MLK Monday 2018

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

MrsG
Whipping Post

MLK Monday 2018

Post by MrsG »

Guess everyone went home - either that or slept in . . . empty at opening bell - headed to Bear after being forced to take a Snowshed run due to blocking way to Sup for groomer. Bluebird sky, but felt really cold, and I dressed close to how I did during the "freeze" - and wind was not the issue!?!?!?!

No guns on OL, but not a "bump" run - more of an "adventure" run with soft snow on top of styrofoam. Upper Wildfire groomed into a great lower. Rest of Bear nice soft groomers - couple do-overs to stay in warmer area. Off to Needles, Panic/Needles, Bitter/High - good, Cruise would have been WROD with marbles mixed with slick, until we did Middle Ovation - treacherous - actually waited for a ski patroller to suggest he have someone take it and consider putting signage, or close. Sup, Bitter/Bitter good with some marbles, but very manageable - Sky/Sky tied with Middle Ovation for WROD. Death cookies mixed with slick sections.

Chill set in, so headed home for chores!!!
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Re: MLK Monday 2018

Post by skiadikt »

an improvement over yesterday though a lighter turnout. to put it politely, there's still a "noisy" base in many places. trail sections with snowmaking like lower skyeburst and upper bitter skied the best - the exception being skye lark which was wrod. upper featured the chunkiest grooming of the season and lower had guns (some damp) over a sheer ice base. delightful. my knee wasn't feeling ol but it looked good from the lift. lots of folks on it in any case. i might call highline in the sun rotd which got a repeat. stash and lower wildfire skied well. speaking of trails that should have been closed - no ropes on mid & lower vertigo which i assume had a similar condition to ovation. hopefully some snow on the way.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

Conditions sound spectacular. H just came back from the K Medical Clinic (checking out a sore throat & cough) and was told they had 40 injuries yesterday. Just while she was there, they had two - a clavicle injury and a family waiting for mom to come out in a wheelchair according to one of the kids.

On a positive note, H is OK and took the opportunity to pick up her new skis. Forecast for the rest of the week looks better.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

Nice combination of blue sky and gun skiing which makes for
rsz_20180115_110314[1].jpg
rsz_20180115_110314[1].jpg (106.76 KiB) Viewed 1125 times
snow gun rainbows.
Captain Hafski
Poster Child Poster

Post by Captain Hafski »

Mid Day Report: Perfect temperature, no wind, no peeps, and bluebird skies. Much better than past few days.

ROTD: OL with decent bumps and mostly nice soft man made snow. Starting to show it's teeth though now that the guns are off with the slide and slam Ice / moguls forming in several places. With that said, it was easy to avoid the slick spots if you paid attention [look ahead to the bumps that start with a vertical wall]. And, the trail entrance still has a mostly coast to coast glacier to contend with [or to wake up the unwary].

Surprisingly, Vertigo was also very good. The upper headwall was closed but I suspect was skiable due to the bit of sleet frosting we got after the reign. Panic had a decent groom on it so no problem there to the scary crossover to Vertigo. Middle Vertigo was pretty good although a bit scrapy as it must have had a fair amount of traffic on it. Not the same for Lower Vertigo as I gotta believe [like Skiadikt] that most folks went around it. Even the new monolithic headwall was carveable leading you to a nice long run on the r*in flattened whales and moguls from last week. These features were topped with the carveable 'frosting' and though a bit technical was very good and a do over.

Skye Lark was better in the afternoon than the other posters reported on from the morning. The middle was OK if you stayed left and the lower section MUCH better than past few days rewarding us with a high speed exit to get across the front of KBL to Snowdon. Note: MUCH better does not mean ice free.

Highline was very good in the sun especially on the right up against the mogul area fence.

Dream Maker [starting at the park] down through the pipe was also pretty good as it was the day before.

Much better ride home down Great Eastern due to the low traffic.

I think K did about as good as they could for this important weekend after last weeks weather events.

DId anyone go down Lower O? Looked like it might have been OK.
Goes to show, you don't never know
Watch each card you play, and play it slow
Don't you let that deal go down
Don't you let that deal go down

Looks like its going down no matter what I do !!!
brownman
Postinator

Post by brownman »

Lower O, as in Organgrinder, was actually decent yesterday.
Warren took a beating. :sad:

:Toast
Forever .. Goat Path
hillbangin
Wanted Poster

Post by hillbangin »

Lower O was OK Monday - very good on Sunday with the guns going.

K saved the weekend with the snow making. Much better than expected.
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

Captain Hafski wrote:Mid Day Report: Perfect temperature, no wind, no peeps, and bluebird skies. Much better than past few days.

ROTD: OL with decent bumps and mostly nice soft man made snow. Starting to show it's teeth though now that the guns are off with the slide and slam Ice / moguls forming in several places. With that said, it was easy to avoid the slick spots if you paid attention [look ahead to the bumps that start with a vertical wall]. And, the trail entrance still has a mostly coast to coast glacier to contend with [or to wake up the unwary].

Surprisingly, Vertigo was also very good. The upper headwall was closed but I suspect was skiable due to the bit of sleet frosting we got after the reign. Panic had a decent groom on it so no problem there to the scary crossover to Vertigo. Middle Vertigo was pretty good although a bit scrapy as it must have had a fair amount of traffic on it. Not the same for Lower Vertigo as I gotta believe [like Skiadikt] that most folks went around it. Even the new monolithic headwall was carveable leading you to a nice long run on the r*in flattened whales and moguls from last week. These features were topped with the carveable 'frosting' and though a bit technical was very good and a do over.

Skye Lark was better in the afternoon than the other posters reported on from the morning. The middle was OK if you stayed left and the lower section MUCH better than past few days rewarding us with a high speed exit to get across the front of KBL to Snowdon. Note: MUCH better does not mean ice free.

Highline was very good in the sun especially on the right up against the mogul area fence.

Dream Maker [starting at the park] down through the pipe was also pretty good as it was the day before.

Much better ride home down Great Eastern due to the low traffic.

I think K did about as good as they could for this important weekend after last weeks weather events.

DId anyone go down Lower O? Looked like it might have been OK.
we did it on sunday end of day, it was skiable...
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
Skiwarrior
Beginner On Rentals

Post by Skiwarrior »

Middle O was an ice slab but Lower O was fun for the novelty. Huge edgeable whales that felt like a circus ride. Skiers center right was more real skiing in the man made. I would guess those whales get pretty slick and treacherous over the next couple of days.
liv4ski
Bumper

Post by liv4ski »

How much new snow is needed to get the trees open?
Skiwarrior
Beginner On Rentals

Post by Skiwarrior »

Trees are basically back to square one. Need a lot of help from Mother Nature.
specialp
Green Skidder

Post by specialp »

Trees were completely wiped out by the 60 degrees and precip. It's gonna be rough. We had a nice icy base and snow in there from a prolonged cold and snowy few weeks before the meltdown. I hope we get some snow soon but gonna need 1ft plus to make it where you aren't banging your skis on rocks. Really rough. We got off to such a decent start.
liv4ski
Bumper

Post by liv4ski »

Thanks. I'll stick to the snowmaking groomers.