Saturday after the deluge - Jan 13 . . .

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

MrsG
Whipping Post

Saturday after the deluge - Jan 13 . . .

Post by MrsG »

Surface was actually better than expected!! We certainly did not get the snow forecasted, and it is bluebird sky now. Took shuttle to Rams and headed to Snowdon - couple runs there - snow was soft, but there were some sections of "wet ice looking" sections. At least K opened Bunny to public instead of closing for KMS. Then off to North Ridge where Reason/East Fall had the best snow. Took lower East Fall to check on K1 - was still closed, but learned it must have opened after we decided to take another run . . . big mistake - all lifts from K1 to Triple to Quad to Rams to Snowshed had at least half hour lift lines - should have stayed in the North Ridge/Canyon area. Have not seen such long lines at the ticket windows since the late 80s/early 90s - absolutely crazy out there . . . not big on waiting in half hour lift lines, so headed to the shuttle!! Saw Sup opened as we were heading home - even the shuttles going up to K1 had hideous lines . . . hope all are safe out there!!!
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Re: Saturday after the deluge - Jan 13 . . .

Post by skiadikt »

glad to hear the mtn is skiing better than expected and happy to hear to hear the crowds came out despite the crappy weather.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
random1
Blue Chatterbox

Post by random1 »

Agree with the above - way better surface than we had any right to expect. And held up well all day - didn’t come across anything really unskiable except a bit of skyeburst that really probably shouldn’t have been open. Lack of Skye Peak quad was brutal - might be the worst line I’ve ever seen at Bear Mtn Quad. Rest of the lines were long but manageable, really glad I didn’t bail on the day!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ME2VTSkier
Powderhound
Location: Aroostook County ME, Plymouth VT, Block Island RI, Clarksville OH, Ocala FL

Post by ME2VTSkier »

random1 wrote:Agree with the above - way better surface than we had any right to expect. And held up well all day - didn’t come across anything really unskiable except a bit of skyeburst that really probably shouldn’t have been open. Lack of Skye Peak quad was brutal - might be the worst line I’ve ever seen at Bear Mtn Quad. Rest of the lines were long but manageable, really glad I didn’t bail on the day!

Soooo.... would have been a good day to have a South Ridge lift? :wink:
RustyK
Whipping Post

Post by RustyK »

Jay Peak Report. 4-5 on top of the coral reef. Groomed stuff good. Nats were variable. Trees ok on lower elevation. No lift lines as most people here are for kids hockey. Skiergirl likes lower Jet woods.
Tomorrow's temps should be interesting on the Fridge chair.
Attachments
FullSizeRender.jpg
FullSizeRender.jpg (162.13 KiB) Viewed 1282 times
Skiwarrior
Beginner On Rentals

Post by Skiwarrior »

K posted that they were going to put a fresh coat on OL, Ovation, and lower Skyeburst. Wish they took advantage of the temps to improve the surface. 5:30 and still no guns going.
K42
Green Skidder

Post by K42 »

Lower skyeburst was treacherous towards the end of the day. Other than that the other trails held up ok even though most trails had a fair amount of ice
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

Skiwarrior wrote:K posted that they were going to put a fresh coat on OL, Ovation, and lower Skyeburst. Wish they took advantage of the temps to improve the surface. 5:30 and still no guns going.
surprised no snowmaking today. maybe it was the wind. also not sure my priority with the holiday crowd would be ol & ovation.
RustyK wrote:Jay Peak Report. 4-5 on top of the coral reef. Groomed stuff good. Nats were variable. Trees ok on lower elevation. No lift lines as most people here are for kids hockey.
good call. less crowded and new snow. nats & trees gone at k.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
GSKI
Powderhound

Post by GSKI »

so is there some base left on the nats and trees?
snoloco
Tree Psycho

Post by snoloco »

What lifts didn't open for all or most of today? Hoping that was the reason the lines were unreasonable rather than just the sheer number of people. Considering going tomorrow.
brownman
Postinator

Post by brownman »

RustyK wrote:Jay Peak Report. 4-5 on top of the coral reef. Groomed stuff good. Nats were variable. Trees ok on lower elevation. No lift lines as most people here are for kids hockey. Skiergirl likes lower Jet woods.
Tomorrow's temps should be interesting on the Fridge chair.
Nice !
.. Jet Rocks :like

Sounds and looks like Beast went from near full to half strength over nite. :sad:
Time to burn another pair of wood core 8)
This too .. will pass :wink:

:Toast
Forever .. Goat Path
random1
Blue Chatterbox

Post by random1 »

snoloco wrote:What lifts didn't open for all or most of today? Hoping that was the reason the lines were unreasonable rather than just the sheer number of people. Considering going tomorrow.
I don’t believe SPQ or needles ever opened.

snoloco
Tree Psycho

Post by snoloco »

And as mentioned here, Superstar and K1 opened late, and I noticed that Skyeship 2 didn't open till afternoon. That's a lot of very important lifts down. And there was no way to Skye Peak or between Bear and the rest of the mountain until either K1, Skyeship 2, or Superstar opened. So that's definitely going to make lines unreasonable. I've been on K on other holiday weekends and while it was always crowded, I managed to largely avoid lines by using the lesser lifts when possible.
Big Bob
Postinator

Post by Big Bob »

snoloco wrote:And as mentioned here, Superstar and K1 opened late, and I noticed that Skyeship 2 didn't open till afternoon. That's a lot of very important lifts down. And there was no way to Skye Peak or between Bear and the rest of the mountain until either K1, Skyeship 2, or Superstar opened. So that's definitely going to make lines unreasonable. I've been on K on other holiday weekends and while it was always crowded, I managed to largely avoid lines by using the lesser lifts when possible.
If they opened the Snowshed crossover you could get from Bear back to the rest of the mnt. And you could get from the top to Bear through south ridge
2 hours and 10-minute drive to K
2023/2024 Ski Days: 33 days for the season
Killington: 12/14, 1/4, 1/9, 1/11, 1/17, 1/23, 1/31, 2/5, 2/20, 2/26, 3/4, 3/20, 3/25, 4/2, 4/5
Loon: 11/29, 12/8, 12/21, 1/8, 1/19, 1/22,1/30, 2/7, 2/15, 3/1, 3/8, 3/22, 4/14
Sunday River: 3/12
Sugarloaf: 3/13, 3/14
Cannon:1/15, 2/22
throbster
Postaholic

Post by throbster »

GSKI wrote:so is there some base left on the nats and trees?
Yes, one good dump and they will be fine. We now have a bullet proof layer to build on.
I get all the news I need from the weather report

- Simon and Garfunkel