thursday 2/8/2018

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

skiadikt
Level 10K poster

thursday 2/8/2018

Post by skiadikt »

damn if we didn't have another blank canvas on which to paint our brush strokes this morning. everything in the trees filled in beautifully and skiing great. just another amazing day at the beast.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
Bubba
Site Admin

Re: thursday 2/8/2018

Post by Bubba »

skiadikt wrote:damn if we didn't have another blank canvas on which to paint our brush strokes this morning. everything in the trees filled in beautifully and skiing great. just another amazing day at the beast.
What he said!
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
brownman
Postinator

Post by brownman »

Throwback Thursday for sure :Toast
Rarely see that big a queue at SS before the bell.
.. although K1 does need servicing, badly :sad:

Developed a particular liking to growling and devilish den seeking.
Lower Downdraft and Flush were mint.
Seemingly, nothing was steep enuf today :lol:

Get it while you can ..

:Toast
Forever .. Goat Path
Midwest Skier
Blue Chatterbox

Post by Midwest Skier »

Pretty impressive how much snow they were making on Superstar given 37" of natural in the past week.
Superstar.jpg
Superstar.jpg (54.63 KiB) Viewed 919 times
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

Yesterday's snow was mostly skied in already, and for a Thursday, there was a lot of people on the hill. So by 10am when I got there it was tracked out in all the major places. When I did go hunting and found some untouched, it was fairly dense. Not heavy, not wet, but medium moisture content with wind. Which is essentially just perfect as the dense snow will form a fantastic base.

Visibility initially was lousy mid mountain on the North side, but Bear had more sun. By 11 the fog lifted.

Snowdon was fun but popular, and I happened across the Captain just before lunch, and we did the Flush. 100% tracked, but once you let that go it was some of the best skiing in recent memory.

ROTD however was not a powder stash, was not on Snowdon, and was not in the trees. It was right out in front of you, and no one was skiing it. It wasn't even any of the 35 inches that just fell.

Superstar was lined with guns, and the headwall had set up perfectly. By mid afternoon the hill started to empty out, and no one was skiing the guns. Who skis guns on a powder day? Exactly. But wait, there's more. Something spoke to me.

The headwall was all high quality air hog guns, lots of them, none running wet, and all were pumping out the MOST velvety, the MOST creamy, the MOST smo-o-o-o-o-o-o-th and cottony soft whales I have ever skied. No one had skied it so there was nothing but uninterrupted steep smooth. I can't say smooth enough to describe it. Send your skis out and they arced and tracked and came back under you, send em out the other side and they come back under you again without a whisper, without a vibration, without weight or effort, without moguls or ruts or crossing tracks of any kind, with zero tracking error. It was firm to carve in, meaning no float, but soft to throw the ski in half a ski width deep. Crest the whale and fall near weightless on the back side, but the skis still hold like a hot knife in butter, and just keep turning. Well, only one more turn because at this point you have to stop and wipe your goggles as the last 2 turns were mostly by Braille.

Farther down on Mid Supe was great as well, but lacked the thrill of the empty white room of the headwall, and the guns were farther apart. Some whales on Mid were quite firm pool table felt, not even talcy. Snow varied considerably depending on where in the gun throw you were. And then skier's left after tower 5 was soft natural snow under-skied bumpettes with gobs of snow.

So of course I did it again.
0208181405-00.jpg
0208181405-00.jpg (147.55 KiB) Viewed 797 times
Chunky Monkey powder
0208181520-00.jpg
0208181520-00.jpg (115.13 KiB) Viewed 797 times
A beautiful day in the neighborhood

0208181520-01.jpg
0208181520-01.jpg (138.43 KiB) Viewed 797 times
Just beyond here lies your wildest dreams. Notice all the empty chairs, and the trail was that empty as well.
KingsFourMan
Postaholic

Post by KingsFourMan »

Mister Moose wrote:Yesterday's snow was mostly skied in already, and for a Thursday, there was a lot of people on the hill. So by 10am when I got there it was tracked out in all the major places. When I did go hunting and found some untouched, it was fairly dense. Not heavy, not wet, but medium moisture content with wind. Which is essentially just perfect as the dense snow will form a fantastic base.

Visibility initially was lousy mid mountain on the North side, but Bear had more sun. By 11 the fog lifted.

Snowdon was fun but popular, and I happened across the Captain just before lunch, and we did the Flush. 100% tracked, but once you let that go it was some of the best skiing in recent memory.

ROTD however was not a powder stash, was not on Snowdon, and was not in the trees. It was right out in front of you, and no one was skiing it. It wasn't even any of the 35 inches that just fell.

Superstar was lined with guns, and the headwall had set up perfectly. By mid afternoon the hill started to empty out, and no one was skiing the guns. Who skis guns on a powder day? Exactly. But wait, there's more. Something spoke to me.

