Vertigo Ice Cone

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

madhatter
Signature Poster

Re: Vertigo Ice Cone

Post by madhatter »

throbster wrote:My point is that some snowmaker forgot about the gun he set up on Vertigo and he created a man made disaster (to borrow a spineless Obama term). The result is a very challenging enterance into lower vert which some herb (like WoodyRider) could easily get hurt on. Why not do something about it instead of waiting for a lawsuit?
I dunno seems much ado about nothing here...I'm not sure it was unintentional....that ice will keep that trail accessible a lot longer than it would be w normal snow in place...

Woodsrider is plenty capable of handling his board(s)...

humpty still laps the shank.....
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
Humpty Dumpty
Post Office

Post by Humpty Dumpty »

madhatter wrote:
Humpty Dumpty wrote:
madhatter wrote:
back in the day I'd huck that thing on my snowboard sight unseen...I'm sure I can do it on my skis nowadays too but the risk reward is too high to consider...
I can't get over your awesomeness. It's just, well, awesome. Mrs. Hatter must get all hot and bothered when talk like this.
sorry you suck so bad..., anytime you wanna come out for some complete humiliation I'll be happy to supply the beatdown...

but you never will cuz yer a keyboard warrior nobody, and that's yer claim to fame to boot...sad, so sad...

it ain't bragging if ya do it and ya back it up, c'mon back it up...or STFU...

plenty more run-in and space to land on that lower section of vertigo...perhaps I'll have to reconsider it...so grumpy dump if you show I'll be sure to show you how it's done, right after your attempt....

like I said before there's plenty of guys out there like hammer and 180 just to name a couple that are far better skiers than the madhatter but you ain't ...
You see the difference between you, maddouchebag, and a Hump, is that you are constantly looking for validation to satisfy your ego. Simple as that. Which makes you such an easy punching bag...that and the fact that you keep cumming back for more. It's comical.

Butt don't stop.
Rome is burning, out.
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

throbster wrote:My point is that some snowmaker forgot about the gun he set up on Vertigo and he created a man made disaster (to borrow a spineless Obama term). The result is a very challenging enterance into lower vert which some herb (like WoodyRider) could easily get hurt on. Why not do something about it instead of waiting for a lawsuit?
I agree that in an ideal world, that snowgun would have been shut off a few hours sooner. However, that's what we got. Sending a groomer over it is going to result in barcalounger size chunks, not an improvement.

I'll point out on the trail map Vertigo brandishes a double diamond rating. If you can't handle the 18 feet of vertical the snowcone represents, feel free to exit stage left.

Next you'll want the cliffs out of Devils Fiddle, the pipes out of Scarecrow, the brook out of [insert trail name here] and the boulders out of Stitchline.
rogman
Postinator

Post by rogman »

Did it Friday; yeah it was a challenge. For, IDK, 6 seconds? Whatever. Suck it up. If you think it's too hard, Okemo is right up the road.
Woodsrider
Slalom Racer

Post by Woodsrider »

The parts of the trail you are complaining about are rock gardens that melt out 1st, chew up skis and cause trail closure. Killington did the right thing by piling snow there. If your afraid of the ice either use the big rock right center to slow down or better yet find a trail that better suits your ability. People like you ruin the trail by sliding off and trashing the big pile of snow on the left side by the trees.
You have made it very clear that the vertigo head wall in typical eastern conditions exceeds your ability. Calling me a herb when I consider these conditions a fun challenge only makes you a fool too.
brownman
Postinator

Post by brownman »

We don't need no stinkin BarcaLounger :lol:
Lots of remedies for Vertigo.
Consult a physician :idea:
Conehead out.
Forever .. Goat Path
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

I skied it last on Saturday. I chose to do the lower entrance which had a very narrow piece of snow but if you entered and pointed your skis straight down you would have avoided the ice. Another time I went through the woods and came out just below the ice. Don't know what the entrance is like now after the freeze so will wait until it softens to try it again.
throbster
Postaholic

Post by throbster »

Attachments
Style-6-talking-to-wall-300x290.jpg
Style-6-talking-to-wall-300x290.jpg (27.05 KiB) Viewed 586 times
I get all the news I need from the weather report

- Simon and Garfunkel
Captain Hafski
Poster Child Poster

Post by Captain Hafski »

Throbster is spot on here; they put up a gun to cover the rock slide entrance [great f'ing idea !!] and forgot about it for a few days.

Thus, the "Ice Cone".

However, once this was done, nothing they can do about it. It was wet snow to begin with, got r*ined on, and froze up solid. It is not groomable.

Similar to the mostly crappy snow they blow out of the Low-E guns; once they freeze up, they really can't be completely groomed [i.e., knocked down flat]. Hasn't anyone else noticed this last few years? Most our our groomed trails still have the snowmaking 'ridge' and 'whale' formations after initial grooming. The cats can't get through that sh*t.

So much for the facts. I am on the fence w.r.t. whether or not I like the lack of traffic the Ice Cone yields vs. the death slide down it. I guess I like it as it offerred up some decent skiing this year when there was little else challenging terrain that was skiable.
Goes to show, you don't never know
Watch each card you play, and play it slow
Don't you let that deal go down
Don't you let that deal go down

Looks like its going down no matter what I do !!!
brownman
Postinator

Post by brownman »

Air that out and stick the landing.
C'mon man .. You can do it 8)

:Toast
Forever .. Goat Path
hillbangin
Wanted Poster

Post by hillbangin »

If they made snow underneath the cone it would be an epic headwall that could be hucked.

The bitching here is not that the entrance is difficult - it's that it is a man made mess.

The fred's and julie's can't find Vertigo so it does not really matter.
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

hillbangin wrote:If they made snow underneath the cone it would be an epic headwall that could be hucked.

The bitching here is not that the entrance is difficult - it's that it is a man made mess.

The fred's and julie's can't find Vertigo so it does not really matter.
My friend skied the upper headwall and the middle but when she saw the lower headwall she passed on it because she didn't want to get hurt as she is going on a ski trip to Europe soon. Everyone can make their own choice whether they want to tackle it or not. I did not make fun of her for not trying it - I understood her concern and we met at the bottom of Vertigo and continued skiing.
f.a.s.t.
Wanted Poster

Post by f.a.s.t. »

Will someone please take a picture of this Vertigo Ice Cone so we can see what the heck three pages is all about.
!!!!!!!!!! MAKE AMERICA LOVE AGAIN !!!!!!!!!!
frankieski
Beginner On Rentals

Post by frankieski »

f.a.s.t. wrote:Will someone please take a picture of this Vertigo Ice Cone so we can see what the heck three pages is all about.

Agreed
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

frankieski wrote:
f.a.s.t. wrote:Will someone please take a picture of this Vertigo Ice Cone so we can see what the heck three pages is all about.

Agreed
Will do the next time I ski it.