the season for me so far. Second run almost as good.

Did the upper Giant Killer -> Working Man's Chute [GD reference intended] -> Upper Poma Woods that was pretty darn good. Still have to be a bit careful out there as cover is not bottomless.

Outpost runs were all good. Great cover on pipeline with wind drifted snow skiers right, even on the 'steep section' at the top. Sidewinder, Bronco, Stampede, etc. were all do-overs.

Good 5-hour non-stop day ending with a final Summit Glade - Summit Woods - Exhibition- > cracking open the Sip of S at about 4:30.

What's more: No face mask, gloves vs. mittens, etc. Narry a lift slowdown / stoppage scored an extra point today.

Mrs. G [and others]: FWIW: The nats [at K] are great depending on their exposure. Just saying. Can be night an day depending on trail selection after last weeks [and tonight it seems] winds. Try Great Bear if you haven't been on it for a while.
Goes to show, you don't never know
Watch each card you play, and play it slow
Don't you let that deal go down
Don't you let that deal go down

Looks like its going down no matter what I do !!!
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

Captain Hafski wrote: Mrs. G [and others]: FWIW: The nats [at K] are great depending on their exposure. Just saying. Can be night an day depending on trail selection after last weeks [and tonight it seems] winds. Try [insert trail name here] if you haven't been on it for a while.
I will happily pay you a Sip O Sunshine if you stop marketing that trail. Along with [insert trail name here] and [insert trail name here]. It's all about OL, Supe and lower O, don'cha know?
Humpty Dumpty
Post Office

Post by Humpty Dumpty »

MrsG wrote:
Was nice to be out there not looking like the "Michelin Man" :mrgreen:
Like Dorsal in a bikini?
hillbangin
Wanted Poster

Post by hillbangin »

Mister Moose wrote:
Captain Hafski wrote: Mrs. G [and others]: FWIW: The nats [at K] are great depending on their exposure. Just saying. Can be night an day depending on trail selection after last weeks [and tonight it seems] winds. Try [insert trail name here] if you haven't been on it for a while.
I will happily pay you a Sip O Sunshine if you stop marketing that trail. Along with [insert trail name here] and [insert trail name here]. It's all about OL, Supe and lower O, don'cha know?
No worries - nobody knows where it is because you have to take that slow crappy chair with no line to get to it.