The headwall was all high quality air hog guns, lots of them, none running wet, and all were pumping out the MOST velvety, the MOST creamy, the MOST smo-o-o-o-o-o-o-th and cottony soft whales I have ever skied. No one had skied it so there was nothing but uninterrupted steep smooth. I can't say smooth enough to describe it. Send your skis out and they arced and tracked and came back under you, send em out the other side and they come back under you again without a whisper, without a vibration, without weight or effort, without moguls or ruts or crossing tracks of any kind, with zero tracking error. It was firm to carve in, meaning no float, but soft to throw the ski in half a ski width deep. Crest the whale and fall near weightless on the back side, but the skis still hold like a hot knife in butter, and just keep turning. Well, only one more turn because at this point you have to stop and wipe your goggles as the last 2 turns were mostly by Braille.

Farther down on Mid Supe was great as well, but lacked the thrill of the empty white room of the headwall, and the guns were farther apart. Some whales on Mid were quite firm pool table felt, not even talcy. Snow varied considerably depending on where in the gun throw you were. And then skier's left after tower 5 was soft natural snow under-skied bumpettes with gobs of snow.

0208181405-00.jpg
Chunky Monkey powder
0208181520-00.jpg

0208181520-01.jpg
Just beyond here lies your wildest dreams. Notice all the empty chairs, and the trail was that empty as well.
Nice report...damn near got a full on erection from it.
Don't fly Mr. Bluebird, I'm just walking down the road......
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

KingsFourMan wrote:
Mister Moose wrote:Yesterday's snow was mostly skied in already, and for a Thursday, there was a lot of people on the hill. So by 10am when I got there it was tracked out in all the major places. When I did go hunting and found some untouched, it was fairly dense. Not heavy, not wet, but medium moisture content with wind. Which is essentially just perfect as the dense snow will form a fantastic base.

0208181405-00.jpg
Chunky Monkey powder
0208181520-00.jpg

0208181520-01.jpg
Nice report...damn near got a full on erection from it.
TMI
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
twilkas
Tree Psycho

Post by twilkas »

beauty MM! pics were a bonus but not even truly needed.

pico pigs were evidently out in full force, i was up high early yet summit glades sliced and diced to a surprising degree. went back down low and caught some tasty untracked on good ole B slope, got that floaty feeling and it was good.
im limited these days and if that's the last of the good stuff i get this season, im plenty happy after these past 2 days.
Bumper

Post by 180 »

2 of the sweetest days in a long time. Bear delivered for many runs in the AM. But why oh why is there no Canyon Quad on a day like today?
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

180 wrote:2 of the sweetest days in a long time. Bear delivered for many runs in the AM. But why oh why is there no Canyon Quad on a day like today?
been a helluva of a week. agree on the canyon quad. doesn't usually run on tues & thurs but a powday with a good turnout? maybe swap the poma for the canyon. certainly limited our work in that area.
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

twilkas wrote:beauty MM! pics were a bonus but not even truly needed.

pico pigs were evidently out in full force, i was up high early yet summit glades sliced and diced to a surprising degree. went back down low and caught some tasty untracked on good ole B slope, got that floaty feeling and it was good.
im limited these days and if that's the last of the good stuff i get this season, im plenty happy after these past 2 days.
wasn't the outpost running?
brownman
Postinator

Post by brownman »

Moose .. WTF with your camera ?

:Toast
Forever .. Goat Path
DES
Slalom Racer

Post by DES »

I hadn't mentioned the crowds on my Cannon report from yesterday, but same there, the parking lot at Peabody looked full looking back over from Mittersill relatively early (didn't matter to me, I was around an hour early and on the first Peabody and Cannonball chairs). At Cannon they did open the Tram even though it wasn't scheduled (Peabody chair had some problems, but opening the Tram was a bonus...and then I was on the 1st Tram of the day also!). But the opposite was in effect on top of Cannon, they were making snow on some runs, but it made for almost no visibility at all, so those were avoided.
Woodsrider
Slalom Racer

Post by Woodsrider »

Amazing day. 1st tracks down Big Dipper again. Then into the woods with fresh all morning long. By early afternoon it was off to the hidden stashes where I found waist deep untracked snow. Spectacular ride.

I should mention, be careful in the back country at lower elevations. Very unstable snow. Avoid steep chutes.
Captain Hafski
Poster Child Poster

Post by Captain Hafski »

Afternoon Report: As already mentioned, not the lightest / fluffiest snow, but copius amounts. The mountain is pretty well filled in !!!

ROTD: Gonna call it Escapade -> Flume. It is amazing that Flume is skiable again what with the ice glacier that had formed on it. Great cover all the way down.
J
Several runs on Snowdon all very good including the Royal Flush run with Mr. Moose.

Both Ovation and Superstar were right up there as well. I did not do the SS headwall so missed out on the record breaking smoothness apparently but lower SS bumps on the right had side (the ones that were ice sculptures a week ago) were beautiful. I gotta suspect the left side bumps were just as good or better. Lower O was a realy treat with ever increasing re-freshing (from the wind as well as the skier snow pushing) as you went down the trail.

One run on South Ridge was spectacular as expected.

Just had to do the Fiddle; awesome but beware, this one is still showing some bone.

Upper Dream Maker sweet as well.

Etc.
Goes to show, you don't never know
Watch each card you play, and play it slow
Don't you let that deal go down
Don't you let that deal go down

Looks like its going down no matter what I do !!!