West ski resorts struggling with snowless winter

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

RustyK
Whipping Post

West ski resorts struggling with snowless winter

Post by RustyK »

I didn't know it was that bad out there.....geez...

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/b ... 17659.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

UPDATED JANUARY 08, 2018 04:15 PM

SANTA FE, N.M.
A snowless winter has pushed much of New Mexico into drought conditions and has left many ski resort workers unemployed or underworked.

The lack of snow has raised concerns about the volume of water it will take to keep slopes covered throughout the season if storm systems don't arrive.

Ski Santa Fe, which has a seasonal average of 225 inches of natural snowfall, has had only 7 inches so far this winter. It has a calendar-year allotment of 22.7 million gallons of water for snowmaking, Ski Santa Fe spokesman Steven Trafk said.

Temperatures often have been too high for snowmaking, even on mountain peaks. Outside of the man-made snow officials have been dumping on ski areas since November, most slopes in the West remain dry.

A manager at the Pajarito Mountain Ski Area in Los Alamos said the workforce has been cut in half, with just two of six lifts running.

It's not too late for an arctic blast to swoop in and salvage the current season. But the outlook for such a turnaround doesn't appear likely, The Santa Fe New Mexican reported .

Andrew Church, a meteorologist with National Weather Service in Albuquerque, said he expects the next couple of months to be "closer to climatological averages" than the region has seen so far this winter. But the average snowfall for January in the Santa Fe area is a mere 4 inches.

"Unless the storm systems continue," Church said, ". we are going to be looking at a snowpack that's far below average."

The latest report from the U.S. Drought Monitor shows 5 percent of New Mexico has plunged into severe drought.

Neighboring states are suffering similar conditions.

Snow conditions have been so bad in parts of Colorado, the Aspen Skiing Co. set up a soup kitchen last month to provide free meals to underworked employees.

"As long as we can't get those guys fully employed, we'll keep feeding them," a company spokesperson told The Aspen Times.

Even if storms don't bring powder, Angel Fire Resort spokeswoman Krysty Ronchetti said the New Mexico resort has no plans of shutting down.

"We're fully prepared to make snow the whole season if we need to," she said.
Where is Happy Hour ?
hillbangin
Wanted Poster

Re: West ski resorts struggling with snowless winter

Post by hillbangin »

Vail = less than 1/2 open

Snowbird - no Mineral Basin and only 100 inches of snow

Jackson - hobacks are closed and most of Casper Bowl

Squaw - 1/2 open

Revi - All open

Not good out there - XMas was a disaster
PinnacleJim
Slalom Racer

Post by PinnacleJim »

Northern Rockies OK, southern Rockies (especially New Mexico) is bad. Colorado is doing a bit better in recent weeks, especially the higher elevation areas of Summit County.
Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Post by Highway Star »

Reports say that Vail will soon be installing 100% snowmaking:

"We at Vail Resorts are proud to announce 100% by 2020, a revolutionary initiative where we will install 5000 snowguns, 400 miles of snowmaking pipe, 80 large air compressors, and 50,000 GPM of water pumping capacity to make VAIL the first large resort in western North America with 100% snowmaking coverage. At a cost of nearly $200 Million Dollars, this initiative will ensure exceptional coverage and conditions for Vail's valued customers. Giant custom designed snow cannons with 1000 GPM output and 300 yard throw are currently in development for use in Vail's signature Back Bowls. Walk up ticket prices will increase only slightly, to an estimated $300 per day. Buy your Epic Pass now!"

Just think about it. 5000+ glorious acres of icy hardpack!
"I'M YELLING BECAUSE YOU DID SOMETHING COOL!" - Humpty Dumpty

"Kzone should bill you for the bandwidth you waste writing novels to try and prove a point, but end up just looking like a deranged narcissistic fool." - Deadheadskier at madhatter

"The key is to not be lame, and know it, and not give a rat's @$$ what anybody thinks......that's real cool." - Highway Star http://goo.gl/xJxo34" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"I am one of the coolest people on the internet..." - Highway Star

"I have a tiny penis...." - C-Rex

XtremeJibber2001 - THE MAIN STREAM MEDIA HAS YOU COMPLETELY HYPNOTIZED. PLEASE WAKE UP AND LEARN HOW TO FILTER REALITY FROM BS NARRATIVES.

"Your life is only interesting when you capture the best, fakest, most curated split second version." - Team Robot regarding Instagram posters
brownman
Postinator

Post by brownman »

Return to a zonal flow assures more normalized weather .. Everywhere :like

As Pinochle Jim indicates, northern Rockies are OK.
Next several days will transform that to Excellent.
All part of 'my little plan' :banana:

Vail snowmaking plan for the bowls is dickulous :dislike
Spend the $200M on acquiring more resorts for the portfolio.
PWDR has proven, slim return on infrastructure investment.

:Toast
Forever .. Goat Path
RENO
Whipping Post

Post by RENO »

100% snowmaking at Vail is BS! :lol:
wannabeskibum
Bumper

Post by wannabeskibum »

hillbangin wrote:Vail = less than 1/2 open

Snowbird - no Mineral Basin and only 100 inches of snow

Jackson - hobacks are closed and most of Casper Bowl

Squaw - 1/2 open

Revi - All open

Not good out there - XMas was a disaster

Lake Tahoe also very little snow - I cancelled my trip for this week to Tahoe. Weather pattern is changing after this weekend - storm door should be opening for the west.
Skis - Blizzard Brahma 88, Nordica Enforcer 104
Age - over 45 years @ Killington
SnoBrdr
Whipping Post

Post by SnoBrdr »

Big snows come to California — finally — ahead of long holiday weekend

http://www.latimes.com/travel/deals/la- ... story.html
Beware of fools & trolls here, they lurk everywhere.
boston_e
Postaholic

Post by boston_e »

There is no snow in the West because this is the year I booked a trip to Utah for the family.
Don't Killington Pico
spanky
Site Admin

Post by spanky »

I just got back from 8 days of skiing Alta/Snowbird. Even given the limited open terrain, we still had 7 days of sunshine and mid-30’s temps and one powder day. All with non-existent crowds. I’d say that still beat the frigid temps on the EC last week.
Never argue with idiots. They will bring you down to their level, then overwhelm you with their experience.

"I have noticed that when you post, you often say more about yourself than the topic you chose to speak about." -The Suit
RustyK
Whipping Post

Post by RustyK »

Today's snow conditions
Squaw Valley Ski Resort: Open

Snow Variable

Open trails 73/110

Open lifts 29/42

Base 18" r*in Showers 36°F
SW 11 mph

Summit 37" Snow 29°F
SW 11 mph
Where is Happy Hour ?
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

I’m at Jackson Hole right now and even though the lower parts of the mountain are closed due to lack of snow, the upper part has plenty of areas with snow to ski. You do have to watch for rocks and stuff. It snowed yesterday and we got 6” at elevation last night but r*in/ice fell in the village. Getting ready to go out. Locals complaining that it’s not like last year.