Sugarloaf help/advice

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

Stache
Poster Child Poster

Sugarloaf help/advice

Post by Stache »

This coming weekend 01/19-21/2018 I am driving the Williams College Ski team to the Loaf.
Any advice or recommendations?
I am dropping them Friday afternoon, then hanging in the area till Sunday pm and then driving them back to Williamstown, MA.
Taking my skiis but can't get better than an $85 lift ticket on liftopia.
Not sure at this point if I am staying at same Hotel/lodge as the team or not.

Any info appreciated.
Stache

2018-19
Killington = 2
Whaleback = 1
Dartmouth Skiway =
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Re: Sugarloaf help/advice

Post by daytripper »

$85 isn't much of a deal, that's what they are charging thru their website for Sunday, and only a dollar more for Saturday.
Killington_Lover
Slalom Racer

Post by Killington_Lover »

Apples and oranges, on liftopia you pay still nearly 200 for a 2 day adult (Weekend) at K and they call that 14% savings or so. If you go more than the immediate weekend at SL the savings increase a bit to 9% or around 150 IIRC.

Not sure how they are doing this year and more specifically this weather pattern but I skied sugarloaf for 7 years and it is a wonderful place. Some of the best glades marked and unmarked in the east. A sort of shitty lift system, very prone to windhold up there. As far as on the hill it can be hit or miss with the weather. If you like bumps they have a bunch of more classic New England narrow style trails and some of the super highways like K. For food you can’t go wrong with a Bag Burger at The Bag, bbq or bar fare at The Rack, a deli sub at D’ellies, 45 north? For higher end and new comer Hunker Down has stellar reviews on the SL board. As for lodging I can’t say, logged over 500 days car camping over those years.

A couple friends have stayed at condos, the grand, the couple of places toward Stratton/Eustis can be more affordable. Also heard good things about the b&bs in Kingfield but have only stayed on the Stratton side.

If they didn’t have 3 major catastrophic lift incidents at SR/SL, and the market afforded for taking advantage of late season skiing at SL I would go back to calling there home in a heartbeat.
Ski It If You Can!..
liv4ski
Bumper

Post by liv4ski »

Stache wrote:This coming weekend 01/19-21/2018 I am driving the Williams College Ski team to the Loaf.
Funny, I was riding the lift with them today at Jiminy where they are training for the races this weekend and when they told me they are racing at Sugarloaf, I told them that was a good place to go if someone else is driving.
SnoBrdr
Whipping Post

Post by SnoBrdr »

Stache wrote:This coming weekend 01/19-21/2018 I am driving the Williams College Ski team to the Loaf.
I am dropping them Friday afternoon, then hanging in the area till Sunday pm and then driving them back to Williamstown, MA.

Any info appreciated.
Can't you "borrow" a coach's jacket and ski for free .
Beware of fools & trolls here, they lurk everywhere.
Stache
Poster Child Poster

Post by Stache »

liv4ski wrote:
Funny, I was riding the lift with them today at Jiminy where they are training for the races this weekend and when they told me they are racing at Sugarloaf, I told them that was a good place to go if someone else is driving.
:like
Stache

2018-19
Killington = 2
Whaleback = 1
Dartmouth Skiway =
Stache
Poster Child Poster

Post by Stache »

SnoBrdr wrote:

Any info appreciated.
Can't you "borrow" a coach's jacket and ski for free .
I do plan on asking the coach if they need some "help on the hill".
Not sure if my USEASA GateKeeper Credentials are still considered valid. Lets see, "Go" or "Back", yup I still got it.
Stache

2018-19
Killington = 2
Whaleback = 1
Dartmouth Skiway =
Stache
Poster Child Poster

Post by Stache »

They have to pay for my lodging (usually it is funded back by the NCAA) but that does not guarantee that I will have a room at same hotel. Sometimes in this kind of situation they room the bus driver at a cheaper hotel further away from the base.
Stache

2018-19
Killington = 2
Whaleback = 1
Dartmouth Skiway =
Seacoaster
Bumper

Post by Seacoaster »

