Jackon Hole update from Ty

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

icedtea
Guru Poster

Re: Jackon Hole update from Ty

Post by icedtea »

tyrolean_skier wrote:Tram started loading around 10 but we had to wait a while before it was our turn. Got off it and Rendezvous Bowl was a complete whiteout due to the heavy winds up there. I think I got vertigo since I could not tell which way was down. Kept skiing down a little at a time and finally got down. Very heavy snow had fallen ( 8 inches reported). Steeps where your friend. Woods were great. We found that it took longer to get one run in than yesterday. Iceman enjoyed skiing the Alta Shutes while I would ski some other terrain nearby. It’s been snowing all day so visibility was better in the trees. We skied their Cascade but this one is much steeper than ours. Hoping that the snow that fell last night drains and that the snow that is falling now is lighter.
I dropped off the tram last season in the middle of the storm that closed the resort for a week. Intense winds. Had to drive through Idaho to get to Montana as the passed was closed.
"To have the truth in your possession you can be found guilty, sentenced to death."
Peter Tosh
G-smashed
Official KZone Historian

Post by G-smashed »

RustyK wrote:Million Dollar Cowboy Bar!
:dislike They had no taps! How can you have any good beer if you don't have no taps?
Mangy Moose has plenty of taps.

Don't Deer Valley Killington!
http://www.myeloma.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.ffrf.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.keithrichards.com/
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

f.a.s.t. wrote:Please post some pictures if you can?
My phone died yesterday from cold so could not take any.
brownman
Postinator

Post by brownman »

icedtea wrote:
tyrolean_skier wrote:Tram started loading around 10 but we had to wait a while before it was our turn. Got off it and Rendezvous Bowl was a complete whiteout due to the heavy winds up there. I think I got vertigo since I could not tell which way was down. Kept skiing down a little at a time and finally got down. Very heavy snow had fallen ( 8 inches reported). Steeps where your friend. Woods were great. We found that it took longer to get one run in than yesterday. Iceman enjoyed skiing the Alta Shutes while I would ski some other terrain nearby. It’s been snowing all day so visibility was better in the trees. We skied their Cascade but this one is much steeper than ours. Hoping that the snow that fell last night drains and that the snow that is falling now is lighter.
I dropped off the tram last season in the middle of the storm that closed the resort for a week. Intense winds. Had to drive through Idaho to get to Montana as the passed was closed.
Rendezvous whiteouts :like
Yo .. last year's blowdown :dislike

Thus far this season .. Steep, no Deep. :sad:
Stagecoach taps in Wilson .. cures all ills 8)
You gotta leave guns and knives at the door :lol:

:Toast
Forever .. Goat Path
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

f.a.s.t. wrote:Please post some pictures if you can?
If you're not familiar, this is a great cam
http://jacksonhole.roundshot.com/rendezvous-lodge/
Last edited by XtremeJibber2001 on Jan 12th, '18, 13:32, edited 1 time in total.
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

brownman wrote:
tyrolean_skier wrote: Tram started loading around 10 but we had to wait a while before it was our turn. Got off it and Rendezvous Bowl was a complete whiteout due to the heavy winds up there. I think I got vertigo since I could not tell which way was down.
Rendezvous whiteouts :like

My first time down Rendevous was in a powder day snowstorm whiteout. All I could see was the jacket in the murk in front of me and my only thought was DO NOT LOSE SIGHT OF THAT JACKET. (Along with the occasional "I sure hope HE doesn't lose sight of the jacket in front of him!") I remember thinking, "The pressures on my skis is amazing, I must be doing 80 mph... No way."

Days later in bluebird visibility again on Rendevous I realized we were in fact going fast, and the visible slope was playing with me more in the clear than that day in the white room.
SkiDork
Site Admin

Post by SkiDork »

Some pics from today (and Iceman caught on the webcam at Rendezvous - thanks Highway Star)

Imagep1 by jefflanka2008, on Flickr
Imagep2 by jefflanka2008, on Flickr
Imagep3 by jefflanka2008, on Flickr
Imagep4 by jefflanka2008, on Flickr
Imagep5 by jefflanka2008, on Flickr
Imagep6 by jefflanka2008, on Flickr
Imagep7 by jefflanka2008, on Flickr
Imagep9 by jefflanka2008, on Flickr
Wait Till Next Year!!! Image

Iceman 10/11 Season

ImageImageImage
brownman
Postinator

Post by brownman »

Here's a tram picture for you to ponder. :P
FB_IMG_1515710299842.jpg
FB_IMG_1515710299842.jpg (54.79 KiB) Viewed 551 times
Looks like good seating available in the Amphitheater. :mrgreen:

Go see Butch at Corbets Cabin for a waffle :like
Lemme kno when you wanna Rendezvous :wink:
FB_IMG_1515710931371.jpg
FB_IMG_1515710931371.jpg (18.58 KiB) Viewed 543 times
Forever .. Goat Path
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

brownman wrote:Here's a tram picture for you to ponder. :P
FB_IMG_1515710299842.jpg
Looks like good seating available in the Amphitheater. :mrgreen:

Go see Butch at Corbets Cabin for a waffle :like
Lemme kno when you wanna Rendezvous :wink:
FB_IMG_1515710931371.jpg
Brownman are you at Jackson Hole too? Iceman was talking today to someone from Killington near the Thunder lift. Was that you?
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

It keeps snowing out here. Today we had some of the best runs so far because the snow was lighter. We did some of the chutes off Tensleep Bowl. One of them had not been skied the last few days so we were dealing with over a foot of virgin snow - not sure if it was Downhill or Snag Tree. We also skied Cirque and Iceman was going to hike up and do Coombs but Ski Patrol closed it for some reason. We sampled the glades off of ApresVous this morning but the snow there was still very heavy so we moved higher and the snow was better. We sampled Wooesey Woods (recommend by someone here) and loved them. We also skied under a bunch of liftlines including the Tramline and all had great snow. Sorry to hear that the good snow at Killington will probably be diminished greatly by tomorrow’s event. I hope some of the snow we’re seeing comes your way soon.
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

RustyK wrote:Million Dollar Cowboy Bar!
Did anyone ever eat there - supposedly it’s also a steakhouse?
Humpty Dumpty
Post Office

Post by Humpty Dumpty »

tyrolean_skier wrote:It keeps snowing out here. Today we had some of the best runs so far because the snow was lighter. We did some of the chutes off Tensleep Bowl. One of them had not been skied the last few days so we were dealing with over a foot of virgin snow - not sure if it was Downhill or Snag Tree. We also skied Cirque and Iceman was going to hike up and do Coombs but Ski Patrol closed it for some reason. We sampled the glades off of ApresVous this morning but the snow there was still very heavy so we moved higher and the snow was better. We sampled Wooesey Woods (recommend by someone here) and loved them. We also skied under a bunch of liftlines including the Tramline and all had great snow. Sorry to hear that the good snow at Killington will probably be diminished greatly by tomorrow’s event. I hope some of the snow we’re seeing comes your way soon.
Did you "sample" any headwalls?
wannabeskibum
Bumper

Post by wannabeskibum »

tyrolean_skier wrote:It keeps snowing out here. Today we had some of the best runs so far because the snow was lighter. We did some of the chutes off Tensleep Bowl. One of them had not been skied the last few days so we were dealing with over a foot of virgin snow - not sure if it was Downhill or Snag Tree. We also skied Cirque and Iceman was going to hike up and do Coombs but Ski Patrol closed it for some reason. We sampled the glades off of ApresVous this morning but the snow there was still very heavy so we moved higher and the snow was better. We sampled Wooesey Woods (recommend by someone here) and loved them. We also skied under a bunch of liftlines including the Tramline and all had great snow. Sorry to hear that the good snow at Killington will probably be diminished greatly by tomorrow’s event. I hope some of the snow we’re seeing comes your way soon.

Glad you liked Woolsey Woods - one of my favorites besides where you were -
Skis - Blizzard Brahma 88, Nordica Enforcer 104
Age - over 45 years @ Killington
Fusion Zoner
Green Skidder

Post by Fusion Zoner »

Haven't been out there since the last year of the original tram. Some of the best snow we found (on a trip where it only snowed before we got there) was at very opposite ends of the resort. Suggestions:
On one end, the Hoebacks provided amazing tree and woods skiing/riding with a wide variety of pitch and density of cover. My favorite area.
At the other end, the Saratoga Bowl had tons of snow and some fairly steep terrain but there was a long flat run out at the bottom.
In the middle, the hike-only bowls and chutes were fantastic on the front side. Looking at the mountain, the access is long and moderate on the left. On the right, the access is much shorter but very steep. We did not do anything through the gates so can't comment on that.
brownman
Postinator

Post by brownman »

tyrolean_skier wrote: Brownman are you at Jackson Hole too? Iceman was talking today to someone from Killington near the Thunder lift. Was that you?
Couple weeks before we Saddle Up :like
Hope they get some stuff open for you.
Have Fun !

Forever .. Goat Path