thursday 1/11/2018 report

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

skiadikt
Level 10K poster

thursday 1/11/2018 report

Post by skiadikt »

magnificent ski day. warm, overcast and windy with hero snow being the rule. every run was a creamy delight. pick your rotd. doubled down on vertigo and downdraft is sensational. can't get over how much snow they made on the thing. ol skied great. the styrofoam & bumps on upper wildfire softened nicely. runs like north star & old supe were sticky in spots but still good. surprised lower o was closed and lower section of supe icey. on the downside, the mtn turned ugly overnight. suddenly a lot of rock & brown appeared. though they skied well, runs like thimble & upper dreammaker have a lot more stuff to avoid. this isn't gonna be pretty ...
spoiled South American skiin' whore
madhatter
Signature Poster

Re: thursday 1/11/2018 report

Post by madhatter »

no hero snow at pico...it was plenty soft enough but mank ruled the day...a few folks were churning it up unde the summit chair which is where I made all my runs except the race run... I did veer off upper pike into the birch glades, birch glue would be more appropriate...spent 3 runs worth of leg just straightlining my way down it...

nothing a moderate sized crowd couldn't have cured pretty quickly but alas there wasn't one...

cover was good for now but no one will get out of this weekend unscathed...
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
jbkmart
Black Carver

Post by jbkmart »

Vertigo was great. The headwall doesn't get any better. No rocks, no ice, perfect cover, turn anywhere you want. The ice sculpture below the snowshed crossover is melting fast.
The naturals were manky in the afternoon. Spring conditions.
I was very happy to get out today. Tomorrow may be tough.
Coydog
Guru Poster

Post by Coydog »

jbkmart wrote:Vertigo was great. The headwall doesn't get any better. No rocks, no ice, perfect cover, turn anywhere you want. The ice sculpture below the snowshed crossover is melting fast.
The naturals were manky in the afternoon. Spring conditions.
I was very happy to get out today. Tomorrow may be tough.
Ditto. Thought the Vertigo, ahem, headwall was in the best shape in years. Much of the other stuff was pretty sticky. Let's hope the Mighty K endures.
Captain Hafski
Poster Child Poster

Post by Captain Hafski »

Afternoon Report: Pretty much already been said. Again, I must have been chasing Skiadikt around the mountain.

ROTD: Gonna give it to OL. Perfect conditions with nice bumps and/or whales to play on with zero ice. One of three do overs along with Vertigo and Downdraft.

DD TTB was really cool with suprisingly few bumps and whales remaining from the blow last week.

Surprised as was Skiadikt that lower O was closed. Upper headwall was good.

Others I enjoyed included Conclusion and Upper Dream Maker.
Goes to show, you don't never know
Watch each card you play, and play it slow
Don't you let that deal go down
Don't you let that deal go down

Looks like its going down no matter what I do !!!
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

jbkmart wrote: Tomorrow may be tough.
Ya think?

What's going to be tougher, the iced up lift delays or the tilted Zamboni surface with gravel ?

Tonight
r*in before 2am, then freezing r*in between 2am and 3am, then freezing r*in and sleet after 3am. Low around 14. Very windy, with a southwest wind 37 to 47 mph becoming northeast 7 to 12 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New ice accumulation of 0.1 to 0.3 of an inch possible. Little or no sleet accumulation expected.

Saturday
Snow, freezing r*in, and sleet, becoming all snow after 10am. Temperature falling to around 7 by 5pm. Wind chill values as low as -16. Windy, with a north wind 29 to 33 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New ice accumulation of less than a 0.1 of an inch possible. New snow and sleet accumulation of 1 to 2 inches possible.

So we get an inch or 2 of cold blower in 30 mph of wind, too late to be tilled in, blown off the porcelain surface. Temperatures stay above freezing until 2am, and freezing r*in continues until dawn. Very short grooming window. Dreamy. Trail counts should crash, some lifts won't open, and Nutty Irishmen should rule whatever bar is open.
Coydog
Guru Poster

Post by Coydog »

Mister Moose wrote: So we get an inch or 2 of cold blower in 30 mph of wind, too late to be tilled in, blown off the porcelain surface. Temperatures stay above freezing until 2am, and freezing r*in continues until dawn. Very short grooming window. Dreamy. Trail counts should crash, some lifts won't open, and Nutty Irishmen should rule whatever bar is open.
"KMart, Drink It If You Can."
Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Post by Stormchaser »

Mister Moose wrote:
jbkmart wrote: Tomorrow may be tough.
Ya think?

What's going to be tougher, the iced up lift delays or the tilted Zamboni surface with gravel ?

Tonight
r*in before 2am, then freezing r*in between 2am and 3am, then freezing r*in and sleet after 3am. Low around 14. Very windy, with a southwest wind 37 to 47 mph becoming northeast 7 to 12 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New ice accumulation of 0.1 to 0.3 of an inch possible. Little or no sleet accumulation expected.

Saturday
Snow, freezing r*in, and sleet, becoming all snow after 10am. Temperature falling to around 7 by 5pm. Wind chill values as low as -16. Windy, with a north wind 29 to 33 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New ice accumulation of less than a 0.1 of an inch possible. New snow and sleet accumulation of 1 to 2 inches possible.

So we get an inch or 2 of cold blower in 30 mph of wind, too late to be tilled in, blown off the porcelain surface. Temperatures stay above freezing until 2am, and freezing r*in continues until dawn. Very short grooming window. Dreamy. Trail counts should crash, some lifts won't open, and Nutty Irishmen should rule whatever bar is open.
See you on the Moosecalator at 8 am!
ImageImageImageImage
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

Stormchaser wrote: See you on the Moosecalator at 8 am!
Yeah. Um... I think I need to defrag the hypensator on my car, so I'll be a little late.
Big Bob
Postinator

Post by Big Bob »

Mister Moose wrote:
Yeah. Um... I think I need to defrag the hypensator on my car, so I'll be a little late.

Translation: I am still in the flatlands!

Not to be a jinx, but midweek storm could help, a lot!
2 hours and 10-minute drive to K
2023/2024 Ski Days: 30 days for the season
Killington: 12/14, 1/4, 1/9, 1/11, 1/17, 1/23, 1/31, 2/5, 2/20, 2/26, 3/4, 3/20, 3/25
Loon: 11/29, 12/8, 12/21, 1/8, 1/19, 1/22,1/30, 2/7, 2/15, 3/1, 3/8, 3/22
Sunday River: 3/12
Sugarloaf: 3/13, 3/14
Cannon:1/15, 2/22
ME2VTSkier
Powderhound
Location: Aroostook County ME, Plymouth VT, Block Island RI, Clarksville OH, Ocala FL

Post by ME2VTSkier »

Big Bob wrote:
Mister Moose wrote:

Translation: I am still in the flatlands!

Not to be a jinx, but midweek storm could help, a lot!
Thursday...