Bullwinkles is a great mid mountain spot for a beer. If the snow flys, head over to Bracket basin for some real fun. Also, if you have a chance, stop by the Winterstick factory and see some of the most beautiful boards made in the USA!
Stache
Poster Child Poster

Post by Stache »

Seacoaster wrote:Bullwinkles is a great mid mountain spot for a beer. If the snow flys, head over to Bracket basin for some real fun. Also, if you have a chance, stop by the Winterstick factory and see some of the most beautiful boards made in the USA!
Lunch at Bullwinkles last year.
Only problem with being the bus driver is that I do not drink alcohol from 12 hours before I get to the garage until I get home again after the trip. Ayuh, even with a 42 hour layover in the middle.
Stache

2018-19
Killington = 2
Whaleback = 1
Dartmouth Skiway =
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

Stache wrote: Lunch at Bullwinkles last year.
Only problem with being the bus driver is that I do not drink alcohol from 12 hours before I get to the garage until I get home again after the trip. Ayuh, even with a 42 hour layover in the middle.
deadheadskier
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by deadheadskier »

If you kind find a way over to Black Mountain of Maine about 90 minutes away, lift tickets there are like $25. Supposedly a great hill
Stache
Poster Child Poster

Post by Stache »

daytripper wrote:$85 isn't much of a deal, that's what they are charging thru their website for Sunday, and only a dollar more for Saturday.
NOPE! and I've sweet talked everybody I can find from shuttle bus driver to hostess at breakfast.
NO Discounts available. Sold Out weekend with the College Race.

My opinion of "The Loaf".
Too Far.
Too Expensive.
Too Cold.
Too Rude.
Not enough positives to outweigh the negatives.

Ironically, although it is 11 miles further to Jay Peak from the Pru Tower, it is a half hour less driving.
Much less driving to Stowe, K, Cannon, or others just as good.

Thank You to everyone who offered help. It is appreciated.

Redeeming Divine Intervention: Screw up on the reservation and I am now in the "Reserve Suite" for two nights with all access to health club and breakfast included. I'll occupy my time,I just won't be skiing (cheap bastard).

Edit at 10:17 AM Saturday 01/20/2018 Most lifts on wind hold or down for other reasons. Don't ask me what they are doing about the race. On the positive side, the breakfast was AWESOME. The BEST yogurt I have ever tasted and they had a special low bush blueberry compote to ladle over the top.
Stache

2018-19
Killington = 2
Whaleback = 1
Dartmouth Skiway =
Big Bob
Postinator

Post by Big Bob »

When I go to the Loaf I get off I 95 in Waterville at the Home Depot. I go through Norrwigwalk, Madison, North Anson to Kingfield. One hour and 5 minutes of 2 lane with little traffic and decent roads. I have never found the people to be rude there. It takes me a little better than 3 hours to get there, only about 50 minutes further than Killington from my part of NH.
Sunday River is 5 miles closer to me than Killington, but takes 10 minutes longer, must be a Maine thing!
2 hours and 10-minute drive to K
2023/2024 Ski Days: 30 days for the season
Killington: 12/14, 1/4, 1/9, 1/11, 1/17, 1/23, 1/31, 2/5, 2/20, 2/26, 3/4, 3/20, 3/25
Loon: 11/29, 12/8, 12/21, 1/8, 1/19, 1/22,1/30, 2/7, 2/15, 3/1, 3/8, 3/22
Sunday River: 3/12
Sugarloaf: 3/13, 3/14
Cannon:1/15, 2/22
Stache
Poster Child Poster

Post by Stache »

Every possible route was within fifteen minutes of each other on a 6.5 - 6.75 hour drive from Williamstown, MA.
Came up 91 and down 93 to 2 then 16 so we could stop a minute an look t the Nansen ski jump.
Going back down 95 to 495 to 2. The motorcoache's satellite tracking give exact record of actual driving minutes.
Actual exact driving time up was 7:04. Add in a 14 minute rest stop at Lancaster, NH (VT-NH line).
Last edited by Stache on Jan 23rd, '18, 13:13, edited 1 time in total.
Stache

2018-19
Killington = 2
Whaleback = 1
Dartmouth Skiway =