Crews searching for missing skier at Whiteface

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

SnoBrdr
Whipping Post

Crews searching for missing skier at Whiteface

Post by SnoBrdr »

WILMINGTON, N.Y. (WCAX) The search is on for a missing skier in the Adirondacks. He has not been seen since Wednesday and was reported missing after the lifts closed.

We know the skier is a 49-year-old intermediate skier who works as a firefighter in Toronto. He was visiting for the weekend with friends and family. His name has not been released.

New York State Police say the skier went missing at the same time a strong snowstorm was making visibility poor. More than a foot of snow has fallen there in the last 24 hours.

"We've been searching overnight and were searching to this very moment for the individual," said Jon Lundin, the spokesman for Whiteface Mountain.

That search startled some visitors like Ron Rollins of Long Island, New York.

"I noticed low-flying helicopters on a couple of occasions and on my last run down on one of the slopes, there was a ski patrol guy and a guy with a dog, you know looking in the woods," Rollins said.

When the man was reported missing after lifts closed Wednesday afternoon, Whiteface Mountain staff informed New York State Police, the Department of Environmental Conservation and New York State Rangers. And the search began.

"We've searched the entire mountain. As a matter of fact, as we speak right now we have about 35-38 people on the hill and as of seven this morning we have searched up and down this mountain at least five times," Lundin said.

To put that into perspective, Whiteface has a total of 314 acres; 35 of those are considered "out of bounds."

But the search has not closed down the mountain. Many mountain-goers like Rollins have still come for the fresh powder.

"It was a great day, great conditions, great mountain," Rollins said.

Rollins says he takes precautions to make sure something like this doesn't happen to him.

"I stay on the trail and as you get older, you're a little more cautious, you know, control my speed, etc," he said.

He and other skiers were informed about the search as soon as they arrived at the mountain and were asked to keep an eye out.

"If they did see anything to please notify our ski patrol," Lundin said.

The search will continue overnight.
Beware of fools & trolls here, they lurk everywhere.
SnoBrdr
Whipping Post

Re: Crews searching for missing skier at Whiteface

Post by SnoBrdr »

WILMINGTON, N.Y. (WCAX) The search resumed Friday morning on Whiteface Mountain for a missing skier.

Police say Constantinos "Danny" Filippidis, 49, a firefighter from Toronto, was last seen at the Wilmington ski area Wednesday afternoon. He was reported missing after the lifts closed. Police say Filippidis was an intermediate skier and he went missing during a snowstorm that was making visibility poor.

Friday may have looked like a regular day at Whiteface Mountain.

"There's a ton a ton of fresh powder snow -- I love it," said James Finnigan, a visitor from Pennsylvania.

But the mountain -- known for bringing people from all over -- has had some extra guests the last few days. "To date we have over 140 people involved in this search through various agencies -- state agencies, federal agencies, as well as volunteers," said Jon Lundin with the Olympic Regional Development Authority.

Rescuers were on foot, on skis, and accompanied by search dogs Friday. Even a drone was brought in to help. But with 20 inches of snowfall in the last seven days, officials say Filippidis could be anywhere.

The mountain is home to 86 trails -- 73 are open now. It's a popular destination with this fresh snow, which is why the ski patrol has been searching the un-groomed territory. Authorities say in some spots the snow is chest deep. "This is an air to ground search," Lundin said.

Resort officials again on Friday put the word out for skiers to keep their eyes open.

"Honestly, I thought I was going to go find him -- that did not happen," Finnigan said. He says he practices some basic rules while on the slopes to make sure he stays safe. "Stay with the buddy system or have like walkie talkies, or never ride alone."

Meanwhile rescuers continue their search. "We're looking for anything that might just be out of the ordinary that will help us find him," Lundin said.

Filippidis was last seen wearing a green ski jacket, black helmet and red skis. He's described as 5-feet-10-inches tall, 220 pounds, with brown eyes and black hair. Anyone who has information or has seen Filippidis is asked to call New York State Police at 518-873-2750.
spiderpig
Beginner On Rentals

Post by spiderpig »

Found in California. Huh.

http://news10.com/2018/02/13/missing-wh ... alifornia/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
throbster
Postaholic

Post by throbster »

I get all the news I need from the weather report

- Simon and Garfunkel
SnoBrdr
Whipping Post

Post by SnoBrdr »

throbster wrote:They found him in California.

http://poststar.com/news/state-and-regi ... 3.amp.html
Wow that was a hell of a run out on that slope.
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

he's not gonna be happy when he gets the bill for the search ...
spoiled South American skiin' whore
SnoBrdr
Whipping Post

Post by SnoBrdr »

skiadikt wrote:he's not gonna be happy when he gets the bill for the search ...
He's a Canadian, wonder what they can do.
rower
Black Carver

Post by rower »

They found him disoriented still wearing ski clothes, helmet and goggles. His car and wallet with ID still at Whiteface. X-files?
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

Very weird.
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

rower wrote:They found him disoriented still wearing ski clothes, helmet and goggles. His car and wallet with ID still at Whiteface. X-files?
Source?
boston_e
Postaholic

Post by boston_e »

daytripper wrote:
rower wrote:They found him disoriented still wearing ski clothes, helmet and goggles. His car and wallet with ID still at Whiteface. X-files?
Source?
I heard on the news (1030 AM Boston) that he could. It remember how he got to California.
Don't Killington Pico
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

http://www.newyorkupstate.com/adirondac ... ed_th.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SnoBrdr
Whipping Post

Post by SnoBrdr »

daytripper wrote:
Source?
Just about any paper in the USA and Canada.
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

This will be an episode on NBC's Dateline program in about six months, possibly including alien abduction as an explanation.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Nikoli
Poster Child Poster

Post by Nikoli »

Bubba wrote:This will be an episode on NBC's Dateline program in about six months, possibly including alien abduction as an explanation.
If the guy did run away, why in hell he would choose Sacramento is beyond me. I could think of 1000 other places to run away to.
And the sea will grant each man new hope . . .
-Christopher Columbus