Speed Control at Killington

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

BoozeTan
Guru Poster

Re: Speed Control at Killington

Post by BoozeTan »

daytripper wrote:What seems to get the attention of people I'm passing the best is to clank my pole together a few times. It always gets people attention when words sometimes don't.
I def appreciate when skiers do this when coming up on me. It lets me know where they are and I will just hold my line straight till they pass. I always have tunes going, but my speakers are in the ear flaps of my helmet. I can here stuff around me, unlike wearing ear buds which I think are a bad idea all around.

Highway Star, I have noticed sometimes when I say on your right/left they get spooked and actually turn into the direction I am saying.
alanlw9
Beginner On Rentals

Post by alanlw9 »

Sgt Eddy Brewers wrote:
Young boarders "buzzing" other slower skiers/riders on green slopes for the thrill of it...that really grinds my gears. Had a daughter hit at high speed by a boarder who had laughed while missing others uphill. Almost killed the young man. .
Young, novice skiers are some of the most unpredictable and dangerous obstacles I have ever encountered at Killington regardless of the speed and trail I was on. Sometimes, think motorcycles, it's easier to SAFELY speed past one of these dangerous obstacles than it is to remain behind them. Perhaps educating our youngsters about responsible skiing and how to share a trail would have better result than excusing bad trail manners because they're your young daughter.
Seacoaster
Bumper

Post by Seacoaster »

Like the way you stated yourself.

The rules in the first sentence are IMPORTANT though. Young boarders "buzzing" other slower skiers/riders on green slopes for the thrill of it...that really grinds my gears. Had a daughter hit at high speed by a boarder who had laughed while missing others uphill. Almost killed the young man. .

Skiing fast on an open trail or through the trees ought to be the source of adrenaline for those that need it. Fast is the whole point for many of us. Fast on crowded slopes is pretty dicey. The deal has got to be that you will be held liable for any damage you caused (need witnesses for this) The courts should have little mercy on that account.[/quote]

LMAO, in all honesty the worst offenders IMO of "buzzing" are the 50+ year old skiers who for some reason still hold a grudge that snowboarders exist. Point and fact, we had a 60ish year old piece of Euro trash not only purposely cut my wife off(she holds a 3-4 wide trail edge line all of the time)on Skylark and almost dropped her in the woods, he then proceed to run over her board as we entered the were unstrapping at the Skyship mid-station, as he skied all of the way down through the coral and to the metal grates. One thing is for sure, if I wasnt a steward of the mountain, I would have beat his ass instead of teaching him the finer points of mountain etiquette. Clearly the issue is not all boarders or skiers, the younger generations do not seem to have this mentality, but it seems a certain bunch just cant get over it. No offense intended towards those in this demographic, as clearly most all are not of this mentality, but when it happens to me, it is almost always of this demographic.
Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Post by Stormchaser »

daytripper wrote:What seems to get the attention of people I'm passing the best is to clank my pole together a few times. It always gets people attention when words sometimes don't.
That's how I find my ski partners in the woods...
ImageImageImageImage
rogman
Postinator

Post by rogman »

Stormchaser wrote:
If you two are clanking your poles together in the woods, you've already found your partner...
Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Post by Stormchaser »

rogman wrote:
Stormchaser wrote:
If you two are clanking your poles together in the woods, you've already found your partner...
Classic. Nice werk!

I have two of my own poles. Bash away!

If you can't get someone's attention, clank your pole! That should do it!
ImageImageImageImage
hillbangin
Wanted Poster

Post by hillbangin »

Watch out - Revenue enforcement on high! These are illegal in most states.......

Rutland Barracks / DUI Checkpoint

SUMMARY OF INCIDENT: On December 27, 2019, at 2030 hours Troopers from the Vermont State Police Rutland barracks, along with Deputies from the Rutland County Sherriff’s Department, and Officers from the Fair Haven Police Department conducted a safety/sobriety checkpoint on Killington Road, in the Town of Killington. The purpose of the checkpoint was to deter distracted, impaired, and aggressive driving. During this checkpoint, officers made contact with approximately 260 cars, screened 7 operators for DUI impairment, and arrested 1 operator for driving under the influence of alcohol.

The Vermont State Police would like to remind operators to drive safe and sober during this holiday season.

http://vtstatepolice.blogspot.com/2019/ ... point.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
brownman
Postinator

Post by brownman »

They love pumpkin plates .. xtra points on the monthly tally :twisted:

:Toast
Forever .. Goat Path
newpylong1
Poster Child Poster

Post by newpylong1 »

hillbangin wrote:Watch out - Revenue enforcement on high! These are illegal in most states.......

Rutland Barracks / DUI Checkpoint

SUMMARY OF INCIDENT: On December 27, 2019, at 2030 hours Troopers from the Vermont State Police Rutland barracks, along with Deputies from the Rutland County Sherriff’s Department, and Officers from the Fair Haven Police Department conducted a safety/sobriety checkpoint on Killington Road, in the Town of Killington. The purpose of the checkpoint was to deter distracted, impaired, and aggressive driving. During this checkpoint, officers made contact with approximately 260 cars, screened 7 operators for DUI impairment, and arrested 1 operator for driving under the influence of alcohol.

The Vermont State Police would like to remind operators to drive safe and sober during this holiday season.

http://vtstatepolice.blogspot.com/2019/ ... point.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
By most states you mean only around a dozen (that outlaw randoms)...