NH teen killed in sledding crash at S. River while poaching

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

SnoBrdr
Whipping Post

NH teen killed in sledding crash at S. River while poaching

Post by SnoBrdr »

NEWRY, Maine (AP) Officials say two New Hampshire teenagers sneaked onto Maine's Sunday River resort while it was closed, went sledding on a ski trail and crashed into a tree, killing one and seriously injuring the other.

Oxford County Chief Deputy Hart Daley says three people were involved in the illicit, after-hours outing early Wednesday on an inflatable tube. Sledding is not allowed on ski trails, and the mountain was closed.

Portsmouth High School Principal Mary Lyons confirmed that a senior, David Kohlhase, died in the crash, and that another student was hospitalized. Police say the third person called for help.

A resort spokeswoman said it happened on the Tempest Trail, which is steeper than most sledding hills. Part of it is rated for expert skiers, and part is rated for intermediate skiers.
Beware of fools & trolls here, they lurk everywhere.
throbster
Postaholic

Re: NH teen killed in sledding crash at S. River while poach

Post by throbster »

That sucks.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2018/ ... story.html

Tube sleds should be outlawed since there is no way of steering them. Didn't a child die a few years ago at Pico from a crash on a tube sled?
I get all the news I need from the weather report

- Simon and Garfunkel
SnoBrdr
Whipping Post

Post by SnoBrdr »

throbster wrote:That sucks.

Tube sleds should be outlawed since there is no way of steering them. Didn't a child die a few years ago at Pico from a crash on a tube sled?
But it's very hard to regulate stupidity.
throbster
Postaholic

Post by throbster »

SnoBrdr wrote:

Kinda harsh... did you ever doing anything stupid when you were 18?
I get all the news I need from the weather report

- Simon and Garfunkel
SnoBrdr
Whipping Post

Post by SnoBrdr »

throbster wrote:
SnoBrdr wrote:

Kinda harsh... did you ever doing anything stupid when you were 18?
No, I never broke into any place in the middle of the night nor did I do things that put my life or the life or another at risk.
icedtea
Guru Poster

Post by icedtea »

Never did full moon car laps down GE as a teenager?
"To have the truth in your possession you can be found guilty, sentenced to death."
Peter Tosh
Pushgears
Blue Chatterbox

Post by Pushgears »

Seems kind of insensitive to dismiss this horrible tragedy as stupidity. There are some people, especially this YOUNG man's family whose lives will never be the same. RIP David.
I spend a little time on the mountain, spend a little time on the hill.
MrsG
Whipping Post

Post by MrsG »

Definitely RIP David .... tough for family and the Sunday River community - a simple fun time sledding at night outside your condo turned tragic .... so sad for everyone involved :sad: :cry: :sad:
santaclaus
Beginner On Rentals

Post by santaclaus »

It's a slippery slope folks, best exercise caution.
Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Post by Highway Star »

Pushgears wrote:Seems kind of insensitive to dismiss this horrible tragedy as stupidity. There are some people, especially this YOUNG man's family whose lives will never be the same. RIP David.
RIP, very tough to loose a good kid. I wouldn't call it stupidity, but I would call it "highly risk tolerant" personality type. Reading the article, it sounds like the father was financially successful, many successful people are risk tolerant. They talk about the kid doing some pretty serious offshore fishing, possibly without an experienced adult around. Was probably a daring and accomplished skier. This was probably one of many adventurous and dangerous things he had done.
"I'M YELLING BECAUSE YOU DID SOMETHING COOL!" - Humpty Dumpty

"Kzone should bill you for the bandwidth you waste writing novels to try and prove a point, but end up just looking like a deranged narcissistic fool." - Deadheadskier at madhatter

"The key is to not be lame, and know it, and not give a rat's @$$ what anybody thinks......that's real cool." - Highway Star http://goo.gl/xJxo34" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"I am one of the coolest people on the internet..." - Highway Star

"I have a tiny penis...." - C-Rex

XtremeJibber2001 - THE MAIN STREAM MEDIA HAS YOU COMPLETELY HYPNOTIZED. PLEASE WAKE UP AND LEARN HOW TO FILTER REALITY FROM BS NARRATIVES.

"Your life is only interesting when you capture the best, fakest, most curated split second version." - Team Robot regarding Instagram posters
SnoBrdr
Whipping Post

Post by SnoBrdr »

Highway Star wrote:
Pushgears wrote:Seems kind of insensitive to dismiss this horrible tragedy as stupidity. There are some people, especially this YOUNG man's family whose lives will never be the same. RIP David.
RIP, very tough to loose a good kid. I wouldn't call it stupidity, but I would call it "highly risk tolerant" personality type. Reading the article, it sounds like the father was financially successful, many successful people are risk tolerant. They talk about the kid doing some pretty serious offshore fishing, possibly without an experienced adult around. Was probably a daring and accomplished skier. This was probably one of many adventurous and dangerous things he had done.
Funny when they are rich, it's "highly risk tolerant" when they are poor, it's something else.

Sad situation all ways around.
KingsFourMan
Postaholic

Post by KingsFourMan »

Incredibly sad story, God's Peace to his family.

I've never been injured skiing (knock on wood) but I've been injured multiple times sledding/tubing. I wrapped around a tree like a horseshoe at high speed on a flexible flyer once on a fast icy hill in my neighbors yard when I was about 14 and cracked a couple of ribs. As recently as 10 years ago, I ended up at Rutland Reqional with a severe contusion to my left ass cheek after hitting a stump on a plastic sled. Was incredibly lucky that both weren't much worse. Had at least 2 others sledding/tubing accidents in the past 35 years but those were the worst.
Don't fly Mr. Bluebird, I'm just walking down the road......
Humpty Dumpty
Post Office

Post by Humpty Dumpty »

SnoBrdr wrote:

Oh man. What a complete dick bag you are. And your post is a great example of douchebaggieness.

Look at that! You nailed being two dbags in a one line post. You are a regular Chief Tecumsuck. Now go back to your one man pow wow.
SnoBrdr
Whipping Post

Post by SnoBrdr »

Humpty Dumpty wrote:
SnoBrdr wrote:

Oh man. What a complete dick bag you are. And your post is a great example of douchebaggieness.

Look at that! You nailed being two dbags in a one line post. You are a regular Chief Tecumsuck. Now go back to your one man pow wow.
Unsure why you still post.

You've obviously lost your fastball sometime ago.

Maybe it's for those who still listen to Stern and like your 12 year old humor.

You're sad, just sad.
Humpty Dumpty
Post Office

Post by Humpty Dumpty »

SnoBrdr wrote:
Humpty Dumpty wrote:
SnoBrdr wrote:

Unsure why you still post.

You've obviously lost your fastball sometime ago.

Maybe it's for those who still listen to Stern and like your 12 year old humor.

You're sad, just sad.
Snicker, snicker, snicker. The much anticipated typical snobrdr response. And I'm not 12. I'm a 62 y/o divorced mother of two grown boys.

Now get out to the barn and feed your girlfriend some hay. She's hungry.

I post, therefore I am, out.