sunday 2/4/2018

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

skiadikt
Level 10K poster

sunday 2/4/2018

Post by skiadikt »

excellent day out there. the couple inches made a big difference. a few early jaunts down ol were as good that gets. other notables included thimble and old supe. hit some trees on both the upper mtn & bear and they skied well. ridge run and particularly northstar getting boney. lower skylark a bit on the slick side when we hit it. vertigo a mixed bag as well. we reluctantly called it a day around 2 when the wind on the canyon chair was ripping the flesh off our faces but we hit the jackpot on our run back to bear through the sr. i'm sure those last 2 hrs were great as it really started dumping.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Re: sunday 2/4/2018

Post by Mister Moose »

skiadikt wrote: called it a day around 2 when the wind on the canyon chair was ripping the flesh off our faces...
yikes. Glad I wasn't your ski buddy today.
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

skiadikt wrote:excellent day out there. the couple inches made a big difference. a few early jaunts down ol were as good that gets. other notables included thimble and old supe. hit some trees on both the upper mtn & bear and they skied well. ridge run and particularly northstar getting boney. lower skylark a bit on the slick side when we hit it. vertigo a mixed bag as well. we reluctantly called it a day around 2 when the wind on the canyon chair was ripping the flesh off our faces but we hit the jackpot on our run back to bear through the sr. i'm sure those last 2 hrs were great as it really started dumping.
you would be correct...
Last edited by madhatter on Feb 4th, '18, 23:34, edited 1 time in total.
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
Woodsrider
Slalom Racer

Post by Woodsrider »

Awesome afternoon. Refresh every run and it’s still dumping. Everything was good. Woods are filling in nicely. Big Dipper was ROTD. But I didn’t tour the mountain looking for best. The most snow was at higher elevation so other than a couple runs on Ovation, which rocked, I stayed in the canyon. Tomorrow is going to be good. Looks like I picked the right week to take off.
GSKI
Powderhound

Post by GSKI »

Jug to Breakaway! Nice. Breakaway is loaded with powder.
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

GSKI wrote:Jug to Breakaway! Nice. Breakaway is loaded with powder.
Jug to jug handle was my rotd, looking up breakaway afterwards looked just as nice.
GSKI
Powderhound

Post by GSKI »

Breakaway is the better pitch there. Skis longer than it is. Less traveled as well. Even better when it is closed as it was today.
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

Awesome day - skied till 4. ROTD for me was a reserved one so no name mentioned here. Big Dipper woods was skiing pretty good. Other woods in the area were also filled with great snow. As someone mentioned constant refresh the last two hours. We even skied Catwalk and it had good coverage. Tomorrow should be a great powder day. Demoing skis and probably will only ski half day because I have to go back to the flatlands.
twilkas
Tree Psycho

Post by twilkas »

good to hear of continuing improvement, should really be good towards end of the week. hoping like
heck to make it up there. many thanks for the ongoing reports all!
Captain Hafski
Postaholic

Post by Captain Hafski »

Mid-Day / Afternoon Report: Pretty damn good at the start and better each run as the Hatter / Hafski shift settled into place !! Constant refresh in the afternoon with the new snow, a bit of wind, and peeps heading home for the game.

ROTD: Picking North Star over some others as I just like that trail and had a good run down it with a nice refresh throughout and no one else on it. Not the deepest snow on the mountain, etc., but glad to have it back on the menu.

Needle's Eye trails skiing well and will be much better Monday. Thimble warmup run always gets the blood flowing and I really enjoyed Stitchline as well. Panic Button is very skiable and Cruise Control remains one of the best groomers on the mountain.

Old Supe -> Middle / Lower O was certainly in the running for ROTD. Skied the right hand side of lower O this time and it was really good although saw a lot of traffic through the day.

On Snowdon, North Start, Great Bear and the other return trail to the triple chair were all good. Up higher, North RIdge run and Escapade were awesome and lower Cascade very good as well. Looking forward to concentrating more in the canyon tomorrow.

[Insert trail name here] on the way over to Bear was another contender for ROTD and would have been a do over if we had time. Stash, Dream Maker, Bear Claw and the old 'Grizzly' were all good but not as much fresh snow as others have already reported w.r.t. elevation.

Might have missed a couple but all in all a great day and looks like we should have 10+ new inches to start off the week on Monday.
Goes to show, you don't never know
Watch each card you play, and play it slow
Don't you let that deal go down

Looks like its going down no matter what I do !!!
RustyK
Whipping Post

Post by RustyK »

Reporting 16" in the past 24 hours.

Should be back in the trees!

Hopefully it's not too sticky...
Where is Happy Hour ?
brownman
Postinator

Post by brownman »

Rusty .. C'mon up Thursday.
Will get you that waffle :wink:

:Toast
Forever .. Goat Path
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

RustyK wrote:Reporting 16" in the past 24 hours.

Trees are skiing really well. Exit of Anarchy still has a lot of ice so suiggest you find some other place to exit. Snow Princess said that the Julio exit was not too bad.
Captain Hafski
Postaholic

Post by Captain Hafski »

RustyK wrote:Reporting 16" in the past 24 hours.

It was not sticky.
Goes to show, you don't never know
Watch each card you play, and play it slow

Looks like its going down no matter what I do !!!
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

Here is a picture taken by Powday when we hiked up to Catwalk:
Hiking up to Catwalk 020418.jpg
Hiking up to Catwalk 020418.jpg (170.49 KiB) Viewed 367 times